Your Knowledge Needed - Posted by Darin Auvil

Posted by Scott (AK) on January 21, 1999 at 22:08:50:

Darin,

I got have good news and I have bad news. (Don’t you just hate that?)

If I know the cop, and the other person who posted (Joe) knows the cop…that means YOU have some stiff competition.

The good news.

Here is a little hint…first I would go with Joe’s advice. I never knew that when I was there. I always went to the Tax office in the Annex to get my info. Nice tidbit Joe.

The bad news… I learned 90% of what I know about investing from Joe Kaiser. You see, Joe took me under his wing when I lived down there. He taught me a BUNCH. Now the even worse news! I used to bug Joe OFTEN, so I may have ruined it for you, :slight_smile:

I did the smart thing though…I moved out of Tacoma. Joe is tough! :slight_smile: Actually he always told me “There is enough for everyone”

I would stay on it but don’t bug the cop. He told me when I went to talk to him, “I am sick and tired of you guys bugging me about that place” but just overlook his sterness, he will lighten up some as you talk. (Oh he likes cars so at least act interested)

Your Knowledge Needed - Posted by Darin Auvil

Posted by Darin Auvil on January 20, 1999 at 18:32:42:

I live in an older established neighborhood in Tacoma, WA and for the past 2 1/2 years, I have passed this vacant single family home on my way to work. As an Amateur, non seasoned investor, not having made my first purchase, I have now come to recognize this home as a really good, I can’t pass this up, oppurtunity to get my feet wet.
My first order of business was to ask the neighbors if they knew the owner, how I could get ahold of him/her and how long the house had been vacant. They couldn’t remember the owners name, but they said that he was a Pierce Cnty Police officer. They told me that the house had been vacant for going on 5 years. The house is a 3 bed, 2 bath rambler with a 2 car garage on a 1/4 acre lot, and it is in really good shape. (at least from the outside)
The long and short is, I want to make an offer, but what should I do next to get this ball rolling?

Re: Your Knowledge Needed - Posted by Scott(AK)

Posted by Scott(AK) on January 20, 1999 at 22:00:24:

I think I know what house you are talking about myself. I just left that area AND I do believe if it is the one, I knocked on the cops door.

The house is yellow, the one I know of. And it sits in the corner of Golden Givens Rd. Not too far off Pacific out in Parland. Is this the one.

If so let me know and I could go back through my files (memeory) and almost tell you where this guy lives. I knocked on his door and he was upset because someone had stole a car out of the garage. If you loo hard you will find a small lien for a water bill.

Let me know if we are tracking.

Scott (used to be WA) (Now AK)

I think I know the cop . . . - Posted by Joe Kaiser

Posted by Joe Kaiser on January 20, 1999 at 20:32:08:

If it’s who I think it is.

Call Chicago Title, 474-2377, ask for “customer service” and request a property profile. Give them your fax number and they’ll have it to you later that day or they can mail it to you as well. It will tell you all you need to know at this point.

Joe

Re: Your Knowledge Needed - Posted by Darin Auvil

Posted by Darin Auvil on January 21, 1999 at 11:57:38:

Scott,

Dang…Small world…

I never thought I would get this type of response. Anyway…Yes that is the house. Its been vacant for a long time. I found out last night from another neighbor that the owner lives in Puyallup WA, but he couldn’t remember the guys name.

Ill look for that lien on the water bill. Is the Pierce Count Auditors Office the best place to find out his name, current address and all the other information that I may need. Also will a local title company be willing to run a printout on the property for free, or will it cost me? If so how much (ball park) Do I need to ask them for anything specific as to not leave anything out?

So tell me…I sounds like he was not to interested in selling, because the house is still vacant. Did you work up comps on the property or make him an offer? How long ago was it that you inquired about the house? I would appreciate any information that you could maybe send me.

Im sure he is a really upset person by now…The car in the garage was stolen, the van left in the front yard was stripped of its parts…The shell was later hauled away…The hot tub in the back yard was finally stolen. The wooden fence for the backyard was torn down by some 4 wheel’n teenagers this last year or so. The awning in the back yard has been beat up…and is almost ready to fall down…and to make matters worse…Several of the window have now been broken out…

Hey, can you tell me a little about yourself and your investing…Do you still own properties in the area or did you get rid of everything. How did you get into investing and do you have any advice for a beginner just learning the ropes. If you could send me any information I would gladly pay postage…
My address is…

Darin Auvil
13614 Golden Given Rd. E.
Tacoma WA 98445-2835

Scott (used to be WA) (Now AK)