Window next to bathtub? - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by JPiper on January 25, 2001 at 14:29:14:

I’ve handled this a couple of different ways. One way is to remove and close off the window. One key here is whether you can match the exterior siding. If you can and you’re painting the exterior then this can work well. You could then install a shower/tub combination, or perhaps a tub surround. Install a fan on the ceiling.

Another way is that Home Depot locally has plastic tub surround kits which can be cut out to go around a window. You may be able to line the window with some of the excess material.

Method #1 is more expensive obviously…so it depends on the value of the house and what you’re doing with it.

JPiper

Window next to bathtub? - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by LeonNC on January 25, 2001 at 13:56:40:

I’ve got a house with a standard size window (maybe 2’x4’)right next to the bathtub. I’d like to install a shower and have some ideas but thought I’d ask. Is there a preferred way to install the shower walls with a window in the way?

LeonNC

Thanks guys. All great answers! (nt) - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by LeonNC on January 26, 2001 at 24:38:23:

nt

Clawfoot tub!!! - Posted by mike

Posted by mike on January 25, 2001 at 23:50:20:

I am doing a rehab right now with the same [problem] well my solution is to do a wrap around shower curtain [ring]. it covers the window while showering and can open on the other side too to let light in when when not in use.

I’ve done 3 different things… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on January 25, 2001 at 19:51:14:

once I installed a new vinyl framed window so that the sash and sill wouldn’t rot out again.

another time I took the window out and replaced with solid wall and exhaust fan.

and thirdly I moved the bathtub to another wall in the bathroom.

Re: a wise man once said … - Posted by NJDave

Posted by NJDave on January 25, 2001 at 16:33:06:

people in glass houses … shouldn’t.

Try Glass Block - Posted by Rolfe Kurtyka

Posted by Rolfe Kurtyka on January 25, 2001 at 15:13:16:

Leon;

A window in the shower is a bummer, and one way or another it will cost some money. If nothing is done, the window inevitably becomes saturated with shower water, and the whole wall begins to rot. Been there, done that.
For a rheb here in Minneapolis MN, the land where nothing is allowed, building code strictly prohibits that window, unless it is tempered glass or glass block. For me, the choices are removing the window and patching the opening, or using glass block. Tempered is not a good choice. It’s expensive, and there’d need to be a sill, and that will lead to water damage. Removing the window and patching the opening can be challenging and labor instense, especially if you need to match the siding. Typically, I find the cheapest solution is to pull out the old window and replace it with a glass block window. The glass block is sized to match the existing opening as closely as possible, and installed flush with the inside wall surface, reducing the likelyhood of dreaded shower water seepage. If the glass block does not exactly fit the existing opening, the opening must be reduced and finished in a manner which will not allow shower water the opportunity to penetrate and wreck anything. The only exterior work to do with glass block is the install of some trim pieces placed around the window, eliminating the need for siding. I purchase the windows from a glass block contractor. My carpenters give them the rough opening, and they build the window, which typically costs about $200. Additional costs are some trim materials, plus an two or three hours labor, so you’re looking at about $200 - $300.

Good luck; Rolfe