Where to start - Posted by Aaron

Posted by Matthew Chan on May 18, 1999 at 12:27:44:

You may need to select an area or 2 to specialize in to get some cash first because the courses can add up for someone that has no credit, no money.

It is hard for me to select only one course because I tend to take a holistic approach and create my own approach based upon the very best ideas of the experts.

Personally, I have spent the most time thus far on Legrand, Bronchick, and Scruggs materials. They complement each other nicely.

I guess I can’t answer your question on the 1 course selection because I recommend at least 2 to get differing points of view and approaches. The exception is probably Lonnie Scruggs mobile homes books. He has that nearly ALL to himself!

Where to start - Posted by Aaron

Posted by Aaron on May 16, 1999 at 18:58:26:

I just purchased Carleton Sheets course today. I have been reading this message board for about 2 weeks now, and i decided I should do it. I was just wondering how long after I get it, should I take action? is it something I have to read for months to understand enough to act on?

Re: Where to start - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on May 17, 1999 at 03:57:09:

The C.S. course has lots of good information and how I got my start in pursuing CRE. However, you should realize that details are lacking in many areas. If you “get it” meaning that you learn there are lots of ways of doing deals, the importance of marketing, finding motivated sellers, etc., I think you will “graduate” to the meatier stuff sold on this site.

In my opinion, the C.S. course is only the beginning…(albeit a good one). If you are doing rentals and basic rehabs, it is good enough to take action.

Re: Where to start - Posted by Mike (Me.)

Posted by Mike (Me.) on May 16, 1999 at 20:15:40:

Hello Aaron,
The course is very easy to understand.
To be frank, you do not really need to wait until you
finish reading before you begin. I say that because the
basic theme of all r.e. courses is that there is no laws in this business that say you need to by r.e. in
a specific manner. Real estate is totally open to
what you and a seller agree to. The learning just
makes you better at it.

Re: Where to start - Posted by Peter Wells

Posted by Peter Wells on May 18, 1999 at 19:07:10:

Yes… I agree C.S. course is “very basic” to say the least. It’s good for someone who know nothing about R.E.

Re: Where to start - Posted by Barbara

Posted by Barbara on May 18, 1999 at 06:41:14:

What course would you recommend starting with?
Or which are your favorites? And why?
Thanks!!!

Re: Where to start - Posted by Jon

Posted by Jon on May 20, 1999 at 22:04:05:

That has been my biggest hang up with this program. I have had it for 2 years now and I understand most of it but I always thought I was missing something. It seems to me that you need someone to back you when you first get started and then go from there. That is what I took from it. It is funny because I went to meet a Real Estate Broker about becoming an agent and he happen to be speaking to someone who imagine was a new agent. The things he was explaining to her, were the same things I read in the course, so I learned that it not a science, it is an art.
I truly believe that you can not be afraid of someone saying you are nuts because some people that I have spoken to have said that ot me. These are just family and friends. I think the best way is really to deal with someone who is selling because they have a different mind frame then someone who really does not have your ambition and I know for me,it was discouraging.