Young REI hopeful who needs Guidance - Posted by Michele

Posted by Michele on February 12, 2001 at 16:07:04:

Thanks! I will look for those books right away!

Young REI hopeful who needs Guidance - Posted by Michele

Posted by Michele on February 04, 2001 at 01:35:38:

Hello everyone! I need support! I constantly see signs for flexible sellers and wish I had the guts to go after my first deal. I’m a terrible sales person- would have a rough time convincing someone of what they need, instead of what they want. I have had the C. Sheets materials for two years, and like others on this site, I’ve studied the materials, but am too afraid to start and unfortunately have noone in my life to offer motivation and support. I’ve invested in numerous Real Estate investing books, including one written by Robert Shemin- which I’ve found interesting and knowledgeable. I would hope to find someone who is in this business who would like some free help in return for education. I would also love to help investors who buy distressed property to fix up and sell. If there’s anyone out there who lives in Atlanta and has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Re: Young REI hopeful who needs Guidance - Posted by stan

Posted by stan on February 04, 2001 at 22:54:49:

im from south carolina been doing this for only a year and have had some success…like you i was scared at first but i overcame my fear by diving in and i dont regret it…email me and ill tell you some simple things to try …you can do this it gets easy after the 3rd one

Re: Young REI hopeful who needs Guidance - Posted by Charles Steed

Posted by Charles Steed on February 04, 2001 at 12:30:32:

Knowing all the investing techniques in the world won’t help unless you believe you can do this. Take a look at your post. …wish I had the guts …I’m a terrible sales person…would have a rough time convincing someone…but am too afraid to start…

If these are the things you continously tell yourself, then you first need to work on your self confidence. Next time you catch yourself feeding your subconsious negative stuff, stop yourself right there and correct it! It’s a challenge at first, and takes practise, but is essential to this biz. I suggest joing Toastmasters. It’s a group devoted to helping people develop skills in public speaking…these skills go hand-in-hand with self-confidence and self esteem. I’ve seen some remarkable transformations happen in Toastmasters. It’s inexpensive to join. Check it out.

Next, start calling FSBOs and asking questions that will determine what the seller needs…if you’ve read the books, you know what these questions are. Set a goal to make 5 of these calls a day, and do it! It will become much easier with practise. You need to start seeing yourself as a successful person before it can actually happen…Best wishes

Re: Young REI hopeful who needs Guidance - Posted by antonio townsend

Posted by antonio townsend on February 04, 2001 at 05:52:38:

Michele I have the same problem but it’s not talking to the people mine is getting investors to put money down.I live in charlotte NC I have bad credit no money and don’t own a home maybe we could put our skills together and make this work.

Thanks

Antonio

Re: Young REI hopeful who needs Guidance - Posted by Michele

Posted by Michele on February 04, 2001 at 20:51:07:

You’re absolutely right. I don’t have the confidence to do this (and here I go again being negative). I’m almost 24, and feel no one will take me seriously. Where can I find out more about Toastmasters? Sounds like a good thing. I have no problems speaking to people as I am not at all shy. I only lack business confidence. Thank you so much for your response. I will work on my self esteem and let you know what happens!

Re: Young REI hopeful who needs Guidance - Posted by Lu

Posted by Lu on February 05, 2001 at 10:20:54:

If you think no one will take you seriously, then they won’t. Be positive!!! Everytime you say something negative about yourself, stop, cancel the thought, and say something positive about yourself.

Posted by Michele on February 05, 2001 at 10:32:05:

I’m trying really hard to be positive, and thank you so much for responding! I feel so much better knowing there are people out there who don’t even know me, but already believe in me. Unfortunately, the people who know and love me don’t think I can do this.

Posted by Lu on February 05, 2001 at 13:05:35:

Michele, I have people in my life too that are like that. I try to refrain from sharing too much info with them and save it for those who are positive and believe in me. I just started (REI) and already I am hearing the negatives and what a sucker I am for falling for an infomercial. But the bottom line is I am doing this for me, no one else.

Re: Young REI hopeful who needs Guidance - Posted by Jay Bee (alias)

Posted by Jay Bee (alias) on February 05, 2001 at 11:02:12:

Michele,

Run, don’t walk to http://www.nightingale.com/

Invest in yourself!!

Good Luck.

Posted by Michele on February 06, 2001 at 08:54:14:

The funny thing is that the only person who thinks I should not do this right away is my boyfriend. My dad doesn’t have much opinion about it at all, and my friends just want me to make money and be happy. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I spend all my time with my boyfriend, so he’s pretty much the only influence on me besides myself… Maybe I’ll make my first deal without him knowing, then when I succeed I can say “Guess what I accomplished!”

Posted by Lu on February 06, 2001 at 19:18:45:

Well, I really don’t think you can (or should) keep that kind of thing from someone you spend all your time with. What do you think?

Posted by Michele on February 06, 2001 at 21:36:42:

I thought that too, at first. Then I realized - I pay my own bills, take care of myself, live on my own while he still technically resides with his mommy and daddy (although stays at my house all the time), and I’m not cheating in any way… So why not? The only reason he would be upset would be if I failed, which he would be upset about anyway.

Re: Young REI hopeful who needs Guidance - Posted by kate-

Posted by kate- on February 10, 2001 at 15:27:52:

I know this isn’t necessarily appropriate forum to be giving advice regarding relationships. And, of course, my ability to give such advice should be considered extremely suspect. However, I am still going to say 2 things regarding your situation.

1. If you really want this and the only thing that is holding you back is your boyfriend’s cynicism and unsupportive behavior, then you might think about bringing up his behavior as an issue. Regardless of what the idea that you have is, your boyfriend, while attempting to provide perspective, should be most concerned with your feelings and your happiness. If it troubles you that he is not being supportive, perhaps he will attempt to change if you bring it up in this manner.
  2. Cashflow Quadrant went into this issue in more detail than Rich Dad Poor Dad. RK made the point that you should surround yourself with like-minded people. He was referring to being in similar quadrants E/S vs B/I. That definitely applies here as it sounds as if your boyfriend is not in the B or I quadrant-- otherwise he wouldn’t be quite so pessimistic. I think it goes further, though. Unless you have learned to directly control what you think about yourself subconsciously as well as consciously, you are going to be impressionable and vulnerable to adopting other people’s views of yourself as your own. Especially if that person is loved and a lot of time is spent with that person. So it might help you to recognize the negative effect this can have on your life.

That is just my two cents.

I hope things work out for you.

I know that you will create a situation where they will.

Happy Investing!!

Katy

Re: Young REI hopeful who needs Guidance - Posted by B.WeaverTN

Posted by B.WeaverTN on February 09, 2001 at 23:41:31:

I haven’t even done my first deal yet, but I have read a couple of the books suggested by the good folks on this site and I urge you to do the same. You won’t be the same afterwards. Read:

Napoleon Hill’s Think and Grow Rich and
The 17 Principles of Personal Achievement.

I’m 30, and would give anything if I’d known about Hill at your age. I know I could have done a lot with that headstart (even though 30 isn’t old). I also read Lumly’s 5 magic paths to making a fortune in real estate. It’s really good also, but I didn’t read anything magic in it, just good sound techniques. Try the Library. Mine had Think and Grow rich on tape. Makes use of the wasted time communiting to work.

Hope you enjoy them and good luck
Brett

Posted by Michele on February 12, 2001 at 16:11:30:

Thanks for taking the time to provide advice. I have brought his behavior into perspective also. He’s usually very supportive of my decisions, but this is a lot of money and he doesn’t want to see me make a decision that I may not be able to get out of. He knows that I’m trying to learn about this business, and to learn fully means learning from mistakes. Fortunately, I plan to learn from other people’s mistakes by reading and researching, but I will make mistakes too. He doesn’t want me to do something I’ll regret. I guess I should mention that if I don’t do this, I’ll regret it.