Would It be GREEDY... UNETHICAL??? - Posted by Amy (In Dallas)

Problemed finances as well as houses - Posted by Hank FL

Posted by Hank FL on September 27, 2003 at 21:30:06:

In my area (Tampabay), the people in FC often have houses that are not so nice to look at. It’s not a normal sale by a long shot. Even in a hot market, these houses don’t sell well.

I used to keep track of the lis pens quite well, and I’d see the same sad story over and over. These folks would list and then be dissed.

One lady had a house I could have helped her with, but it was kinda skinny, so I asked her to ask her agent if she could get out of the agreement. Since she had called me from a postcard, tortuous interference was not a concern.

The broker wouldn’t let her out even though they had it for 9 months. A couple of months later, the auction block made it’s appearance. I think the listing was one of those one year shaftings.

Sad.

From my limited perspective, one year pre-FC listings blow.

Re: NO TIM - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on September 27, 2003 at 17:03:57:

It is not redundant. Most companies that have been in business as long an mine has are being operated by second and third generations, not by the founder.

Amy’s original question came across like a child asking, If I do not get caught is it all right to steal?

Obvious (at least to me) the answer is NO.

Points I do not need, and yes I did read her post. If you are so devoid of knowledge to think that her post lacked a malicious intent, then you my friend are as ignorant as she is.

Do you have a point to make?

Re: I will not except - Posted by Tom PA

Posted by Tom PA on September 27, 2003 at 16:44:40:

Tim,

If you haven’t already noticed, this is the form of a lot of Ed’s messages. Very abrasive and condescending. I decided a while back that I gain very little from Ed so I very seldom even read his post.

The way that I read the original message was that the poster was trying to find way to deal directly with the seller and still pay the commission.

Let’s face it. Just because someone is a Real Estate Agent or Broker doesn’t mean that they know how to negotiate or that they will present the offer as it is intended to be presented. Heck, they may not even understand what is being offered.

In case you are wondering, no I am not anti-Realtor. I grew up in a house of RE Brokers and married into another family full of them.

Anyway, Tim. I guess that this rambling was just to say that I agree with you.

Re: It seems that - Posted by Ed Copp

Posted by Ed Copp on September 29, 2003 at 19:28:10:

we at least partly agree.

The use of the word hostage is one area that we do not agree on. The contract is freely entered into.

General policy, and suggested are about the same thing. It is not a contract until we sign it. Generally I suggest one year, sometimes the seller suggests one day. We will not agree on either, but a negotation will have begun. My solution average on foreclosure listings is under 25 days, so we do have some room to negotiate.

To insist that the deal comes through me, does work for me. I have the listing contract, and it is my job to protect the seller. Most investors have no interest in protecting the seller. Now as I have stated there is no requirement for the buyer to negotiate with me, he can deal directly with the seller. In this case if buyer and seller agree, my commission will have been earned. So from the sellers point of view , you might as well pick my brain since you are paying the fee.

As far as ethics go, there are many who would say that it is unethical for me to buy a property rather than list it, because I supposedly have some kind of unfair advantage. It is difficult to say where the line is.

By being the listing broker I make no decisions for the seller, I do make suggestions and offer guideance. The situations that I develop need to be win/win/win buyer, seller, and broker. If anybody gets left out I am the bad guy automatically.

Re: Your brilliance - Posted by Ed Copp

Posted by Ed Copp on September 29, 2003 at 18:29:31:

is only surpassed by your obvious ignorance.

Thank you TONY, for your contribution to the ever growing pile of crap. It is just this very thing that I am happy to protect my sellers form, the very ignorant.

Re: Rather than whine - Posted by Ed Copp

Posted by Ed Copp on September 28, 2003 at 09:11:13:

It might behoove you to learn how to make a written offer, TO THE AGENT. By law the agent must present your offer to the seller. That is when the negotiation about the commission, or lack of commission takes place, and you are not involved. The offer will get accepted, rejected or countered, one of the three.

You however chose not to make an offer at all, and then whine about the business tactics of the broker, which incidentally do not concern you at all. Just put your money where your mouth is, and stop your whining. How much money did you offer, anyway?

Re: Yuo really could benefit - Posted by Ed Copp

Posted by Ed Copp on September 27, 2003 at 17:13:58:

from learning to read (Amy’s post). Obviously you can not.

I could care less if you read mine. The price is right.

Re: Your brilliance - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on September 29, 2003 at 20:10:50:

Sometimes when I?m posting at three in the morning, I invent a forum for sellers who have been screwed over by creative real estate investors. In a short time I?m sure that the number of posts would dwarf the number of posts on the other boards combined.