2 questions - Posted by Tom Solseth

Posted by Jim Brenn on March 22, 2006 at 14:07:23:

This repair is easy, but in some states liabity ataches to the last person that works on applince. Be it two days ago or ten years. Do you want this, I don’t. Why not run a circut from fuse panil and go electric, that is what I do.

Jim

2 questions - Posted by Tom Solseth

Posted by Tom Solseth on March 20, 2006 at 22:06:40:

I am a newbie. Done a Lonnie and a land/home package. Both worked well. Question 1 - I need to replace a thermocoupling on the stove on the land/home trailer. The guy I bought the replacement thermocoupling from said it is easy to replace. I have limited skills and am uneasy replacing something that runs on gas. I am willing to give it a try but am asking for some advice. The stove and the thermocoupling are old (bought the new termocoupling used - stove is old and you can’t get new parts.) I can have it replaced by somone who knows what they are doing for about $100. Don’t want to blow my tenants up so am asking for advice! Question 2 - I am looking at a MH that is a 1973. Nice, everything works on the deal except where I am you can’t move a trailer that old in my county or to any of the surrounding counties. The trailer does not need to be moved per the PM. Only met the PM once (went very well), it’s a decent park with some older MH in it, some newer SW and DW. Does anybody have advice on this situation? I REALLY appreciate the discussion forum. It is so great to be able to tap into the experienced people and get help. Thanks so much.

Re: 2 questions - Posted by Bobbie Henderson

Posted by Bobbie Henderson on March 23, 2006 at 02:41:45:

Hi Tom,

Try St Vicent DePaul for used appliances. They guarantee for one year here. How about your local Good Will?
We have purchased appliances from DePaul but not the Good Will. All were in good shape, are working nicely and the cost for a washer & dryer was $50.00 each. We then donated the non-working appliance to them, they hauled off, and we wrote off the donation.

Just a thought. It worked for us.

Good luck,
Bobbie :slight_smile:

2 questions: only one answer - Posted by Craig

Posted by Craig on March 21, 2006 at 16:44:23:

Look up “troubleshooting gas stoves” on google. You’ll be surprised
how many sites you’ll come up with. The thermocouple is for your pilot
light- it is a safety feature only. Normally the tips of the thermocouple
oxidizes from constant heat and break at the original weld. It should
be the same as a gas water heater or gas furnace. Sometimes you can
even find schematics for replacing them at your local library. If you put
it in incorrectly, worse case scenario is the pilot flame will not light. If
the replacement thermocouple is faulty from a break in the wire, you
will have the same problem. Get an ohm meter to test resistance or
rather continuity in the wiring. If you have continuity, then you have a
good thermocouple.

Find a handyman that will replace the thermocouple instead of your
present resource person for $100 or go back to the guy that you
bought it from and have him show you on a stove that he has. Once
you understand how to replace it, it will be as easy as he claims.

Re: 2 questions - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on March 21, 2006 at 10:12:37:

I don’t get too many gas stoves in my area but I would approach this problem much like I do an electrical issue.

If you fix it, especially (as you admitted) you have little experience with this problem, you are placing both your buyer/tenant and yourself at great risk.

I have learned the hard way. Unless the stove needs something very minor, I buy a used one from Habitat for Humanity (usually about $75) or a used appliance store. The used appliance stores often deliver for free and will take the old stove out after installing the new (these stores tend to cost more however).

Once the price of the used appliance store gets too high, then I consider buying a new, inexpensive stove. They also install the new and haul off the old (usually for a fee of about $50).

I will no longer spend $100 on an old stove.

If you are Lonnie dealing this home, then I would simply haul the old stove out and sell it “as is” and let the buyer buy their own.

“Tell you what, I know that this home needs a stove, if you will buy your own I will knock $500 off the purchase price.”

We can work the terms to make out profit and they get what they want.

For what its worth, my approach to refridgerator is very similar.

Tony

Re: 2 questions - Posted by JeffB (MI)

Posted by JeffB (MI) on March 21, 2006 at 09:10:39:

$100 to fix an old stove? Where I live there are places that sell used, refurbished appliances. They are not always real pretty like new, but they work and they’re cheap. I could get a used stove for $100 or less. I wouldn’t monkey with getting an old one fixed, unless you feel it would be more work to get rid of the old one and move a new one in.

Regarding Question 2, I’ve sold several in that age range, it’s not impossible but I do find it much more difficult to sell a 12-wide as opposed to a 14 or 16. Likely at that age you are dealing with a 12 wide. The only way I take those is free, and they need to be in good condition. But your area/market may be different.

Re: 2 questions - Posted by Tom Solseth

Posted by Tom Solseth on March 21, 2006 at 11:34:53:

Thanks for the input. I bought this as a L/H package right after your bootcamp last Sep. The deal was so good I did not check the stove to see if it was working. I wanted to get it done and worry about the m/h repairs later. I only saw the home at night and it is in poor shape. However, I sold as is for $6700. The buyers have already started fixing it up. They have paid on time and are easy to deal with so I am trying to fix the oven for them as a favor. They have told me they don’t care if the oven is fixed so I’ll keep looking for a used one. The used gas ones are hard to find.

Re: 2 questions - Posted by Tom Solseth

Posted by Tom Solseth on March 21, 2006 at 11:19:06:

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. Iv’e looked for a used stove but have not found any inexpensive gas ones. Plenty of electric. I’ll keep looking.

The market here is good for the older homes. My concern is if I ever have to move it I literally can’t because of a new law that only allows 1976 and up to be moved and set up. The older ones have to stay where they are or moved to the junkyard.

Were you at the L/H Bootcamp last Sep?

Re: 2 questions - Posted by Joe-ga

Posted by Joe-ga on March 22, 2006 at 16:09:14:

check the local shopper magazines or buy sell papers on the local store counter.