You gotta Love it... These vigilante groups.. - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on January 28, 2002 at 02:38:34:

in Big D are about 3k/month… We’ll actually be doing some in the near future… but, if your a true business person you don’t just have one line in the water and rely solely on it… markets change… and different forms of marketing work at different times.

Sounds like you know way too much about your local laws regarding signage… Also, Sounds like your chief of police has way too much time on his hands too… You must live in Mayberry.

Bottom line, For the bang on my buck… Signs are the best… they require very little of my time and very few dollars to execute, compared to the results… Probably next in line would be networking and teaching others to find deals… and then ads… at least for me… Billboards… the juries still out… but, I’ll know soon, possibly that with TV ads to be next in line.

David Alexander

P.S. Back to my original post about the subject… sounds like you guys may be on the other end of a fine if you keep on ripping up signs… We might just have someone watching you… even in Mayberry.

You gotta Love it… These vigilante groups… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on January 27, 2002 at 16:27:30:

that take down signs can suffer from their own medicine… and holier than though stances…

I think I’ll start having someone stake out my signs and prosecute… Lol… :slight_smile:

Here’s the link…

http://www.causs.org/htdocs/dcforum/DCForumID60/337.html#

David Alexander

Question about Bandit Signs - Posted by Talia (NY)

Posted by Talia (NY) on January 28, 2002 at 15:04:38:

Are bandit signs outlawed in all local communities nationwide? Or just a majority of them? I was wondering before ordering any. I see very few bandit signs in my community back home as opposed to here in DC. The few signs I saw back home were those “work from home” ones…

I live in a relatively conservative county so I would not be surprised if there were codes on the books outlawing these “bandit signs”…

-TAP

I Think Your Company Sponsors Them LOL! - Posted by Alan in Houston

Posted by Alan in Houston on January 28, 2002 at 12:19:52:

They help keep your other business a renewable one. Most of our signs here in Houston were lucky to make it 24 hours. My wife worked many long hours trying to get ahead of the spam busters. They are a self righteous group.

Re: You gotta Love it… These vigilante groups… - Posted by Scott (GA)

Posted by Scott (GA) on January 27, 2002 at 22:12:39:

Just don’t come to my city and try to post those signs. The police were given the enforcement responsibility last year, and they would love to catch you putting up a sign. Now, there are no, not even for a garage sale, signs up in my town.

For the record, I am against bandit signs. It is using property you did not rent, do not own, and do not have permission to use, to place your signs. I would never call any number off of a bandit sign; they all APPEAR to be fly-by-nighters.

For anyone wondering, yes, I have removed some bandit signs. In my regular business, which I started and own, a competitor decided to place bandit signs on the same property I lease. Of course the signs were down within minutes, I observed him putting them up early on a Saturday morning and waited for him to leave before getting my ladder out and taking them right down.

Re: You gotta Love it… These vigilante groups… - Posted by Mark (WV)

Posted by Mark (WV) on January 27, 2002 at 19:04:28:

Even though I don’t use bandit signs,I can’t see where these people think they have the right to commit a crime (vandalism,theft,) in protest of what they view as another crime(the nailing of a peice of paper to a pole that is not public property)it is amazing .

My parents use to call that"the pot calling the kettle black"

Talk about too much time on their hands! - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on January 27, 2002 at 19:00:13:

David,
Thanks, this is funny to read.
I especially liked the part where the poster on this other anti-sign board said:
“So then I spotted a spammer and called the cops to come out. I knew his route and told them where he was and where he’d be. The dispatcher sounded astonished that I would even call for something as trivial as that. He said he’d submit it, but didn’t think an officer would come out. Sure enough, I followed him for an hour and an officer never came.”

Hmmmmmmmm?
Sure wish I had an hour to kill doing NOTHING productive! (Actually more time than that, since this vigilante knew the sign placers route. Wonder how I got that? Stalker maybe?)

Thanks for the laugh,
Jim FL

This says it all… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on January 27, 2002 at 17:18:49:

I had never seen that site so I scrolled through some of the posts, one was criticizing the maker of a sign
because his URL apparently wasn’t valid. The critic says “well, no one ever said these guys were smart, if they were smart they’d have JOBS” !!! Pretty revealing!

Re: You gotta Love it… These vigilante groups… - Posted by Dan Stra

Posted by Dan Stra on January 27, 2002 at 17:07:00:

I wonder if these folks also pick up garbage in their do-gooder activities. I bet not.

Re: You gotta Love it… These vigilante groups… - Posted by Jesse (CO)

Posted by Jesse (CO) on January 27, 2002 at 16:54:05:

Hi David,

I’ve noticed this a lot around the neighborhoods I farm. Doesn’t seem to deter the ‘Work from Home’ folks, so I’ve followed suit by putting my signs in the more visible areas/streets of town. LOL. Just seeing CAUSS’ reaction to the signs is proof for me that it can be done where I live (besides, if all the wood on the telephone pools were to totally desintegrate, they’d be able to replace them just looking at the piles of staples, nails, etc. that have attached many a sign!).

Great posting and Good posting!

That’s not even Funny… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on January 28, 2002 at 14:04:09:

If your signs aren’t making it 24 hours change your tactics…

Also… sounds like now… you could call the police on these guys.

David Alexander

What about political bandit signs? - Posted by Tim (ME)

Posted by Tim (ME) on January 28, 2002 at 15:04:14:

Every year around election time, all the politicians start putting out bandit signs everywhere…more than ANY private business signs. I wonder if we petitioned these people to change ordinances to favor bandit sign merketing, if it would work.

“If you allow me to legally place my bandit signs, I’ll vote you into city counsel”.

Hey, they are using this EXACT marketing method to get elected to office. They should WELCOME the idea of changing the laws to allow bandit signs! But you know politicians…one set of rules for them, another set of rules for us.

Just my view.

Tim

And whereabouts are you in Georgia… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on January 27, 2002 at 22:26:19:

Hehehe…

And that’s what these Causs guys assume… they are fly by nighters… when in reality… we all ahve very legitimate businesses… I spend about a grand a month on my sign advertising… whether you guys take them down or not doesnt effect me one way or another… it’s jsut another means of me finding deals… deals that are quite lucrative and signs are very cost effective method of finding those deals…

Fact is even if the police were given the right to enforce… it’s not worth their time to ticket it and write up the report they have to write… Get Real, they have better issues to deal with.

And for the record, I wouldnt want you to call the number off one of my signs unless you were motivated to sell your house…

By the way… what type of business do you have…

David Alexander

Bandit Signs - Posted by Scott (GA)

Posted by Scott (GA) on January 28, 2002 at 01:21:59:

Shoot for 1,000/month, I could have two billboards that would actually get read.

Fact is in this town, which I will not name, the Police have ticketed. I was doing a job in their building last year, and they asked me about that competitor of mine. The Chief told me if they catch him they will haul him in and charge him. They do have the time to deal with this. (side note, I spent 5 hours and made a profit of 4,000, easy work)

Something else to consider, at least in Georgia, there are public right of ways, for the state and utility companies to use, it is still somebody’s property you are using to place signs. Also in my state, attaching anything to a utility pole is a minor offence. I have read a few articles in the local paper last year, and the public around here is getting serious about dealing with it. One article showed an intersection with over 50 signs.

Bandit signs removing inc . hehe:-) - Posted by RR

Posted by RR on January 27, 2002 at 23:45:06:

nt