a landlordy question - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by Laure on May 12, 2000 at 17:51:59:

I’d check on her to make sure she’s not plugged into anything. I’d probably talk to her and discuss how she is going to remedy this situation. Then, help her call the churches in the area as they help in situations like this. Geez, there are other organizations that do the same with utilities and past rent…trying to think of them. I’ll call one of my low income Tenants… they know all the ins and outs. As a Landlord, I’ve had to send letters to these places telling them the length of tenancy etc… then they cut me the check for the rent ! United Way? I know one girl got money from the Catholic church and she wasn’t even Catholic. They have funds set aside for these situations, but they only help each family once during the year.

Hope I got your mind working. I’ll get a hold of one of my Tenants and ask her …

Laure :slight_smile:

a landlordy question - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on May 12, 2000 at 14:12:06:

One of my tenants is out of work (I know through the grapevine) and her electric is cut off.
This is in a small apt complex (5 units).

Tonight another tenant called to say that the neighbor had come asking if she could plug in
an extention cord to run her a/c (window unit) and fortunately the other replied that a/c’s
were not meant to be run that way. Now the neighbor thinks she’s likely to plug a cord into
the outside outlet. Disaster waiting to happen!

If I see it, I can do something about it.

But my question is, what can a landlord do if a tenant’s utilities are shut off? The lease
doesn’t say specifically that they have to be on (and I thought we had covered 'most
EVERY contingency!), but it is neither safe nor smart for this to go on like this.

Any suggestions?

Her rent was paid this month btw.

Re: a landlordy question - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on May 12, 2000 at 21:27:36:

a follow up on my post below:

Salvation Army, Catholic Social Services

Laure ;-0

Re: a landlordy question - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on May 12, 2000 at 17:28:33:

Jim is right. I had a problem like this last fall. The tenant’s water got shut off and he started borrowing water from the neighbor. Once I got wind of all this, I gave him a statutory 7-day notice to correct the situation or move. I quoted such things in my lease such as “code violations,” “illegal activities,” “disturbing peace and quiet enjoyment of others,” and lastly “having the water shut off.” (My lease requires all tenants to have electricity, water, sewer, and telephone connected at all times.) Needless to say he dug up the money from somewhere to get it turned back on.

Good luck.

Re: a landlordy question - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on May 12, 2000 at 16:16:59:

Does your lease cover the tenants doing things that are unsafe and/or illegal?
If it does, than there is your answer.
Plugging into an electrical outlet that is not hers, nor one she pays for to be supplied is stealing service. It is also unsafe, as you know.
So, a quick letter to the renter, or a phone call, or visit may help here.
Talk to her and let her know that you cannot and will not tolerate her jeopardizing your ENTIRE building with the unsafe, against code, plugging in of the air conditioner.
Also, point out to her that this would undoubtedly violate the city codes, and could result in a fine, or some other problem.
If that happens you will have no choise but to remove the problem, which means she will be evicted.
When she sees that she can either sweat and stay there, or get kicked out, she will come around.

Good luck,
Jim IL

Re: a landlordy question - Posted by Bert G

Posted by Bert G on May 13, 2000 at 11:47:29:

Further followup:
St. Vincent DePaul. They helped my tenants a couple of times.

Re: a landlordy question - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on May 12, 2000 at 17:37:43:

Thanks, guys.
Guess what I’m adding to my leases from now on! They do call for meeting code, regulations, etc but now I get to check and see if the county addresses utilities!

Actually, if I just get myself over there and talk with her I can probably get something resolved.

Thanks for the input.

PD how’s fatherhood treating you?