Yield and the BA-35: A Sad Story... - Posted by MichaelR (NoVA)

Posted by MichaelR (NoVA) on October 17, 1998 at 20:57:30:

I was missing the imputed step. Thank you very much for your help.

Michael

Yield and the BA-35: A Sad Story… - Posted by MichaelR (NoVA)

Posted by MichaelR (NoVA) on October 17, 1998 at 17:24:46:

Hey all…

I bought a TI BA-35 the other night with the hopes of calculating possible yield situations with 4 mobile home notes I am trying to deal. I seem to be having trouble getting it to compute correctly, and I’m not sure where to go for help…so here goes:

I’ll use a Lonnie example:

N: 24
I: 12.75
PV: 5250

To solve for the payment, I enter in the three values into their appropriate registers, hit “2nd” “BGN” “CPT” then “PMT.” Instead of getting 248.98, as it should be according to DOW, I get 628.99. Huh?

And for a yield problem:

N: 24
PMT: 248.98
PV: 4750

To solve for yield, I enter the values then hit “2nd” “BGN” “CPT” then “%i.” Instead of 23.09% as in DOW, I get 2.11%. I repeat, huh?

What I just outlined is exactly how the keystrokes are written in my manual. It works in their sample problems, but not in the ones I try to do from DOW and the paper deal I am trying to get my feet wet with.

Any help is great appreciated! I can hear all the machines in the world laughing as a simple little calculator stumps the ex-computer geek. :slight_smile:

Michael

Re: Yield and the BA-35: RTFM… - Posted by Mr Donald (NORVA)

Posted by Mr Donald (NORVA) on October 17, 1998 at 19:44:43:

Michael,

I’m just thrilled with my BA-35 Solar, which I picked up for a relative song at Staples for around $25. No batteries, no hassles, and it works in low light conditions too. Excellent for on the spot negotiations and all-around quick and dirty calculations - if you RTFM!

First off, try clearing the memory registers before you enter your data for your computations. How? Press AC/ON, then CE/C, then 2nd then CE/C (which is the CMR - Clear Memory Register button).

Now enter your data.
N: 24, I: 12.75 and PV: 5250 is your first example, to solve for monthly payments.

N is entered as 24.

I - assuming it is paid and compounded monthly is entered as:
I - 12.75, then 2nd, then %I. You’ll see the monthly interest value imputed by the BA-35 as 1.0675. Then press %I again to ensure this value is stored.

PV is entered as 5250.

Make sure FV is 0 - or else you calculations will be askew. Enter 0 for FV.

Then verify all your entries by pressing RCL and then the appropriate key.
RCL, N should read 24
RCL, I should read 1.0675
RCL, PV should read 5250
and RCL, FV should read 0.

Then press CPT, PMT. Your answer for the monthly payment should read 248.98 or so. It works for me.

Now for your other problem:

N: 24, PMT: 248.98, PV: 4750 try the following to
solve for the annual yield.

You already should have N entered as 24. You should already have PMT entered as 248.98 or so, since you just calculated it. Enter PV as 4750. Enter FV as 0.

Then calculate the yield by pressing CPT, %I.
This should give you an imputed monthly interest value of 1.9239% or so. Multiply this by 12.
You should have the desired annual yield of 23.08%.

Hope this helps. (P.S I hope you bought the BA-35 Solar version - believe me, it’s worth it. :slight_smile:

Mr Donald.
dlm@bellatlantic.net

Re: Yield and the BA-35: A Sad Story… - Posted by Crash

Posted by Crash on October 17, 1998 at 18:23:42:

I’m not sure about how to work your calculator but my figures show that you have a 23 1/16% yield. Microsoft Money has some features that allow you to make these calculations, as well as track payments made to you, and make adjustments when extra, or late, payments are made.

May not be much help, but just a little FYI.