who owes back property taxes - Posted by jim

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on July 07, 2003 at 13:48:24:

Jim-----------

I don’t think that the taxing authorities are correct. I have heard of only one situation whereby delinquent property taxes can become a person lien against the property owners or former property owners. That situation is in CA and applies only if one buys and sells a property in very short order and the county can not get a supplemental tax bill to you before you resell the property.

Perhaps the tax collecting folk thought that your friends are still the owners.

I believe that different states have different laws about paying the property taxes when selling the properties. Here in CA and other states a property owner can sell a property without paying the delinquent property taxes. That would include a lender who acquired the properties by foreclosure. If the sale goes through an escrow, the buyer would have to agree to take the property subject to the delinquent property taxes.

Good InvestingRon Starr*

who owes back property taxes - Posted by jim

Posted by jim on July 07, 2003 at 13:13:30:

a friend just had their house foreclosed on by the lender… they also owed 2 years back property taxes ($12,000) … the taxing authorities were about ready to foreclose on the back taxes…but the owners were 6 months behind on their mortgage and the lender just foreclosed.

The taxing authorities say my friend owes them the $12,000…doesn’t the mortgage company have to pay the back taxes to re-sell the home?

any way for my poor friends to avoid having to pay those back taxes??

thanks for any info…

Ron is right… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on July 07, 2003 at 14:09:54:

property taxes generally run with the land. Therefore when the town forecloses, they are foreclosing against the property. If your friend doesn’t own it anymore, he has no personal responsibility.