Zoinks! - Posted by Jim Pasquini

Posted by Jim Pasquini on January 19, 2001 at 16:06:14:

this “free” MH is going to run me about $3,000 to move and set up, plus dealing with the park’s management which from the general complaints of most investors I read can be an issue plus whatever rehab is needed to bring it up to snuff?

I know this is hard to say not having any model info etc. but it kinda sounds like I might be better off at least in the short run to “flip” this one rather than move and “Lonnie”. Guess it all really depends on what the thing is worth, huh?

Either way thanks for the help. The info is invaluable.

Zoinks! - Posted by Jim Pasquini

Posted by Jim Pasquini on January 19, 2001 at 10:00:52:

Wow, am I out of my element! I buy stick built houses and multi’s normally. Picked up a house in Riverside, CA that on three acres only to find out I’m getting a mobile home thrown in to boot. I didn’t really look at it because at first all I saw was an eyesore that I was going to have to move in order to sell a $400,000 house. Then I started thinking this fellow Lonnie sure makes a buck or two off these wobbly boxes. Maybe this is kind of like finding some rare stamps or an heirloom piece in a cubby hole the previous owners didn’t want anymore?

I’ll worry about valuing the thing once I look more into what kind of shape it is in and the dimensions/age. In the meantime I’ve got two questions:

  1. The mobile was left on the property by the owner PREVIOUS to the current owners. That would tell me they don’t have title and I’m going to have to hunt down the previous owner that lives out of state. I assume title to these critters is handled through the DMV. Is there an easy way around trying to find this guy and get him to sign off?

  2. What kind of expense can I expect in moving this mobile home to a park? I’ve got no clue what these folks might charge.

A couple of thoughts - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on January 19, 2001 at 13:45:11:

Hi Jim,
you’ll want to get the title info etc. at your local HCD office (the department of Housing and Community Development are the state agency here in CA that handles all mobile home info, title transfers, taxes, registration etc. They’re number is 1-800-952-8356).

As far as moving mobile homes here in S. CA. here basically is what your looking at. And this is single wides:
tear down… about 400 bucks to get someone who knows what they are doing. It can be involved as far as axles, and what I hate the most are car ports. They turn quickly into a whole bunch of little pieces.
Okay once it’s tore down if your moving it within the county, let’s say like 15 miles or so, your looking at like 300 bucks or so.
Of course this is providing that you can find a home (a park) that will let you move it in. Do a big book search (www.bigbook.com) and start smiling and dialing.
Okay I’m not sure about Riverside, but here in San Diego County we have the fun expense of earthquake bracing which must be done to ALL homes that are moved. It’s like 1600 bucks. Also the skirting that your teardown guy, meticulously saved for you, most likely won’t work or fit properly when you get the thing moved. So there another couple hundred bucks, and then the actual set up will run around 400 bucks or so. Of course this is providing that you pay one of these guys who do it for a living.
You will also most likely have to get an occupancy permit once it’s all done.
Now you can start the Lonnie procedure and sell it on a note.
Anyhow that’s been my experience here in San Diego.