Who has done a Lonnie deal in Texas? - Posted by Jara in LA

Posted by chill on April 26, 1999 at 17:39:46:

Thanks, Jackie – Wow, that’s a sigh of relief! When we suddenly thought we might have to pay sales tax, that was a downer.

Who has done a Lonnie deal in Texas? - Posted by Jara in LA

Posted by Jara in LA on April 26, 1999 at 09:27:17:

I spent the weekend with my parents in Houston, working on Lonnie deals, even in our sleep! They’ve run the ads, made the calls, seen the homes, got buyer, got sellers, and it looks like several deals are about to happen! We are trying to find the answers to some technical questions: 1 is about sales taxes in Texas–what percentage is charged, who is responsible for sending it in, and to where? Is sales tax due at each and every sale? So if we buy the home one day and sell it the following day, do we owe sales tax twice? I’ve been on several state of Texas web sites, but can’t find this information. Another question concerns the title. If we buy a MH from someone who still owes a mortgage co (GreenTree seems to be the biggest one), how do the current owners get title to give to us? What is the title transfer fee? Do we pay this twice?

Any details on these and similar issues from someone with experience in Texas would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Who has done a Lonnie deal in Texas? - Posted by Jackie in Dallas

Posted by Jackie in Dallas on April 26, 1999 at 17:27:21:

There is NO sales tax on used mobile homes in Texas.

Buying and selling mobile homes in Texas is alot like buying and selling a car. If there is a loan on the home, you CANNOT get the title until the loan is paid off.

The title transfer fee is $35 through the Texas Department of Housing and community Affairs 800-500-7074. BTW - they have a web site with all the forms you’ll need for the transfer too