Who works the OBITS and - Posted by paula

Posted by Bud Branstetter on July 21, 2002 at 21:39:34:

In Texas you can go to the probate court and look through the files. At first they only want to let you have a file or two at a time. After a while and maybe some donuts you can go pull the files yourself. Laborious but you can find houses, cars etc. Did a couple that way but it was too time intensive. You want to hire someone or find a way to have motivated sellers calling you.

Who works the OBITS and - Posted by paula

Posted by paula on July 21, 2002 at 10:01:58:

how do you go about it?Are you just sending out letters to previous addy or contacting atty.thanks in advance

Re: Who works the OBITS and - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on July 21, 2002 at 15:48:18:

Paula: I don’t work the obits, but I do work the probate listings. In my area, the real property involved is listed in the filing info. If I am interested I send letters to executor or administrator-to-be. I have found the attorneys to be of very little use overall. Except for my first deal where the attorney put the executor in touch with me, most attorneys I have written to or spoken with have seemed quite unhelpful and I have no way of knowing whether my interest or offers ever gets to their clients. I end up talking to the attorney in many cases, but now only after the heir puts me in touch with them.

To me, writing to executors or those in succession to property feels respectful. If they are filing probate, most likely they are already on to the business (emotionally and physically) of dealing with the deceased’s property and assets.

I don’t mention anything about finding the property in probate. My letter asks if they are interested in selling their property at … and if they are to consider letting me make an offer.

Just my experience so far. Sincerely, Kristine

For Kristine-CA–More Info on Probate Listings - Posted by Sharon

Posted by Sharon on July 21, 2002 at 20:18:30:

Kristine–I am a newbie trying to find my niche in this business of real estate. Kindly educate me on the process of locating the probate listings at the county court house. Do you physically go to the court house or do you obtain your information on-line.
I appreciate any help in this matter. Also, how successful have you been in obtaining properties. Are you looking for properties to rehab and then resell or to hold for rental income. Thanks. Sharon

Re: For Kristine-CA–More Info on Probate Listings - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on July 21, 2002 at 23:09:00:

Probate filings for my county are available online from a legal newspaper’s internet service. They are filed irregulary but there are usually new listings available each week. There are new filings and there are probate decrees, where the courts have transferred title, etc.

I doubt if I would be working this area if the info weren’t online. I don’t live anywhere near the courthouse and would not want to spend time there.

I look for anything I can re-sell and mark-up the price enough for my profit. At this time I’m not looking to rehab or hold for rentals, but properties keep presenting themselves with all kinds of interesting challenges and I’m always preparing to close on them myself if a buyer doesn’t show up before escrows closes. So far, so good. But I have a few contracts now that I think I will be looking for hard money or some kind of funding because I’m not seeing the buyers (with cash) on the horizon.

We’ll see… Sincerely, Kristine