window screens - Posted by Ben Wolf

Posted by Ricked_Ga. on April 24, 2006 at 18:47:46:

Mobile Homes are where screens go to die, never thought of it that way but its true.
Tennants want them but will have them ripped out in a month,
Got where when I ride by and see one out I go ahead and pick it up before it gets destroyed, so Ill have it for my next tennant /buyer, Did that just last week where tennant had took it out laid on ground, so i stoped and loaded it up, They came buy when they paid and said they need a screen, YEP THEY NEED ONE, BUT WANT GET THIS ONE BACK UNTILL AFTER THEY DEFAULT AND MOVE, ill try the screen again with my next tennant/buyer

Ricky Roland

window screens - Posted by Ben Wolf

Posted by Ben Wolf on April 24, 2006 at 14:45:01:

Aluminum window screens (1976 golden West) destroyed
by previous owner. Any ideas on who might stock these?

Re: window screens - Posted by trailermonkey

Posted by trailermonkey on April 24, 2006 at 21:27:59:

Your best bet is to find a contractor to fabricate these screens for you. The parts are readily available at any building supply company. Heck…You can even do it yourself. I do it, and I cant even change the oil in my truck!

How to build your own screens - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on April 24, 2006 at 14:58:28:

We build our own on site. Very easy to do and when done it bulk run about $8 per window.

Go to your local home depot or lowes and look in the window and door section. You can buy the metal frames, screen, corners, spline and tool.

Take about 15 minutes per window.

Use a hacksaw or light sawsall to cut the frame pieces about 1/2 through then bend and snap it the rest of the way.

The plastic corner pieces add 3/4" to the frame so be sure to measure your window opening then subtract 3/4". Before rolling the screen material in, place the screen in the window to make certain it fits snug. You can also buy the springs but I find that if I build them right, the springs are not necessary.

Tony

Re: How to build your own screens - Posted by JeffB (MI)

Posted by JeffB (MI) on April 24, 2006 at 16:52:38:

Appropriate timing as always, Tony! I just got back from the mobile home supply house which was, in part, to purchase screens for two houses. Of course they do not stock screens ,they are all special order. I think I’ll try your way. And maybe in a few years I can pass the trade along to my son… gotta make 'em earn their keep right?

I’m wondering if … - Posted by Dr. B (OH)

Posted by Dr. B (OH) on April 24, 2006 at 16:20:22:

you use a chop saw (mitre saw) with a panel blade in backwards that might make it go even faster. Depends on haw many screens you’ve got to do.

Happy Trail(er)s,
Steve

Re: How to build your own screens - Posted by Lin (NC)

Posted by Lin (NC) on April 24, 2006 at 15:57:05:

This is one of the best things I’ve learned to do. (Thanks Tony!) In fact, my boys (6,7,13) and I just made 6 of them for my rental yesterday. Easy to do, kinda fun, and saves you a pile of $$.

Try it!

Lin

Re: How to build your own screens - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on April 24, 2006 at 17:00:41:

I simply found that a fact of life is that mobile homes are where screens go to die.

I don’t know what mobile home dwellers have against them but this is a common replacement for me. With a variety of ages and sizes of homes, I found it too difficult to buy the right size and the travel time and gas was not worth it.

A tenant actually taught me this technique by describing it to me in less detail than this post so I assure you it is easy to pick up.

No more having to fight to find the right size. You can make any size and shape you need to right on site and for less money.

Re: I’m wondering if … - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on April 24, 2006 at 16:28:47:

Overkill really.

The hacksaw only takes a few cycles back and forth to get it (the frame) to the snapping point. I use a cordless sawsall to speed things up and make it a bit easier when doing a number of windows.

I keep all this stuff on my work truck and can quickly back up and knock these out without needing to haul my chopsaw out etc.

Really, these are just as simple as Lin said. You can teach kids to knock these out in no time.

Tony