2 Questions about bandit signs - Posted by Christopher-FL

Posted by Jim IL on January 15, 2001 at 21:38:41:

Monique,
First, thank you for the compliment.
I truly wish I could attend the convention this year.
There are plenty of people I will miss from years past, plus the experience of meeting more new friends.
Trust me, if anything changes, I will attend.

As far as your questions about bandit signs, I don’t pay that much for mine.
I make my own.
I did use some corruplast ones some time ago, but they seemed to get ripped down a lot.
Since these “Bandit signs” are illegal in most places, they get torn down by cities all the time, or the weather tears them up, I decided to go the cheap route.
I buy 8.5 x 11 card stock at WalMart, in packs of 100 pieces with 4 different bright colors.
I then just print up signs saying, “I Buy Houses xxx-xxx-xxxx” on them with my inkjet printer and water proof ink.
I place these signs on phone poles all over the area, and on stakes where there are no phone poles.
Place them at major intersections, and streets leading in and out of neighborhoods and subdivisions.
I put up a few every couple of weeks, since they disappear often.
I can put up 100 signs for less then $30, IF I get the ink cartridge on sale.
For stakes, just goto a Home improvement warehouse and buy “contractor” stakes.
You can get them in bundles of 50 for under $10.
Just take the stake and pound it into the ground, before placing the signs on them.
IF you don’t the pounding will make the signs come loose.
After the stake is in the ground, just staple gun two signs on either side of the stake.
These signs are cheap, but the work.
Make sure the signs are close to the road, and close enough to where cars stop, because they are small and hard to see from very far away.

I’d say that now, fully 90% of my deals come from my signs.

You may also consider getting some magnetic signs for your vehicle that say, “I Buy Houses xxx-xxx-xxxx”.
You can get a set of two for approx. $60 from any sign maker, and sometimes for less.
Then whereever you are driving, you are marketing as well.
I have them on my vehicles, and a few relatives cars as well.

Good luck to you, I hope this helps,
Jim IL

2 Questions about bandit signs - Posted by Christopher-FL

Posted by Christopher-FL on January 11, 2001 at 14:04:21:

Ok, I hear a lot of you say you use bandit signs (the little signs poking out of the ground at all the busy intersections) to advertise. I had always wondered if this was legal. Afterall you are using SOMEBODY’S property (even if it is municipal) to benefit you. So what are that legalities about them?

Ok, here’s somewhat of an ethical question…Lets say you want to put your bandit sign on a very popular intersection but you find 2 others already there. Do you add yours to the pack or GASP remove your “competitors” and place yours?

Just some thursday afternoon thinkin’

Christopher

Re: 2 Questions about bandit signs - Posted by Robert (ID)

Posted by Robert (ID) on January 12, 2001 at 10:11:15:

I place my bandit signs outside of the city limits. I try to target the major roads coming into town. Also wherever there is a large company like Micron, Simplots, ect.
I put a few on the off ramps, but I got a fax from the State Police saying to remove this one near the city limits. I did.
I never remove anyones signs, but then I have never seen any others. All I see is weight loss, computer jobs and $200,000 homes for nothing down. Maybe I should call them.

Robert

Re: 2 Questions about bandit signs - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on January 11, 2001 at 22:11:06:

Chris,

I happen to agree with most everyone who has posted.

I just want to add that I would try and place the signs just outside the city limits. I have found that these signs are rarely removed.

Tim

Re: 2 Questions about bandit signs - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on January 11, 2001 at 21:15:06:

Christopher,
Signs such as these are illegal in 95% of the areas in which we place them.
This is the reason they are called “Bandit signs”.
I place mine up in many different areas.
Some places enforce the codes strictly, and have warned me, written me letters, and stopped just short of fining me.
So, I only place signs there temporarily on weekends, when the inspectors are off work.
In other areas, they are illegal, and the city just removes them when they find them.
I still place mine up here, and know that I need to replace them every few weeks.
This is why I make my own, and make them cheap.
They are temporary signs at best.
I have never removed someone elses sign to place mine up, or to make room.
I have found a few signs stapled over the top of mine, and then just call the number on it and ask them to stop.
And, if an area has SEVERAL signs up, I usually pass on that location anyway.
My sign will just get lost in the bunch anyway.
I also use a few different phone numbers on the signs, and all are voice mail drops.
This way it is harder for the cities to track you.
I change my numbers in certain areas when I get messages from the city.
This way they think it is multiple offenders placing like signs up.
I know it sounds sneaky, or slightly unethical, but the calls from the signs make it all worth while.
And if a city is really adamant about my signs being removed or not placed there, I will concede and refrain from placing them in there jurisdiction.

Just be careful, do not disrespect private property, and get the signs up now!
They work and work well.

Take care,
Jim IL

Re: 2 Questions about bandit signs - Posted by dewCO

Posted by dewCO on January 11, 2001 at 20:21:19:

You need to check with your local zoning inspectors to find out if they are legal or not.

Re: 2 Questions about bandit signs - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on January 11, 2001 at 18:11:29:

By the nature of bandit signs being placed in spots where they are not authorized or not permitted, it is usual that they do not last very long before someone removes them.

Thus the name Bandit Signs (they are not supposed to be where they are placed).

The concept works and works well if done properly. The idea of removing a sign that was placed by someone else is just not appropriate for me, It is however the style of a lot of so called “Business People” in the world today. That is unfortunate. Jim’s solution is really silly (two wrongs just keep two people occupied, and nothing of value gets done). Now if you are having some trouble with someone removing your “Bandit” signs, why not get a little more knowledge; and go buy his mortgage. Then you could knock on his door and say, “Hi, I am your new Mortgagee”, please don’t screw with my signs. There is comfort in power.

Re: 2 Questions about bandit signs - Posted by Jim Locker

Posted by Jim Locker on January 11, 2001 at 14:35:31:

Were I to come by and find my sign gone, and your sign there, I might choose to make it my business to eliminate your signs wherever and whenever I encountered them - including in the yard of your property.

Re: 2 Questions about bandit signs - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on January 11, 2001 at 14:13:16:

1. Some localities are strict about this sort of thing, others are not. Try it and see what happens.

2. It would be my practice to never, ever interfere with anyone else’s business. I would never remove anyones signs and I would hope to receive the same courtesy.

RL

Re: 2 Questions about bandit signs - Posted by Fran (CA)

Posted by Fran (CA) on January 25, 2001 at 02:25:02:

Hi Jim,

Great ideas on the “Bandit Signs”. Now here’s something that I have been trying to figure out. We just bought a new car, a Saturn, and magnets will not stick to the plastic doors. Any suggestions on how else to do car signs without ruining the paint? Any ideas would be helpful.

Thank you,

Fran

How much do you pay for yours? - Posted by Monique

Posted by Monique on January 14, 2001 at 10:13:03:

Jim,

How much do you pay for your bandit signs?

We plan to add signs to our marketing arsenal in the next 30 days. I saw a price quoted of $299 for 100. How does that compare?

Thanks!
Monique

ps: I read your posts all the time and I’m bummed you won’t be making it to the Convention. I’m sure many of us were looking forward to meeting you.

Re: 2 Questions about bandit signs - Posted by Christopher-FL

Posted by Christopher-FL on January 11, 2001 at 14:38:00:

Let me clarify…I wasn’t at ALL suggesting that I would remove anyone’s sign…just wondering how y’all do business.

:slight_smile:

Re: 2 Questions about bandit signs - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on January 25, 2001 at 06:31:29:

Fran,
Sure, here are a couple of rather cost effective ideas that come to mind.
I noticed you are from CA, so the cold weather that beats these signs up in my area should not be an issue.
To get the word out QUICK, you could always print up some signs on regualr paper using your computer/printer and scotch tape some signs to the inside of your car windows.
And, here is something I just ordered for my car and several family members cars as well.
Contact your local printer and ask about those plastic signs that stick to the inside of the car window and do not use any kind of adhesive.
You know the type, I’m sure some local radiop stations have them in your area.
I just ordered some from my local printer and will be getting a set of 12 signs for $30.
These stick to the inside of the car window and should stay there if the weather does not change drastically. (like it does here in the Windy City every winter.)
I cannot at the moment recall what the name or type of sign this is, but they will soon be in the rear windows of my cars and all my relatives/friends cars as well.
They are clear plastic and have BIG BRIGHT RED lettering saying, “I Buy Homes xxx-xxx-xxxx”.
They are kind of like bumper stickers, except they stick to the inside of the car window.
I have not gotten a great response from my vehicle advertising, but one deal makes it more than worth the cost.
Check out those options locally.

HTH,
Jim IL