Will this work for me? - Posted by Mike Carroll

Posted by elena on February 06, 2000 at 07:58:27:

Hi Mike - just thought I’d let you know that I had pretty much the same question - "will it work for me - and I’m 44, mother of 2, former practicing lawyer but have no money to really put into this. After reading this site for a couple of months I’ve finally concluded that what it really takes to be a successful re investor is guts. Good luck to you - and, by the way, one of the success stories on this site is by a college student who made about $12K on a flip.

Will this work for me? - Posted by Mike Carroll

Posted by Mike Carroll on January 30, 2000 at 14:23:55:

Hello anyone reading this,
I am a 21 year old college student who has just bought the CS program. I was wondering if this will really work for me… I live in Athens, GA about an hour or so east of Atlanta. I really have absolutely no experience in Real Estate and my credit is currently sub-par. Will this work? Any response or e-mail will be greatly appreciated (especially if your in Georgia or the Atl area).
Thanks

Sorry, It Won’t Work For You… - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on February 01, 2000 at 09:01:38:

Mike,

I?m sorry to have to tell you that it won?t work for you and there are basically seven reasons why. The seven reasons are your:

Occupation

First of all, 21 is the wrong age to do creative real estate investing. No one at that age has ever been successful at this. Sorry, you?re just too young. Secondly, you mentioned that you are a college student which leads me to believe that you do not yet have your degree and everyone knows that you need a college degree to be successful. Thirdly, since you are still a college student, you don?t even have an occupation yet and everyone knows that you need a good job in order to do creative real estate investing. As for location, you are definitely in the wrong area. No one ever does creative deals in that part of the country. And with ?sub-par? credit it will be impossible to do deals. As for gender and national origin?

Mike, by now I hope you realize that I am being completely facetious!! NONE of these factors will keep this from working for you. NONE of these factors will prevent you from achieving success at this (or at anything else for that matter).

Will any of these factors have an impact? Yes. Are any of the factors immutable? Yes. Can you capitalize upon and/or improve upon any of these factors? Yes. For example, your credit. One of the attractive aspects of ?creative? real estate investing is the fact that it can be done without regard to your credit. Will it be easier if you have good credit? Yes. Can you change your credit? Yes. Mike, start taking steps immediately to clean up your credit. Another example is your age. Can you change the fact that you are 21 years old? No. It is one of those immutable factors. Can you capitalize upon your age? Yes. Stress the advantages of your age ? young, energetic, ambitious.

The main point is that if you decide you want it, develop a plan to achieve it, and take the appropriate action steps to implement your plan; YOU WILL SUCCEED!!

Ready for some advice? In addition to the Carleton Sheets program, read everything on this site including the Success Stories, the How To Articles, the Money-Making Ideas, the Legal Corner, the Cash Flow Forum, and News Group I. All of that is absolutely free. Decide on a specialized niche within the broad area of real estate investing and buy a course that covers that topic. This web site has a great selection of materials available at very reasonable prices.

To reiterate the most important advise: decide what you want, develop a game plan, take action. IT DOES WORK AND IT WILL WORK FOR YOU IF YOU MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Mike, hope this helps.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Re: Sorry, It Won’t Work For You… - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on February 01, 2000 at 16:39:31:

Thanks Jim… you had me going there for a while. I appreciate the encouragement.