Will my lease options hit the wall? HELP! - Posted by MD

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on December 08, 1999 at 12:10:02:

You are partially correct; lenders will generally only recognize for downpayment purposes the amount of rent over and above the average area rent for similar properties.

However, this does not mean they will not do the deal. You can just apply the agreed-upon rent credit to the purchase price rather than the downpayment, just as with any option consideration you receive.

If your T/Ber does a refi when they exercise, downpayment won’t be a consideration. There are plenty of mortgage brokers out there who will do these with a good payment history for 6-12 months.

Brian (NY)

Will my lease options hit the wall? HELP! - Posted by MD

Posted by MD on December 08, 1999 at 11:16:02:

I am being told that this is what can happen with lease/options. Would somebody tell otherwise. This is a quote from someone else? “The main problem with L/O strategies is with ones that tell you to give large portions of the monthly payment to the buyer as credit against the principle. When it comes time to refinance, lenders will not honor that deal and kill the possibility of the loan happening. Only amounts
above the average rent for the area should be given as principle reduction.” I’m just starting L/O’s, am I going to run into this?

• MD