YELLOW PAGES ADVERTISING? - Posted by Mark

Posted by Glenn on December 22, 1999 at 20:06:40:

I used some for an old computer company I owned. I did it in a special business to business directory. It was a waste of money, because it turned out that it was not the main directory people used - there are often many companies selling phone book ads - so make sure you are using the one most people use. It also tends to be fairly expensive a form of advertising. It would depend upon what aspect of REI you are doing as to whether it would be useful (is it something that people usually use the YPs for?) or whether it would be a complete waste of money (the salesperson should be able to show actual usage of your category - not total circulation of the book - for it to be deemed effective).
Glenn

YELLOW PAGES ADVERTISING? - Posted by Mark

Posted by Mark on December 22, 1999 at 17:54:32:

Has anyone used Yellow Pages ads in their marketing mix?
I’m looking for both sides of the story on this one. Thanks for all suggestions and comments.

Re: YELLOW SCHMELLOW PAGES? - Posted by domineaux

Posted by domineaux on December 23, 1999 at 09:08:37:

Been there done that. Yellow pages is a fixed expense kinda like buying a car. They bill you every month and you sign a one year contract. The cost is up there as well. You may get something one month and nothing the next. Maybe you average out!

I like advertising to be on a variable basis. I like to be able to directly tie advertising expense to a particular entity.

One suggestion I would make is get the question clear in your mind about what you would expect in a Yellow page ad, the call the guy whose ad impresses you. If you are in anther state or city he’ll probably talk with you fareely. One other thought. Go through some previous years YP and see if the same company is repeating.

Re: YELLOW PAGES ADVERTISING? - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on December 22, 1999 at 20:51:09:

Haven’t personally, but I was travelling through, I think it was Toledo, OH a few months back, and in the motel I happened to glance through the yellow pages (guess I was really bored). There was a very impressive ad from an “I Buy Houses” investor in the real estate catagory. It was 1/4 page, and immediately grabbed my attention. If I were a homeowner thinking about selling my house, and I happened to browse through the yellow pages and came across this ad, it definitely would have gotten noticed. In fact, I was so impressed I stole the page from the phone book, intending to call the number when I got back home to inquire whether the ad was worth the cost. I never called, but since you reminded me, I’ll have to dig it out and followup.

Brian (NY)