Will I see you at the convention this year? - Posted by SCook85

Posted by Rob FL on December 21, 2000 at 10:59:49:

Sure you can make a partial real estate purchase. It’s called “tenants in common.” If you and two partners want to buy property, you could buy it as X,Y, and Z with each owning a 1/3 interest.

Although I have never actually done one this way, I have read in several different courses about buying a 50% interest from the seller and in return catching up their mortgage payments – equity sharing. Also Bill Gatten has a similar technique of buying a partial interest as a co-beneficiary under his PacTrust.

Will I see you at the convention this year? - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on December 20, 2000 at 09:19:04:

It’s reunion time. I have made many wonderful friends throughout the country through this site and have met many of them in person at the conventions. Who will be there this year?

Get well rested before you come in. I slept a total of only 9 hours at the last two convetions. Late nights, early mornings, and seminars throughout the day with some of the most brilliant investors in the country is awesome. The list of speakers is only the beginning of what is offered. I believe that there were 450+ people at the convention last year, every single one of whom had a common interest, and that was real estate investing. You can learn just about anything there.

I know some of you owe me a drink or so, and I owe some of you. So tell me, who is going to be there this year? and how long are you going to wait to sign up? (plane tickets are cheap now and JP is offering a discount for early sign ups). Hope to see you ALL there.

Happy Investing!

Steve

Absolutely!.. and a word for honestyq - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on December 21, 2000 at 11:33:35:

Steve,

I’ll be there, and look forward to seeing you and all the other friends met here. Like Tim, I knew after the first convention I attended in Dallas that I would be hooked.

I plan to have a new book finished on commercial real estate. It is my goal for this book to answer the question I am asked more than any other… “How do I get from doing SFR’s to multi’s, or other commercial properties?” Here’s hoping the muse is kind…

I will also be hosting a round table again… wouldn’t miss it. Every time I do it I am amazed at the deals that are out there. You’ll get my infamous(?) two-minute analysis as well as the input of others that may have similar experience. It’s always lots of fun…

As for honestyq’s skepticism… there is a pair of Sanskrit sayings that sum up my own reasons for sharing what I have learned.

The first is, “We teach best what we most need to learn”. As others have commented below, I invariably learn as much as anyone when answering questions or giving a seminar. I am often asked questions that spur thoughts in directions never considered, and in order for me to supply accurate information I often have to do some research. I certainly don’t know it all, and quite often the research shows me new ways of doing things.

The second saying is “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” This is a little more philosophical… Throughout the course of my life there have appeared people to guide me along my path at exactly the right time and place. This happens so regularly I have come to not only rely on it, but to expect it. But there’s a catch… I have found that the necessary prerequisite to receiving such help and guidance is that I must be willing and ready to supply the same guidance to those coming across my path. So while it may seem an altruistic act, for me it is in fact a sort of selfish stewardship… I give because I want to continue to grow, in both knowledge and blessings, so I attempt to pass it on as freely as it was given to me.

Sappy? Perhaps, but my life is so much better than I ever dreamed it could be since finding and utilizing this golden key to living, that I can’t imagine any other way.

Scoff if you like, but remember, “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” So the real question is, “Are you ready?”

and that’s enough outta me…

ray

If we’re alive, we’ll be there… - Posted by TRandle

Posted by TRandle on December 20, 2000 at 23:19:55:

Steve,
Kel and I look forward to bending your ear again in the bar. I can’t wait to hook up with all the CREO folks! I hadn’t planned on this being an annual event prior to attending last year’s, but knew immediately upon arrival it would be. Too bad I didn’t have enough sense to attend the one in Dallas as a newbie…see you soon.

Round table excitement !!! - Posted by mike

Posted by mike on December 20, 2000 at 23:15:44:

An associate of mine [ a Lawyer ] once said to me, consider this Mike, “sometimes you don’t know what you dont know”!
The excitemment of the round table discusions and the conference in general have me nervous as all H**LL that I won’t know what I don’t know…LOL

booking my flight now! see you there!(nt) - Posted by Dee-Texas

Posted by Dee-Texas on December 20, 2000 at 23:14:21:

Re: Will I see you at the convention this year? - Posted by JohnB_NJ

Posted by JohnB_NJ on December 20, 2000 at 21:40:38:

Good day, Steve…

I will be there. I look foward to seeing everyone again. Of course, I will be taking notes and staying up late. Sleep is optional!

Happy Holidays!!

Sincerely,
John Bittel

Was going to say… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on December 20, 2000 at 16:18:26:

Not sure…
Because I have two other events that month also.

But hey, guess I better not miss the family reunion, see everyone there…

David Alexander

Re: Will I see you at the convention this year? - Posted by Merle

Posted by Merle on December 20, 2000 at 14:21:34:

Yes, to your question … we will be there this year.

In response to honestyq’s question … JP asked us to host a round table discussion. That’s where anyone can sit down with us and ask any question they want about our business and how we do it. You asked why would anyone do that. There are several reasons for us. First, we learn more about what we are doing everytime we explain it to someone else. I sharpen my “presentations” every time we buy a house, l/o a house, or for that matter, just try to assist someone with a problem.

In fact, we probably get more out of the information exchange than anyone listening.

Second, we owe for our success. Over the years, many people have offered their thoughts and ideas … some useable, some not … but, without asking for anything in return. Of course, there have many who said it wouldn’t work and you learn from them as well. After all, they tell you where to find many of your problems … even before you know they exist.

We’ve been doing this business for 16 years in a city of about 180,000. Hard to say how many people have acquired copies of our ads, contracts, and other documents. So simple to call our phone number to learn what we tell buyers and sellers when they call. In fact, you can do that, then go by one of the houses to see our signs and windowads.

Yet, in all that time, noone has created any problems for us from the competition standpoint. As Jim Piper says below, it takes “execution.” Unfortunately, too many people spend all their life gathering information, but never take a step toward applying that information.

I welcome you to sit at our table. Ask questions.

You will also want to visit with all the others. As you ask and listen, pick and choose those ideas that seem to fit the plan you have created for yourself (or, the one you are creating). It is highly unlikely that you will want to copy and/or become a competitor with anyone there. To be successful, you must become “yourself.”

Merle

P.S. We plan to arrive in time for golf on Thursday and perhaps stay to play on Monday. If anyone is interested in playing, let me know. We prefer that to the bar.

what to do with the… - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on December 20, 2000 at 13:55:48:

…‘kidlets’…if both spouses go… That’s MY problem.

We don’t have any family nearby to watch our little guy.

Any daycare on site at the hotel, per chance?

If I abandon hubby and go by myself, I’ll probably be shackled to the kitchen sink for the rest of the year.

:slight_smile:

Re: Will I see you at the convention this year? - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on December 20, 2000 at 12:18:36:

Steve,

I’ll be there. It’ll be my third CREOnline convention (the first one had already been held in Las Vegas before I discovered this web site).

I’m lookin’ forward to seeing you again as well as all of the other friends I’ve met at the last two conventions.

As Ed Garcia mentioned in his post to this thread, one can learn a lot in the BAR. I guess this time I’ll have to curtail my “elbow bending” so that I’ll actually be able to remember what happens in the bar. (LOL)

See you in Atlanta.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Re: Absolutely - Posted by Jim Rayner

Posted by Jim Rayner on December 20, 2000 at 11:19:19:

Looking forward to it as always and right now, while I’m stuggling with the seller from **** who wants to walk today in the bottom of the ninth, this little break in the midst of the turmoil of the last 24 hours is a most welcome break. I’d much prefer to be at the convention right now than dealing with this mess.
Whether or not we pull this one back out of the fire, I will have a great experience to share at the convention. Well back to problem solving. See you there

I will be there this year! - Posted by Mark-NC

Posted by Mark-NC on December 20, 2000 at 11:14:14:

Unfortunatley time and space does not allow me to be in two places at once, so I missed the last two years.

But not this year. My scheduale is going to revolve around this event.

I am really looking forward to meeting everyone and joining in on the fun and learning experiance.

See you all there!

Mark

I’m getting exited… - Posted by Jeanne

Posted by Jeanne on December 20, 2000 at 10:46:18:

I’ll be the twenty-something brunette in the back of the conference room with the bags under her bloodshot eyes. I’ll see you all in the “lounge” Thursday night (but not too late).

Jeanne

I’m There Steve - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on December 20, 2000 at 10:21:40:

Hi Steve,

Can’t wait. Seems like just yesterday I met you at CREOnline convention # 2 in Dallas. Now it’ll be our third one in a row.

There must be a reason why we keep going back to these conventions. It’s the knowledge gained. I can’t wait to learn more. The frienships that we all make. The networking. The great food and drink.

See you at CREOnline convention #4 in Atlanta.

Re: Will I see you at the convention this year? - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on December 20, 2000 at 09:40:02:

I’ll be there Steve. Look forward to seeing you again.

JPiper

sorry for being blunt - Posted by honestyq

Posted by honestyq on December 20, 2000 at 09:39:17:

but I think this is a question many starting real estate investors have but are not asking.

Do you really believe experienced investors would share ALL information they know about investing, considering the fact that giving away information could cause them increased competition in areas they may dominate? For example, why would anyone give secret information on how they find motivated sellers to someone else who might be their competitor and taking potential sellers away from them?

I realize that we all have some generosity, however, all of us have greed as well, don’t we?

Thanks in advance for all your honest responses.
honestyq

I’ll be there…somehow…oh and Steve - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on December 20, 2000 at 09:32:40:

I owe you a dinner and you better let me buy you dinner this time! :slight_smile:

I was curious about plane tickets, I thought they were cheaper the closer you got to the date…hmmm…

see ya in Atlanta Steve!

CAREY

P.S. Any Chance… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on December 20, 2000 at 16:25:41:

that someone wants to go with me to Washington I believe and lets tie up and blindfold Joe Kaiser and bring him there.

Joe… What do we have to do to get ya there… :slight_smile:

A drink, a meal,… or all of them, Hope somehow you decide to join us… lot a folks want to shake your hand and say thank you in person for your wisdom.

David Alexander

Re: Will I see you at the convention this year? - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on December 21, 2000 at 10:48:34:

Merle,

If you can tolerate a bogey golfer (on a good day), then count me in for Thursday. Will have to take Monday under advisement!

Look forward to meeting you.

ray @lcorn