WOW.... Have you ever heard of this before-2 lots - Posted by Paul

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on February 09, 2001 at 17:33:01:

If you bought title insurance then the title insurance company will have to do what they have insured you against. That would come into the picture and settle the claim.

If you did not buy title insurance, you should have.

Depending on what state you are in you may be able to claim title to the strip by adverse possession. Don’t count on this being “cut and dried”. You will most likely need to go to court.

The strips of land that you mention are fairly common. Usually access to other properties as is your case, or often alley easments where the alley was never used.

WOW… Have you ever heard of this before-2 lots - Posted by Paul

Posted by Paul on February 09, 2001 at 12:07:20:

I have just found buyers for my house. It is on two lots side by side. The new buyers that want to buy my house told me that there is a 13ft strip through the middle of the two lots that my neighbor behind me owns.

When I bought the home 7 years ago, I was told that all the property was included (there is a fence around the two lots together, so it looks like one large lot. There was NO MENTION of a strip belonging to my neighbor. And it was never disclosed by the seller or title company. The appraiser office told me that it was probably for a driveway many, many years ago and that indeed my neighbor owns it. He (my neighbor) does not even know he owns it yet! Yet he pays the taxes on it when he pays the taxes on his house (it is the same parcel ID number)

I have been taking care of all the land and the fence has been there for many years (10-20 at least). What should I do? Contact a lawyer, contact the Title company? Track down the realtor that sold it to me (it was an owner/agent)?

I thought that I would post this message here to warn everyone to be very careful when dealing with double lot purchases. Get a map of the lots. The two lots I own are consecutive numbered and the strip has a different number - not in order.

Please let me know if you have ANY advice for me. Thank you all.