Who's Who in Creative Real Estate?? - Posted by Chris JP

Posted by Don on March 02, 2002 at 12:09:52:

John
Im new to the board but youve got my attention.
Do you have a website?
I`d be interested in looking into your course.
Thanks
Don

Who’s Who in Creative Real Estate?? - Posted by Chris JP

Posted by Chris JP on March 01, 2002 at 08:03:01:

Online, I’ve seen people’s credentials list them as being a member of “Who’s Who in Creative Real Estate.”
Anybody have an idea as to who decides this and whether they have a website/listing of all the people who are members for given years?

I’ve done web searches and searched the archives here to no avail…

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Who’s Who in Creative Real Estate?? - Posted by Sally (WA)

Posted by Sally (WA) on March 01, 2002 at 18:57:39:

I have seen different people referred to before as being part of a “who’s who in creative real estate”, but I got the impression they were speaking more of a non-official group of people that were well known in the field of creative real estate, rather than an actual book.

Just my impression.

Re: Who’s Who in Creative Real Estate?? - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on March 01, 2002 at 09:24:08:

You got all the WHO’S who in creative real estate right here!

JPiper, JHyre, Phil Fernandez, Steve Cook, Ed Garcia, Terry Vaughn, Johnboy, etc…what more are you looking for??

:slight_smile:

CAREY

Re: Who’s Who in Creative Real Estate?? - Posted by bob

Posted by bob on March 01, 2002 at 09:17:22:

If it’s like any other “Who’s Who’s list” If you buy the book you get in…

It was a publication until a few years ago. - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on March 01, 2002 at 22:22:54:

There was a legitimate publication. I may have one around here somewhere. Only a few of the educators around today have been listed. Many do not have the training or education that would qualify them to be in the publication.

Yes, BUT!!.. - Posted by Chris JP

Posted by Chris JP on March 01, 2002 at 17:50:07:

CAREY,

I COMPLETELY concur! I’m addicted to this site!

However, I’ve read in many posts and other places the obvious advice to “ask an attorney/etc in your area.” That’s what I’m really trying to do, is to find folks familiar with CRE in a certain area. Bob brought up a good point which I had forgotten about - anyone that pays the “Who’s Who” people will get in their book. But, unlike the “Who’s Who” for High School, “Who’s Who in Creative Real Estate” at least breaks someone out as being INTERESTED in CRE.

Since CRE is such a unique, fairly well-defined field (although there are NUMEROUS techniques), it would be GREAT if there were some sort of “master list” which listed people, location, profession, and technique specialty. I was wondering if such a thing exists somewhere, and I figured “Who’s Who” would be a good place to start.

The other thing I’m doing is contacting the local CRE clubs to get inputs from them…

Thanks!,
Chris

Absolutely FALSE! - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on March 01, 2002 at 22:17:05:

Who’s Who in Creative Real Estate was published for many years by two of the most respected names in real estate exchanging and education - Bill Broadbent and George Rosenberg.

Each candidate or member has had many courses that cover the heart of true creative and PROFESSIONAL real estate investment, brokerage, consulting, etc. Sadly, few courses today even come close to the quality and content of the carefully scrutinized courses that made up the requirements for the “Who’s Who” listing.

No one ever had to buy a copy. Copies were fairly inexpensive and were used as a tool to find qualified and creative agents, CPA’s and Attorneys in the field of creative real estate.

Three core courses were required. A course in Exchanging from the likes of Royce Ringsdorf or others, Counseling from the likes of Charles Chattham, and Taxation from the likes of Chuck Considine. The fact that many or most in today’s market may not even recognize those names is a shame. Education has gone downhill since.

A variety of other courses were required to fill the requirements in addition to the three core courses. A course had to be carefully approved by Bill Broadbent and George Rosenberg. Most of today?s courses would not meet the requirements. Even mine didn?t at first. Bill said at the time that he didn?t feel I addressed the ?risks? of paper investment in enough detail. In my first course, I would have to agree. He also felt that the possibility of buying notes with discounts as high as 40-50% was ?un-realistic?. About a year later he came up to me excited about a high discount partial deal he had done as a result of reading my newsletter. I?m sure he would accept my video course as a qualifying course if they were still publishing ?Who?s Who?.

The question that was posed here may refer to me. There are few others around right now that were in ?Who?s Who in Creative Real Estate?. I was in it for many years until they stopped publishing it. If it?s a matter of buying your way in, in some ways I?d have to agree. Spend a hundred thousand or so on education and several million in experience and you too could be listed if it were still published.

READ the post below - you can’t buy your way in. - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on March 01, 2002 at 22:19:00:

It was a legitimate publication and probably the best resource there has ever been to identify agents, CPA’s and Attorneys that were capable and qualified.

Re: Absolutely FALSE! - Posted by ScottE

Posted by ScottE on March 02, 2002 at 22:37:26:

John,
Great to see you posting again! I appreciate your thoughtful posts.

Scott