Will it work for me? - Posted by Mari

Posted by HR on March 22, 2000 at 17:42:35:

ntt

Will it work for me? - Posted by Mari

Posted by Mari on March 18, 2000 at 23:14:50:

I’ve had the course for about two years but have not done anything with it. I was excited when I first got it but when I went through it, I really didn’t get it and did not want to go through it again. I recently saw he CS infomercial again and again got excited but even more, I already have it and don’t have to wait for it. There is one question though. I live in Hawaii where houses are much more than most houses on the market that I’m used to seeing in the success stories so I’m a little hesitant. Will it work for me in a market such as Hawaii where the average 3 bedroom house sell for $350K-$400K on the low end? Please help…

Re: Will it work for me? - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on March 22, 2000 at 08:45:55:

Hi Mari,

I just wanted to give you a few suggestions for beginning your investing career. Though I do not wish to get involved in the heated discussion posted below, HR is correct in his own way. His point is both candid and harsh. Although I do not know HR, I imagine that his post was intended to confront your indecision. This aggressive approach was no doubt meant to motivate you but it may have been a bit strong for a New investor to contend with.

I meet a lot of new investors who have a great interest in Real Estate Investing (REI) but lack the confidence to jump in. Carlton Sheets no doubt sells more courses that end up as book ends than he does success stories. Terry Vaughan once told me that traditionally only 5% will actually take action after buying a course or attending a seminar. I hope that you do become one of those 5%.

Each market differs. Not only state to state, but even neighborhood to neighborhood. The techniques described in CS course are valid techniques. You can learn further to specialize in certain techniques or areas as well. Either way, you will need to know your market. In order to do this, I suggest you network as much as you can. Check local REI groups (or “RIA’s” as they may be called). These groups may be a good way to locate a mentor. Now don’t just jump on the first bandwagon you find. Talk with many many investors, agents, attorneys, seller’s etc…Talk with everyone and anyone. This will not only increase your knowledge but better your people skills. You will find mentors that you respect and feel comfortable working with. This does not mean you should post a billboard asking for mentors. Mentors can be as simple as a loan officer who show’s you how to compute payments, yield or whatever. A mentor may be another investor or agent. Each person will have areas of expertise. In order for you to be successful, I suggest you learn as much about each of their areas of expertise. You will gain a good education and in the process will be networking with people who you can go to with questions and deals.

The point of this post and the others is that it takes ACTION on your part. The 2 years that course sat on the shelf indicates a desire without action taken. Do something each day toward this career. Like the old saying “how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.” Take action and apply what you learn. Remember this is a people business so get busy meeting people.

Best Wishes for Your Success,

Tony-VA

No! - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on March 20, 2000 at 07:34:21:

Mari,

Not to be cruel, but it will never work for you, because you have done nothing with it.

Fact: it ain’t nearly as easy as CS suggests. Possible? Absolutely. Guaranteed? It depends on how bad you want it, how hard and smart you work, etc. You are a dabbler, and dabblers fail. They can’t take the heat of the real work.

Example, to make it work, one has to follow CS advice and learn to crunch the numbers. You want us to crunch the numbers for you in Hawaii. Come on. How the heck am I going to be able to do that from Louisiana?

Can these concepts work, even in Hawaii? Absolutely. Will they work for you? I seriously doubt it.

HR