wobbly box...secure? - Posted by Roxann CA

Posted by Roxann CA on October 18, 2003 at 22:23:24:

Thanks for the replies. I can probably do the welding on a tongue. I will sleep more soundly after the purchase, setup, and lockdown of my first MH and no one will ever mistake it for a $20 bill on the sidewalk :smiley: I learn so much from you wise people!

Thanks again! Roxann (central CA)

wobbly box…secure? - Posted by Roxann CA

Posted by Roxann CA on October 17, 2003 at 21:00:26:

Newbie Question: I am unfamiliar with the undercarriage and set up of a MH. How is the MH kept secure from theft?, or is it? I know a woman who lost one of her MHs - the occupant to be evicted just took it with him.

Poof! it was gone!

A sad story; she and the sheriff just stood on this vacant lot scratching their heads. How does someone protect their wobbly box from wandering?

Thanks, Roxann

Grand theft - auto? - Posted by jz

Posted by jz on October 18, 2003 at 07:03:17:

Since states require MHs be registered with their motor vehicle agency, does stealing a MH come under “grand theft- auto” laws??

Here is how to make them more secure. - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on October 17, 2003 at 23:24:51:

You’re right Roxann They aren’t very secure, especially in California where even stick built houses disapear occasionally.

Noone wants to be driving down the road and see their home pass them going in the opposite direction.

There are a few things you can do to decrease your odds of someone mistaking your California mobile home for a $20 bill on the ground and running off with it.

Remove the wheels and axels and tongue and store them at another location. If the tongue is welded on instead of being the newer bolt on type just have a welder cut it off with an aceytlene torch. If you store them under the mobile home, like most people do, a thief can easly find them and put them back on and tow away your home. If you want to further increase your anti-thept protection you could have the welder also cut off the axel hangar brackets. That would really stop any but the most ardent thiefs because they would then have nowhere to bolt the axels to, that they can’t find anyway, because you have stored them who knows where.

If you still have Californiaitis, buy plenty of anti-thept insurance, but just be sure noone steals your copy of the ins. policy.

Hope you sleep well tonight.

Regards, doc

Here is how to make them more secure. - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on October 17, 2003 at 23:22:12:

You’re right Roxann They aren’t very secure, especially in California where even stick built houses disapear occasionally.

Noone wants to be driving down the road and see their home pass them going in the opposite direction.

There are a few things you can do to decrease your odds of someone mistaking your California mobile home for a $20 bill on the ground and running off with it.

Remove the wheels and axels and tongue and store them at another location. If the tongue is welded on instead of being the newer bolt on type just have a welder cut it off with an aceytlene torch. If you store them under the mobile home, like most people do, a thief can easly find them and put them back on and tow away your home. If you want to further increase your anti-thept program you could have the welder also cut off the axel hangar brackets. That would really stop any but the most ardent thiefs because they would then have nowhere to bolt the axels to, that they can’t find anyway because you have stored them elsewhere.

If you still have California-ittis, buy plenty of anti-thept insurance, butjust be sure noone steals your copy of the ins. policy.

Hope you sleep well tonight.

Regards, doc

If you use a welder who has never worked… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on October 18, 2003 at 10:47:39:

…on mobile homes before, be sure to tell him to leave about 6-8 inches of tongue still on the mobile home, on each side, when he cuts it off. This will be necessary to weld reinforcement plates to, if the hitch is ever to be put back on (easily).

Regards, doc