Who mows the grass? rental property - Posted by Carson

Posted by TOBY on August 15, 2005 at 18:07:28:

You might could find you landscaper and make a deal with him. Tell him to really detail your yard fair price. In return you put in contract they pay a certain amount more and he takes cares of the cutting the grass. You don’t half to worry if the tennant will keep up the property and if you can get a couple of houses in the same subdivision that is where the landscaper can make his money

Who mows the grass? rental property - Posted by Carson

Posted by Carson on August 14, 2005 at 21:44:31:

Who mows the grass for your rental propterties? Do you have to or is that the tenats respocibility?

Which brings up another question, look for a property with an association (town home) or not (twin home or single family?

Re: Who mows the grass? rental property - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on August 16, 2005 at 07:16:03:

Carson:

Curently, I use a lawn mowing service. I had tenants doing it, and if their reliable, its OK, otherwise, got neighbors on my back, and I have to get on the tenant’s back.

In the case of unreliable tenants, I have to listen to stories why its not mowed. Afterwards, I have to hear from neigbors why “absentee landlords” are no good for the neighborhood, and asked “when do I plan to sell the place”.

Now with the lawn service:

-Keeps the lawn nicely trimmed, and doesn’t look like a hurried job done by a tenant, and it looks more like all the nicely manicured lawns in the neighborhood, so neigbors don’t think “absentee landlord” when they drive around the corner, and wonder “when I’ll sell the place”.

-Between tenancies, he can pick stuff off the lawns, and give the place a “live in look”.

-On a few occasions, when I need some “non lawn” outside work done, he was able to recommend someone, or do it himself.

-A local “Century 21” guy that does property management tells me that rather than paying 10% to a property manager (10% of around $1,800 to $2,000), get a local lawn service to keep the lawn nice, and an eye on the place.

Frank Chin

Re: Who mows the grass? rental property - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on August 15, 2005 at 09:43:27:

Carson,

My tenants cut the grass. I state it in my lease that if they do not cut the grass the rent will go up 100 extra dollars a month and I will hire a landscaper to take care of it.

RichV(FL)

Re: Who mows the grass? rental property - Posted by Will

Posted by Will on August 15, 2005 at 07:10:06:

I have a rental property in my neighborhood that I mow. I have another one that the tenant mows. It depends on the lease!

Re: Who mows the grass? rental property - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on August 15, 2005 at 02:40:04:

Unless your lease makes lawn mowing the tenant’s responsibility, it is yours.

Re: Who mows the grass? rental property - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on August 14, 2005 at 22:14:12:

My tenants mow their grass, & if they fail to do so, I knock on the door & offer to refer them to a local mowing service.

It probably depends on the area, but I have always had more faith in the sppreciation of SFR’s, & have never liked the inflated association fees in complexes. The politics can go ballistic, too. However, if your area is urban, you may not have much choice.

Tye

You gave me a good idea! - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on August 15, 2005 at 13:41:48:

Why not offer the tenants a choice? They like that. Either they cut the grass or the lease is not discounted $100. There is a couple key words in there. If the latter is chosen then I hire someone for $80 to cut it. Sounds like a win-win to me. Ofcourse this is all subject to modifications to suit the individual situations that arise.

Re: You gave me a good idea! - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on August 15, 2005 at 17:48:11:

Wayne,

Or better yet, see if you can find a landscaper that charges by the cut (I found one like that this year).

For $20 or $25 a cut you can tell the guy its a rental and you only need him out twice a month (the 15th and 30th).

50 or 60 dollars extra in your pocket per month. I like it.

RichV(FL)