A tenant surprise... - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Anne_ND on September 17, 2003 at 08:08:53:

http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/arc_2002/arc_84/84009.html

A tenant surprise… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on September 15, 2003 at 11:22:12:

I have just started evicting a tenant and in today’s mail
is a set of keys from him saying he can’t afford the rent and has moved out. He has also set up a self-imposed payment plan to catch up on arrearages! Wow, finally a half-decent human being. Usually I get, “I can’t afford the rent but I still intend to live here until you drag me out kicking and screaming. Even then I will steal most of what’s here and damage the rest. Thank you for your continued patience!” LOL

Re: A tenant surprise… - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on September 15, 2003 at 15:01:34:

Ben:

Happened to me once.

I evicted a tenant, who later filed bankruptcy, but verbally assured me he’ll pay up the back rent.

Called me up one day and asked how much he should put down on the “proof of claim”. I said to leave me out of it, square off all your other creditors, and call me when you’re back on your feet.

I never expected to hear from him again.

Two years later, my new tenant found an envelope in his mailbox addressed to me, including a $50.00 money order. The note said he lost my phone, and address, and please get back to him.

I got weekly payments of $50.00, bringing the balance from $6,000.00 down to around $1,400. Finally, he asked if he can give me a lump sum, and if I give him a discount.

We finally agreed to a 50% settlement of the $1,400 due. I went by his house, sat down for a beer, and he gave me a check for $700.00. By this point, I figured I was way ahead of the game.

He ran a marketing company, and he agreed to give me advice on a new business I was kicking off at the time.

I discussed this often with my wife. It seems at a time when every creditor called him, and threatened him, we did the opposite, told him “not to worry”, pay us “when …”.

From a practical point of view, there’s nothing else that we could’ve be done. From what he told me, every one else got almost nothing at the bankrupcy.

Wondered if another landlord would’ve been screaming and yelling for the rent.

Frank Chin

Re: Wow…you… - Posted by Cassie

Posted by Cassie on September 15, 2003 at 14:59:00:

WOW!!! You found the needle in the hay stack and the 4 leaf clover!

Good Job
Cassie

Re: A tenant surprise… - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on September 15, 2003 at 12:19:19:

Ben,

Wow…thats a rare story in the landlording world!

Most of the time they damage the property and steal anything thats not tied down.

I even had a guy steal the recycling bins and the garbage can from one of my places. geeez!

Regards,

RichV(FL)

My best one yet… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on September 15, 2003 at 14:33:01:

was discovering what used to be a second story bay window had been transformed into a large-gaping hole!
(NOT laughing out loud!)

missing doors - Posted by Del-Ohio

Posted by Del-Ohio on September 15, 2003 at 21:30:01:

A couple weeks ago one of our “inherited” tenants moved out and took six doors with them. All bedroom, bathroom and closet doors.

Talked to the local police. They are looking for the husband in connection with a string of burglaries in the neighborhood.

Yesterday I get a call from social services who are looking for the tenants young child.

A neighbor told me wife made good money dancing on the bar at the Ugly Mug. Always wondered how they could pay their rent on time while neither one of them was working.

Life as a landlord never ceases to be interesting.

Del-Ohio

Re: My best one yet… - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on September 15, 2003 at 20:08:12:

Ben,

Oh, I can see you have had some live ones also as tenants.

What the heck did they do to that bay window, throw a grenade through it?

RichV(FL)

Re: another goofy one - Posted by DavidV

Posted by DavidV on September 16, 2003 at 23:03:52:

My handyman’s mom rents out mobile homes. She had a tenant that couldn’t figure out how to run some cable, so he went in a closet with his shotgun and shot a hole through the roof. Then called later complaining the roof was leaking. doh.

I bet if everybody chipped in a story we could make one funny book of stories :slight_smile:

My father-in-law has the ultimate… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on September 16, 2003 at 05:25:25:

tenant nightmare story. He owned two adjacent apartment units. The tenants despised each other and fought constantly. One tenant ended up murdering the other one.
He went to jail and my father-in-law lost two paying tenants in one shot!

No… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on September 15, 2003 at 20:35:29:

they removed it fully intact. I’m sure it’s proudly displayed wherever they happen to live now!