A salut to my father. - Posted by Carol

Posted by JPiper on April 02, 1999 at 13:10:30:

Thanks for sharing this touching story…and great advice. It looks like your Dad is still “teaching” through you.

Happy Easter

JPiper

A salut to my father. - Posted by Carol

Posted by Carol on April 02, 1999 at 13:00:49:

Many of you share really personal thoughts on this board - it’s my turn. Thanks for listening.

Four years ago today, Good Friday, my dad passed away.

He did this like everything else I remember him doing - with purpose, conviction and determination. Having been given a year to 18 months with colon cancer, he (1) got ‘really pi**y’ for a couple of weeks and then (2) got really determined to go ahead an pass on, being physically, psychologically, emotionally, financially and spiritually ready for it.

And he did, in less than three months… choosing to die on Good Friday afternoon (at my husband’s encouraging).

So what does this have to do with REI?

As far back as 1949 or 50, he was doing Creative Deals: I remember the story of his buying a lot no money down, then borrowing money from the broker as a down payment, so he could go get his VA loan to build the house, walking away from the closing with the down payment loan repaid and cash in his pocket!.

This was anecdotal. I never got into ‘business stuff’ with him - I was the daughter, afterall.

But I truly believe it created a mindset, a level of subconscious belief, because I have NEVER questioned the validity, or nor the reality of ‘creative real estate’, nor my personal ability, or right, to be involved in it since we chose to get started.

Where is this going?

We have had a number of discussions here recently about our children - Laure’s son, Steve’s daughter. Just thought I’d share how my ‘early programming’ may have served to furnish me a mindset in my ‘middle age’. Hope this is an encouragement to all of us to be mindful of the influence of the paradigms we transmit to our children from the earliest years. I think my dad would be proud of me.

Thanks for letting me share this with you. Happy Easter, Happy Passover, to all.

Carol

Re: A salut to my father. - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on April 03, 1999 at 09:23:28:

Carol,
Great and touching story, I have my daughter with me for the holidays and yesterday we were driving down the road and she pointed out homes that needed rehab. It was cute, she would just say “whoa, there goes a rehab project” and all I could do is laugh.

SCook85

Re: A salut to my father. - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on April 03, 1999 at 08:11:48:

KUDOS, Carol.

Laure:-)
PS>>> My daughter said yesterday: “I want to own houses too !”

Re: A salut to my father. - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on April 02, 1999 at 21:52:33:

Beautiful Carol. Thanks for sharing with us.

Re: A salut to my father. - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on April 02, 1999 at 21:47:00:

Thank you for sharing…
Happy Easter to you too.

Re: A salut to my father. - Posted by karp

Posted by karp on April 02, 1999 at 14:32:44:

I used to always try to return the favors of this guy who helped me out alot in life.
He always refused and said “That’s not how it works, you gotta pass it on down the line and keep it flowing.”
I only got this last year.

Thanks for your story…keep it flowing.

karp