WHY IS IT? - Posted by Juynot

Posted by Teresa on February 08, 2001 at 24:09:39:

I am brand new at real estate investing (since Nov). I’ve only been reading these posts for 3 weeks, but I have learned a lot. Also, in any occupation you pay money to learn the trade. If you go backwards 1 week in the posts one of the people that writes a lot listed three books to read at the very beginning. I think they were all at the library. You don’t have to buy a bunch of courses, otherwise you get caught up in professional education with no practical experience. You need both. Don’t be too discouraged, you have to start somewhere. I’d spend a lot of time here because there is a lot to learn, I’d read some books, and I’d be looking for properties at the same time. I’m on my second property now so I am really doing it, but I still have a lot to learn.

WHY IS IT? - Posted by Juynot

Posted by Juynot on February 07, 2001 at 23:22:27:

I would like to know why Gurus constantly create real estate courses, and write books that cost so much to purchase. I took a look at the pricing for Ron LeGrand’s books and to my astonishment I found that they were $600. What the heck is someone trying to make money at real estate gonna do? Gurus claim that when you make money you share it not only with God (tithing, depending on your belief), but also your fellow man. This is complete bull, and if it not be please intercede. I want to go to seminars to try to embetter my situation, but I have to give all I have to do that. I don’t want sympathy I am willing to work at real estate to make money, but these sayings that anyone can, if they change their thinking, be rich, is a falsehood! Anyone cannot make money at real estate, as the Gurus tell you, without paying for something to learn how to make money. I love real estate and have I have always believed that if you enjoy something stick with it and make it work, but nothing except old books at the library, help as tangible resources for information. Gurus claim to come to areas and teach people, for no money, how to make money at real estate. Did I mention that it must not be Northern NJ, and if it is where the heck have I been? I’m not blaming anyone, but the meaning of giving is giving to those who need not some charities where you give money and don’t know where your money really goes. I mean, REALLY THINK ABOUT IT!! Do you really think that if half the money you give to charity, unless it’s your own foundation, really goes to charity? Nevertheless, I want to learn so that I can “Preach One” and “Teach One.”

Re: WHY IS IT? Because of your attitude!! - Posted by Scott AZ

Posted by Scott AZ on February 08, 2001 at 18:50:31:

First off change your whole attitude!
Stop blaming strangers for your ignorance.
If you think education is expensive, try to imagine the true cost of your ignorance and self-pity!
I’ve found on this site more then enough info to get started doind re deals. I’ve even found through the kindness of complete strangers answers to the little question that make me give up. Thanks to Matt B i’m getting started this weekend, posting signs ect…
Start to realize the resources in right in front of you and success is very VERY possible

a true story - Posted by George

Posted by George on February 08, 2001 at 18:18:21:

There was a guy who did not have any money, no car, no credit, no very good English. this guy wanted to start a business, but he did not have any money. He sold his microwave and color TV, borrow some money from a friend (about $200). He also invested over $1,000 in personal development training. He purchased all those tools through a 30 days free trial (no money down) A year later he was earning about $50,000 a year, today he is earning a steady six figure income, now he is going into real estate as a side investment while expanding his business worldwide, this guy will become very wealthy one day…and all started because he had a dream and a vison, money did not stop him…I know the guy Very well…

$600 is nothing! you are not buying a McDonald Franchise, you are investing in the starting of something big…however, if you reallly can’t get any money, you can start with a book,

I like some of the old books like Robert Allen Nothing Down. some of his ideas may be a little outdated, but in general, it is a fantastic book. William Nickerson book How I made $ 1,000,000 in 3 years is a great book on rehabs…

Anyway, never put a price on education, it is priceless!!

Re: WHY IS IT? - Posted by dewCO

Posted by dewCO on February 08, 2001 at 09:29:14:

Ok, so you’ve ranted. Now what? ALl the info here is free. It’s basically the same as the courses out there, it’s just in little tiny pieces and will take longer to assimilate all of it. Don’t know where your library is, but not all the books are old. And people have said to check ebay and such for discounted courses. So you have lots of choices it would seem. No go forth and conquer!

I agree & disagree! - Posted by CurtNY

Posted by CurtNY on February 08, 2001 at 09:26:32:

Juynot,
I agree, the gurus make false statements. “anyone can become a millionaire working in real estate” NOT TRUE. RE investing is like anything else, to be successful takes hard work, failure, and a thick skin. RE Investing is not a get rich quick scheme many gurus make it out to be “make millions in thirty days or less”. If you’re determined though you can make it. As far as the price $600 is a steal! The problem is you’re still thinking within the box. Next time your at the bookstore pick up “Cash Flow Quadrant” its a great book and will help you through this money issue. I know how your feeling I felt the same way when I first started. But if your like me once you start you won’t be able to stop you’ll be reading everything you can get your hands on. Best of luck to you!

CurtNY

Outrageous is when you have to pay ? - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on February 08, 2001 at 09:13:50:

I took a about 6 of Real Estate courses at NYU (New York University)some years back. Checking the course catolgue recently, these courses goes for several hundred dollars per semester.

So, is $600.00 outrageuos?

Then, I talk to some of my tenants who feel rents are outrageous. They feel that I do nothing but make money off the rents every month.

Recently I’m checking out some commercial properties which includes a small takeout type restaurant paying $1,800 per month - or about $60.00/day. Sat down for a leisurely meal to see how the guy is doing. I concluded I’ll be making more money than he does.

So is the $1,800 rent outrageous?

Think about it this way. The gurus are making money off of you so you can make money off your tenants.

If you’re not an easy money type of guy - then there’s plenty of properties around where landlords are giving them away because tenants don’t believe in paying rents.

Then you don’t have to pay for outrageous courses, buy properties at outrageus prices and worry about collecting outrageous rents.

Gimme a break… - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on February 08, 2001 at 07:30:52:

Juynot,
And what if the courses cost $5,000? How much exactly would you expect to make on ONE real estate deal? If it’s less than that, you’re not paying attention. What if it were $10,000? Then it would take you TWO whole deals (at bare minimum profit margins) to break even, but you would have the knowledge and experience to do that for the rest of your life. How much does it cost then?

If you’re completely broke now with absolutely no resources, find a way to learn cheaply and find a way to change your mindset. If you currently think $600 is A LOT of money, you have some work to do on your thinking. Then do a deal and spend some of your profits on your education. Rinse and repeat.

I’ll aologize for my tone since it’s not particularly directed at you. However, I can’t stand the whiny, “poor-me, I’m a victim, the gurus owe me” slant to your post. Nobody owes you nothing. If you want to do real estate, you will. And of course you’re asking for sympathy - that’s the whole point of your post. And no, you don’t get the fact that changing your thinking will further your progress toward financial freedom because you’re still stuck.

Read EVERYTHING on this site and then read it again. Come here daily and read the various newsgroups. Find someone in your area who will let you borrow a course. Yeah, yeah, I know - look harder. Then go do a deal.

Sorry, again, but these type posts just tick me off. I promise you that if you stick with it that a year from now you would laugh and be embarrassed by your post. I’m no veteran and this is just one person’s opinion. Hope you stick around…

Re: WHY IS IT? - Posted by Shaun

Posted by Shaun on February 08, 2001 at 06:40:07:

You ramble a lot, but I think your point is why do Gurus charge so much for their courses? Good question. Basically I would say some charge what the traffic will bear. Others are more reasonable and humanitarian. It may have to do with ego. LeGrand takes the cake in that department. He believes he is the best, just ask him, in fact he will tell you without asking, and he well may be! He is certainly good and maybe even better. Others charge as much or more and have little to offer, except a long string of complaints i.e. Whitney, Nationwide,Warren, etc. Even Carlton Sheets is initially, not very expensive if you stay away from his mentoring services. What he appears to have is a basic and a informative starter, but not particularily applicable to some one who already has some basic Real Estate Investing knowledge. He makes his money by the huge volume of sales he gets through his Infomercials. These and other Infomercial Gurus in the past such as Vu, DelDatto, McCorkel and others, should give you a red light indication by the techniques they portray on their Infomercials. However, they and LeGrand, for all his successes, which are now even producing self styled Gurus from his students, who charge almost as much, are not the only fish in the sea!. Look on this site, side bar, there are plenty of good teachers with reasonable prices and for that matter excellent information all over this site that is even free that will give all most any newbie more than he can absorb! Another excellent source, that is little or no cost, is your local non profit Real Estate Investors Association. The local library is another. You can even get courses for less in the secondary market. If you don’t like the high prices, don’t buy! You have to determine what you believe it will be worth to you, from all the information you can obtain (and the search engines on this site are a good place to start}then make an informmed decision of were to spend your money for education. Go to the CRE Convention and see what is available from the source. That is what we believe is the best course of action. Does this make sense?

Re: WHY IS IT? - Posted by Charles Steed

Posted by Charles Steed on February 08, 2001 at 24:35:51:

Wow! You sure said a mouth full. I’m not sure what a lot of it meant but I think I follow your drift. I’ve spent more than $20K in education since 1982. My first seminar was with Robert Allen. $5K - 4 day event. Worth every penny. In my opinion, LeGrand is the most straight forward, no BS guy teaching the stuff today. He doesn’t mince words. I was at one of his live events in 1995 where a guy, after hearing about NV corporations, jumped up to sign up for one.

LeGrand told him to sit down. He said “You don’t need to spend money on a corp., you need to get your lazy butt out there and find a deal.” I guess the guy was a groupie who’d bought just about everything the master had to sell, but wouldn’t get out into the real marketplace. I’ve had the greatest amount of respect for the man ever since.

You’ve probably heard the cliches about education being expensive, so try ignorance, or pay me now or pay in the school of hard knocks, well, they’re more than just cute sayings. They’re real. Success is simple. Find a pattern or system that’s predictable, repeatable and reliable and learn to exploit that system. Also, learn from them that’s doin’ it. Well, LeGrand’s doin’ it. A wise person learns from the experiences of others. I think the stuff (books, tapes, whatever) would be worth $600, $900, or more, if it causes you to make a change for the better. Remember, people have little respect for things that come free or too easy.

Re: WHY IS IT? - Posted by So you want to know!

Posted by So you want to know! on February 07, 2001 at 23:58:31:

Well lets see where to start here. Oh ya that’s right we are here to learn. How much did it cost you to access this web site? How much did it cost you for the FREE articles? I guess these people that are selling these courses are a bunch of crooks. I guess just one idea from them might save you hundreds if not Thousands of dollars in the long run. If you are going to get into real estate, There are two ways to get your education. Buy a course and learn on the street. Learning on the street and be very Expensive. Not to be to hard on you but it seems you have very little real estate experience. What’s worth more paying $600.00 for a course or haveing a renter stay in a property and run it down for 6 months and having a heck of a time getting rid of them. For example:

• 6 months of rent @ $500.00 a month = $3,000
  • Repairs (Cause you know they are taking extra special care of your property) = $3,000.
  • 6 months of a wonderfull feelings. = ???

My point is what cost more? Why put a limit on learning. As time goes on you will learn either the hard way or the easy way. Please note that the people selling these courses do give free advice when a question is ask. Are you saying that there expert wisdom is not worth it? All I know that they are worth every dollar I spend and then some. Hats of to those that are willing to help others. Please take note of this. Before you come out swinging punches with a question like your. HAVE A SEAT AND listen to what these experts have to say.

You Ask for it.

Mark - IL

calmer now… - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on February 08, 2001 at 07:49:49:

Juynot,
Here’s an oversimplified, but accurate analogy of what a good course can do for you. If I were to give you a sequence of numbers that you have to punch on your telephone keypad that would make you thousands of dollars every time you went through the process, how much is that worth? Yes, you may occasionally misdial or punch the numbers out of sequence, but you have the CODE. That’s what a good course is. It takes you from step A to step Z to make you money for a ONE-TIME fee. Is real estate that easy? No, but a good course is invaluable. Hope that gives you a different perspective.