Zillow.com - accurate or inaccurate? - Posted by Robert Campbell

Posted by David B on May 11, 2006 at 07:14:40:

Useless here in N Jersey. All it gives are tax appraisal #s that are $100s of
thousands off.

Zillow.com - accurate or inaccurate? - Posted by Robert Campbell

Posted by Robert Campbell on May 08, 2006 at 11:28:09:

How is Zillow.com coming along with the accuracy of its statistics?

How are investors using this site?

Thank you.

Robert Campbell

Thumbs down for FL - Posted by Marc

Posted by Marc on May 19, 2006 at 12:59:41:

Specifically, Hillsborough Co (Tampa area). We had a house built last year, moved into it in September (8 months ago), and according to Zillow it is still an undeveloped empty lot. The satellite photo shows the lot still overgrown with brush, so the photo is at least a year and a half old.

Worthless - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on May 13, 2006 at 13:50:52:

Tested it a year or so ago when someone first mentioned it. Totally offbase. Tested again right now and showed the property at least 200k low and going down in value in a market that is increasing.

It may be accurate in some states, but obviously is worthless in others.

Love it! - Posted by michalea-FL

Posted by michalea-FL on May 11, 2006 at 16:23:06:

It didn’t work in Georgia - only showed tax values,
which don’[t mean anything.

Now in Florida (jax area) it allows me to get a satellite photo of the area. Comparisons to other homes. I don’t use the zestimator, but I love being
able to see locations of similar homes, it allows me to search for comparable sales and how close they are.
To me it’s a great addition to my toolbox.

Michaela

Re: Zillow.com - accurate or inaccurate? - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on May 09, 2006 at 16:02:11:

Absolutely worthless in my area.

Don’t know where they get the data they are using, but its worthless.

Re: Zillow.com - accurate or inaccurate? - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on May 08, 2006 at 22:39:24:

I think Zillow has a long way to go still. Their appraisals are way way off.

Florida Land Sale www.ilovefloridaland.com

Re: Zillow.com - accurate or inaccurate? - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on May 08, 2006 at 19:00:14:

It’s like any “comparable” web site. The more cookie cutter the house, the better will be zillow’s estimate. It is just fine for my house. For rural properties, unique properties, over-improved properties, distressed properties etc zillow will be a very poor estimate.

Works as a rule of thumb but it’s not an exact appraisal.

Re: Zillow.com - accurate or inaccurate? - Posted by Joe

Posted by Joe on May 08, 2006 at 14:37:17:

I don’t use their Zestimate number. But if you look in the fine print, you can find the comparable sales data that they use for their Zestimate. Comparable sales are comparable sales. I then use this data to generate my own estimate of value.

Re: Zillow.com - accurate or inaccurate? - Posted by matx

Posted by matx on May 08, 2006 at 13:11:44:

Inaccurate in Texas. Zillow.com merely shows tax values from the appraisal districts–you might as well go to the district’s site to get the same value. Sales prices are not disclosed in Texas.

Every year we go out of our way to protest the assessed tax value to lower it because it makes a big difference in a high property tax state like Texas.

Many out-of-state buyers, who don’t know this, use Zillow to assess the market value in Texas. We never use the tax value when we make an offer–the seller wouldn’t take us seriously if we did.

Re: Zillow.com - accurate or inaccurate? - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on May 08, 2006 at 12:13:56:

Your question is too broad. It’s accurate in some areas and not in others. IMO, you still have to do your own due diligence. (FL)

Try this - Posted by Innovator

Posted by Innovator on May 14, 2006 at 02:13:51:

If you like the satellite photos why don’t you check out googleearth.com. I’ve been using it for a lot of the same reasons you stated.

Re: Love it! - Posted by rick m

Posted by rick m on May 11, 2006 at 22:23:09:

It lets me do that in central FL also. Love it because it shows all the basic data on the local comps w/ the satellite image so I can see the actual houses, their proximity and the price the transferred for.

Re: Zillow.com - accurate or inaccurate? - Posted by jason

Posted by jason on May 08, 2006 at 13:14:03:

seems to be about 5% low in ohio. they are not just tax appraisal #'s as someone from TX noticed…so it must vary by locale