which buyer should i sell the home to? - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by steph in tex on February 05, 2000 at 18:01:41:

but i mean literaly!
kinda like…“hehe- yeah like that’s gonna happen?- not likely…” you know?
i re-read my post-
it did sound like a chuckle for the “play” of the deal-
i didn’t mean that! LOL-
thanks!
steph in tex

which buyer should i sell the home to? - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on February 04, 2000 at 17:55:54:

Hello everyone,

I’m in sort of a dilemma. And I guess it’s a good dilemma to be in. I have 2 potential buyers for my mobile home right now.

The first one knocked on my door the other day because the park manager told him where I lived. (and i live in an apartment nearby the park, so he walked to it) He told me that he was interested in the home and that he would give me $1,000 down. After talking to him for a while, he tells me that he’s self-employed and he wanted to know what would happen if he gets hurt and couldn’t work, he wanted to know if he still had to make his payments, then he corrected his self and said well i guess it’s just like a car payment, if i don’t make it you’ll take it. And I told him, yep, but i also explained to him that if he was paying me $400/month and then got hurt and could only pay me $200/month that that could be negotiated possibly, but NO PAYMENT would mean NO HOUSE! and he said he understood.

ok so that’s number 1.

So today I get a phone call from number 2. She tells me, i’m in a hotel with my husband i want the home NOW, please don’t sell it to anyone else. I’ll be there tomorrow to look at it and to fill out the application. I tell her how much it is and then i tell her that if she could pay me in CASH that I could probably do better on the price. And she tells me that she’ll definitely PAY CASH! She said, “I’ll bring the $7,000 cash tomorrow to you and i’ll fill out the application tomorrow, ok?” And i’m like YEP sure thing, i’ll see you tomorrow. (Now, in my personal life i believe everyone until they show me that i shouldn’t, but in my professional life, I think everyone is a LIAR until they prove me wrong) So, she may very well NEVER show up tomorrow with the cash and then my decision would be made and i’d obviously go with number one. But what if SHE does come tomorrow with the cash?

Number 1 told me that he would bring me a down payment EARLY in the morning because he wants it if he gets approved. Number 2 isn’t coming until the afternoon.

I KNOW that obviously I want the woman who pays me ALL CASH to get the place, but am I, I don’t know obligated to the other guy if he gives me a downpayment first??? I don’t know, mabye I’m having a little problem here with being morally or ethically correct…can someone help me?

Thanks,

CAREY_PA

Re: which buyer should i sell the home to? - Posted by ScottE

Posted by ScottE on February 05, 2000 at 12:50:16:

Carey,

Why not go get another MH deal and get BOTH of your buyers handled?

It looks like the hammer was to drop today, so what happened?

Good luck and good job!

Scott

Re: which buyer should i sell the home to? - Posted by steph in tex

Posted by steph in tex on February 04, 2000 at 20:50:54:

here’s what i’d do…
i’d tell the guy that i’ve had a couple of other
calls come in, and i’m going to take applications
today, review and be making a decision in the morning.
Tell him he’s looking good, but if an “all cash” offer comes in, which is unlikely, he might get bumped- then kinda chuckle-he-he
there- you’ve been honest, and given yourself an out
if you need it.
call him in the am and let him know.
honesty is the best, but in reality- it’s not what you say, but HOW you say it-- you know what i mean?
good luck!
steph in tex

Take the money - Posted by GL

Posted by GL on February 04, 2000 at 19:04:34:

You made a mistake when you told the first guy you would drop his payment to $200 if he got in trouble. You can count on him getting in trouble and staying in trouble. If you are happy with $200 OK.

Take the all cash deal.

You may be well off to tell the first guy it is sold.If the cash buyer falls through you will need a new buyer. Sounds like it won’t take long at the rate you are going.

If you don’t want to lose the first offer, tell him you have a cash offer but will sell to him if the cash offer falls through provided he gives you a deposit.

Also you should tell the cash people you will not take it off the market until you at least get a deposit. Until you get some cash you have nothing, not even a verbal agreement. Make sure you make that plain. If you tell someone you will hold it then you have to hold it even though you will never hear from them again 8 times out of 10.

Re: which buyer should i sell the home to? - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on February 05, 2000 at 13:23:44:

Scott,

Believe me I plan on finding a mobile home for ANYONE that even expresses the slightest interest for the one that i have now. I’ve got them in the back of my mind, the people and the homes i’d like to get them in! but thanks for the thought anyway!

Here’s what happened today:

like i said…in my professional life EVERYONE is a liar until you prove me wrong :slight_smile:

the guy who only had the $1,000 to put down, never showed up this morning. and i spoke with the park manager and she said that he didn’t hand in his application either. (i don’t think she liked him too much and i don’t really think she would have approved him anyway)

the woman who will pay me all cash, she showed up today, filled out the application on the spot, gave me a $100 deposit (while her husband stood next to her yelling at her telling her she should have brought more money with her)

I will take the application to the park manager personally today and the woman told me that upon approval she will be over THAT same day with the rest of the cash for the home. She said she loves it and she wants it and she has the cash…

so we shall see…keep your fingers crossed for me…

OH by the way, I think if this woman gets approved and she gives me $6,900 CASH soon that i may very well be going to the convention if there are any seats left.

thanks for all of your responses! oh and steph, from now on, i’m going to say what you suggested to say and i’m going to say it to EVERYONE! i think lol

have a great weekend everyone and thanks again,

CAREY

That’s good - Posted by Sandy FL

Posted by Sandy FL on February 04, 2000 at 22:20:51:

I would do all of the above and omit the chuckle, maybe I’d shrug instead. You know, like “that’s life”.

Wait who is on first–or is it second - Posted by LennWa

Posted by LennWa on February 04, 2000 at 22:54:01:

Carey looks like you been cooking girl!!! way to go how many mobile homes have you sold now.

But I would not let any of these buyers go. First thing here is you got to know if the lady will be approved by the park on her credit. Then you will know if the gentalman would be your back up.

Get the credit report before you tell him its sold.
and the advice given by the others it sound— they just forgot about one of the buyers passing the P.M. approvel