Wood Siding - Mold and Rotting - Posted by rachel

Posted by rachel on April 01, 2007 at 20:30:59:

Thanks, John. Yes, it’s going to need a lot of work on the outside w/
replacing the boards. Also, doesen’t look like there are any gutters to
re-direct the water from the roof so it does not flow on the side. You’re
right about there being easier deals out there to do.

Thanks for your help!

-Rachel

Wood Siding - Mold and Rotting - Posted by rachel

Posted by rachel on March 31, 2007 at 19:52:14:

There’s a home I’m looking at that needs wood siding replaced all the way
around. It’s rotting and there’s mold. It’s also cracking. There’s moisture on the
wood siding all around the home.

This home needs to be moved. I’m thinking it’s just too much work and very
risky to move. The plumbing and electricity was off, could not check it.

Anyone ever dealt with a home that needed to be moved and had molded/rotted
wood siding?

Thanks for your help!

-Rachel

I’m about to tackle this - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on April 06, 2007 at 15:52:33:

I’m about to repo a really nice wood sided SW; problem is, the bottom trim and about 6" of the siding, nearly all the way around, is water damaged. The rest of the siding is OK, so my plan is to cut about a foot or two up with a skilsaw, as Ryan suggested, and put new stuff in with a Z-strip (flashing) between, and a trim board, all the way around. Roller paint, and its GTG. Total cost should be well under $500 for materials, and worst case is a $400 labor cost including repainting.

At least thats the plan. This is easily a 12-15K house, mid 80s, 3/2. And that price is only restricted by the location; other parks this would bring another 3-5K (on a note, of course) . . . but that would probably not pay for a move, so it stays and sells for the lower price.

Re: Wood Siding - Mold and Rotting - Posted by Ryan (NC)

Posted by Ryan (NC) on April 01, 2007 at 09:57:14:

There as basically two ways to fix the masonite siding, cut it off with a skill saw up to about 32" (if it is worse than this I won’t mess with it) from the bottom, flash it in, and install new paneling. cover the cut area with trim boards sealed with silicone and paint the whole unit. (more detailed explanation can be found in the archives)

The second I found sitting on Greg Mead’s lot which is the same concept but the panels are overlayed and routed trim boards installed sealed and painted.

One point is that regardless of how you go about fixing it, any mold issues must be cleaned out, killed with bleach, and reinsulated.

So long as the framing boards are ok (or fixed) the home should be ok to move however does it make financial since? If in doubt have a good mover check it out! I don’t know your experience level but moving a home is not the place to start, Brenda wrote a pretty good post from a newbies point of view on moving homes a couple days ago…

you can find it here:
http://www.creonline.com/mobilehomes/wwwboard4/messages/72822.html

Best wishes,
Ryan Needler

Re: Wood Siding - Mold and Rotting - Posted by jb (IN)

Posted by jb (IN) on March 31, 2007 at 21:27:58:

In my opinion, I’d leave it alone. I had a MH in FL that had about 1/3 of all of the wood siding that needed replaced. I missed seeing the bad stuff due to stuff growing on the outside. I found a lot of the bad stuff when I blew holes in it with a power washer…None of the bad black mold but bad siding all over. I ripped all the bad stuff off, replaced with T2-11 (I think), some plywood siding I got at Lowe’s that matched the rotted stuff as far as texture, etc. I ended up spending way too much time repairing a home that should have been taken to the dump. It was one of my first homes and I didn’t know any better…it was a lot of work and although I didn’t make much on the deal overall it was a valuable learning experience. It would take a truly exceptional MH and deal for me to want to get into wood siding again, at least that kind anyway.

I think on the right home I would get the bad stuff off, put some kind of sheathing on over the studs and go with vinyl but it would have to be worth my while. Once you throw in mold and moving I don’t think I give it a second thought. There are lots of easier deals to be had out there.

Again, just my opinion,

John

Re: Wood Siding - Mold and Rotting - Posted by rachel

Posted by rachel on April 01, 2007 at 20:29:23:

Thanks, Ryan. Your advice helps. Appreciate it!

-Rachel