Advertising for Dummies... - Posted by Vince

Posted by Bob-MD on September 20, 2004 at 07:27:57:

If your county public records are online, go there and look up the names and addresses. You could also use a crisscross directory available at the public library.

Advertising for Dummies… - Posted by Vince

Posted by Vince on September 18, 2004 at 18:32:18:

…the dummy being…me? Or is it that I simply don’t possess the patience that perhaps investing veterans have acquired through experience? The question is borne out of the sludge patch that seems to mire my current efforts, as I’m failing to receive the response that I had anticipated to a recent newspaper advertisement. I’ve taken out a classified “Rent to Own” in the “Houses, Rent/Buy” section of the classifieds (Indianapolis, IN: “IndyStar”), and have received only a few calls in the past three days. I’m feeling as though I missed something, having expected more interest. Assuming the verbiage/shorthand is sound, and the market is viable, is my response par for the course?

Vince

This helped me. - Posted by Jeff

Posted by Jeff on September 20, 2004 at 05:38:10:

You can’t just buy houses and expect they will sale in all markets with an ad like all the gurus say.

Jeff

Re: Advertising for Dummies… - Posted by John-Fl

Posted by John-Fl on September 19, 2004 at 10:45:41:

I’ve had very good success with putting signs in a 2-3 mile radius of the house.

Rent to Own! 3/2 like new! Low Down $XXX/ mo 123-345-5678

Re: Advertising for Dummies… - Posted by DP (ON)

Posted by DP (ON) on September 18, 2004 at 20:31:36:

Recently my classified ads have tanked as far as calls, but they draw TONS of traffic to the website. Directional signs on the other hand, pulled in about 60 calls and sold my last RTO (in 9 days I might add).

Re: Advertising for Dummies… - Posted by Wiesie

Posted by Wiesie on September 18, 2004 at 22:47:20:

Could you tell me about your directional signs, we have a rehabbed house on the MLS, have advertised in the paper 3 weekends and cannot get traffic to the house, also have a sign out with flyers in a tube. We need help

Re: Advertising for Dummies… - Posted by DP (ON)

Posted by DP (ON) on September 19, 2004 at 08:33:11:

My signs read:

RENT TO OWN
3 BEDROOM

Re: Advertising for Dummies… - Posted by Joe

Posted by Joe on September 19, 2004 at 24:50:36:

The best thing I have done, recently, is to develop a postcard to the closest 250 neighbors. For a cost of less than $150, you can send 250 large (8.5" x 5.5") postcards.

The message is simple. “I have been working to refurbish a home in your neighborhood. It’s now just like new inside and ready for sale. If you know of a friend or relative that would like to live in this area, please have them call me or drive-by the house. If they buy the house, I’ll give you $500 for your help.”

(It’s more than that, but you get the idea.)

$500. Chicken feed, especially compared to agent commissions.

Re: Advertising for Dummies… - Posted by Wiesie

Posted by Wiesie on September 19, 2004 at 10:35:38:

I have done this, using as a header…Pick your New Neighbor. Actually sent it in letter form addressed to the closest 100 neighbors, I hand wrote the envelope so they would open it and it only cost me the price of 100 stamps and 100 copies at Kinko’s. I think this is a wonderful idea, didn’t work here but has in the past.

Re: Advertising for Dummies… - Posted by Dee

Posted by Dee on September 19, 2004 at 20:45:26:

How do you find 100 of the closest neighbors? Where do you find the names and addresses?
Thanks,