Advertising in church newsletters - Posted by osirus

Posted by Scott Vorous on October 05, 2003 at 10:05:44:

I found the following in our church bulletin last Sunday:

• ADVERTISING: He who has a thing to sell and goes and whispers in a well, is not so apt to get the dollars as he who climbs a tree and hollers.

• Please patronize our advertisers and let them know you appreciate their support of our parish bulletin - that’s the best way to thank them for your bulletin.

In our church’s case, these advertisements pay for the bulletin. It would be poor form (in my opinion) to offer donations as this could be viewed as unethical solicitation. I would suggest making anonomous donations ever time you make a sale. The word gets out somehow and goodwill is generally a result of your generosity.

Here’s another note: Don’t be ashamed of your business and always do the right thing… if you stick to these precepts, you’ll never regret doing this awesome thing we do. If, on the other hand, you’re afraid to advertise because “creative” RE investing is not commonly known and it could be misconstrued… just do your best to be ethical and fair. People will eventually start to understand your character and cut you some slack. You must treat ALL in this business fairly and squarely. You do this, and you’ll have nothing to be ashamed of. Just my 2 cents worth.

Advertising in church newsletters - Posted by osirus

Posted by osirus on October 03, 2003 at 15:38:26:

I would like some in put about advertising in church newsletters.
This should be a cheap way to reach alot of people. Plus, I could place a flyer on any of their bulletin boards. In addition, I could ask that members of the church place a flyer and or take one box of at their place of business.

My benefits to the church and its members are:

1. Fast hassle free sale of their property.
  2. $500 donation to their church for each successful deal I make.

What do you think of the overall idea …good…bad?
Are there any issues I have not considered?
Any suggestions for improvement?

Re: A different view-point - Posted by freeman

Posted by freeman on October 05, 2003 at 20:08:33:

Let me offer a different view-point. I recently had lunch with my pastor. We talked about my hoped-for REI business (as we have many times before). The great thing about this business is that it may someday allow me more time to serve my church, and possibly (if my business grows large enough) the opportunity to help others by hiring people to help me. Not to mention helping others to own their own home, providing more income for me to tithe with, etc. God has worked wonders in our church already through wonderful REIs and other people in the RE businees. We were recently blessed with 24 prime acres of land that a Christian women sold to us for $225,000 (was worth several times that). Then someone anonymously stepped in and paid the $225,000 in the church’s behalf. 24 acres for nothing! We also have an anonymous REI who is considering donating a commercial building to us as a tax write-off. We could then sell the thing, and pay cash to put a ministry center on our free land. Galatians 5:1. “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free”.

Re: Advertising in church newsletters - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on October 04, 2003 at 08:42:59:

I thoroughly disagree with all previous posts in this thread. I think this is a fine idea. Most churches accept paid advertising in their bulletins nowadays. It’s a revenue generator for them, whether they want to think of it that way or not, and I don’t see anything wrong with that. Since when should business & church not help one another as part of the fabric of the local community?

As for the $500 donation thing, I do agree that might be perceived wrong, and create the wrong impression, all to no advantage. You don’t have to do this anyway - you pay for the advertisement. If you want to do even more for the church, do the $500 donation per deal thing, just do it privately. Wouldn’t you rather people hear about that after the fact from the minister, instead of before it from you? Which way do you think would generate more good will?

As for “creative” real estate investors having a bad stigma from lack of understanding, that’s just something we’ll all have to work on, right? Let me see if I’ve got this right - according to previous posts in this thread, it’s ok for real estate agents to advertise in church bulletins, but not investors? Real Estate Agents help people buy & sell houses, and make a profit from it. Real Estate Investors… help people buy & sell houses, and make a profit from it. I fail to see a huge material difference. The main one, of course, is that we are direct principals in the transaction. Is that the difference that people are upset about? I highly doubt that. I think this just boils down to educating the public, a charge we all share in part. We are not operating differently than any other business advertising in the bulletin - we sell either a product, service, or both, in order to make a profit, so that we can provide for ourselves and our families. We are no more or less righteous than the barbecue shack, or the hairdresser, or whoever else is advertising in there. As to the righteousness of the profit motive itself, I’ll just put Deuteronomy 8:18 out there and leave it at that.

Re: Advertising in church newsletters - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on October 04, 2003 at 08:38:08:

osirus,

Dont do it. I dont think it would fly very well with church members.

Why not try your local greensheet/thrifty nickel/penny saver?

They are a great way to advertise and reach alot of people.

Great Success,

RichV(FL)

Re: Advertising in church newsletters - Posted by roger

Posted by roger on October 03, 2003 at 23:52:13:

this is a bad idea,i’ve worked in the church for 25,yrs and yes our paper has some ads by our members ,doctors, lawyers,some re agents but what you are talking about creative r,e, purchases is still not understood and fround upon by those who don’t understand it,as for bulletin boards say you put your ads on one then someone else puts his than someone else and so forth ,the congregation will most likely put up a fuss because this is a religious intitution not a public bill board for who ever, you don’t know the trouble this will cause not just you but your minister too, ( seen it won’t work forget it )

Re: Advertising in church newsletters - Posted by Rob Ricker

Posted by Rob Ricker on October 03, 2003 at 20:22:58:

Some things are more important than generating business. I don’t think this is a good idea. Especially the $500 donation thing. I don’t see any good Christians being impressed by your $500 donation. They may perceive you as a snake and a cheat (I’m not saying that you are)

Re: Advertising in church newsletters - Posted by jack

Posted by jack on October 03, 2003 at 19:43:57:

Let try and keep the business out of church!

Phil Hartman’s mini camel & jumbo needle - Posted by Hank FL

Posted by Hank FL on October 04, 2003 at 17:52:32:

Church newsletters are fine. I know a of a very smart guy that likes to find tennants from church sources. He’s not looking for the freaks that wear religion on their sleeves but will be the first to stick it to you, but rather folks that understand right & wrong.

I plugged in Deuteronomy 8:18 into google, and a little while after I plugged in “eye of the needle”, and came up with:

Luke 18:25
For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

And then I thought of a skit from Saturday Night Live from about 7 years ago.

Phil Hartman was playing the part of a Billionare that was getting towards the end of his life and was a little concerned about a certain Bible verse.

So he spent millions genetically altering & cloning a camel to the size of a cat. He then manufactured a giant needle…

I think of that skit and laugh whenever God & $ are brought up.

Hank

P.S. Jack is such a cacasentenze.

Re: Advertising in church newsletters - Posted by osirus

Posted by osirus on October 04, 2003 at 10:54:42:

“”“I thoroughly disagree with all previous posts in this thread. I think this is a fine idea. Most churches accept paid advertising in their bulletins nowadays. It’s a revenue generator for them, whether they want to think of it that way or not, and I don’t see anything wrong with that. Since when should business & church not help one another as part of the fabric of the local community?”“”

I was going to scrap the whole idea based on the other post. Know you have me rethinking it.

“”“As for the $500 donation thing, I do agree that might be perceived wrong, and create the wrong impression, all to no advantage. You don’t have to do this anyway - you pay for the advertisement. If you want to do even more for the church, do the $500 donation per deal thing, just do it privately. Wouldn’t you rather people hear about that after the fact from the minister, instead of before it from you? Which way do you think would generate more good will?”“”

There was reasoning behind this. First, I had know idea if that churches accepted advertising in their newsletters. In fact, I assumed that they did not and I would have to convinced them to make an exception for me. Second, several marketing books I have read mention these concepts: “affinity marketing” (associating your product or service with someone or something respected and trusted),“word of mouth marketing”, “WIIFT” (“What?s in it for them!”) I figured that I could hit all three of these birds with one stone. In addition, churches in my area are always having fundraisers. I thought offering $500 would give incentive to allow me to advertise in their newsletter even if they don?t normally allow advertising. In any event, it will probably work out better if I offer the $500 after the fact.

“”“As for “creative” real estate investors having a bad stigma from lack of understanding, that’s just something we’ll all have to work on, right? Let me see if I’ve got this right - according to previous posts in this thread, it’s ok for real estate agents to advertise in church bulletins, but not investors? Real Estate Agents help people buy & sell houses, and make a profit from it. Real Estate Investors… help people buy & sell houses, and make a profit from it. I fail to see a huge material difference. The main one, of course, is that we are direct principals in the transaction. Is that the difference that people are upset about? I highly doubt that. I think this just boils down to educating the public, a charge we all share in part. We are not operating differently than any other business advertising in the bulletin - we sell either a product, service, or both, in order to make a profit, so that we can provide for ourselves and our families. We are no more or less righteous than the barbecue shack, or the hairdresser, or whoever else is advertising in there. As to the righteousness of the profit motive itself, I’ll just put Deuteronomy 8:18 out there and leave it at that.”“”

I think the problem is “familiarity”. Although, lawyers and real estate agents may have a stigma worse than a real estate investor, these professions probably have been used by church members before. Where as creative REI is somewhat underground.

Right know I am on the fenced whether I should go ahead and do it or not.

Re: Advertising in church newsletters - Posted by Tom PA

Posted by Tom PA on October 04, 2003 at 10:43:58:

For those people who are so adament about keeping this out of the church: It makes me wonder hoe you actually view the business that you are in. I got the distinct impression that you view the things that you do as something that you want to hide from your church members.

Re: Advertising in church newsletters - Posted by Jerry Martin NC

Posted by Jerry Martin NC on October 03, 2003 at 21:03:21:

If you came to me with that idea I would have to turn it down. As a Pastor I am responsible for the spiritual welfare of my members. I try to stay out of finances except to advise against debt and especially credit cards. Might I suggest a local shopper paper if there is one in your town.

Re: Advertising in church newsletters - Posted by Tom-FL

Posted by Tom-FL on October 07, 2003 at 21:47:13:

Let me just throw in my two cents here.

I of course, don’t think most RE investors are crooks any more than anyone else here. However, I will say the impression at large is just that. In my own life, whenever I tell someone new what I’m doing, there are the two standard responses:

1. That’s a get rich quick scheme (as seen on TV).
  2. I’m out to steal houses from the disadvantaged.

As far as the $500 donation is concerned, perhaps you might consider “sponsoring” an event, like the Christmas or Easter play. Or if there is a school, how about sponsoring a team, buying uniforms and so forth. You could buy textbooks too … “Donated by City House Buyers”. BTW, I fully agree with the admonition against pre-announcing your intentions. Just do it, even before getting a deal.

If you are rehabbing, you could do free rehabs once in a while using volunteers from the church. Get your materials donated by local businesses and you just organize the event. If you have a crew, donate a day of their time as well. You didn’t hear it from me, but maybe “someone” could give the news stations and newspapers an anonymous heads up about the event. You of course would be the spokesperson who tells how the CONGREGATION is helping this person. You will just have to surreptitiously slip your plug in there somewhere.

Re: Advertising in church newsletters - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on October 05, 2003 at 11:48:58:

Well, at least I was able to provide an opposing point of view, so you’d have both sides from which to make a decision. The bottom line, for you, or anyone, is that if you somehow feel that this stuff is immoral, then a) you shouldn’t be doing it, and b) that will show through when you are talking to people.

I think a lot of people DO have the impression that we are bilking little old ladies out of their houses, when often the reality is, we are the only thing standing in between our clients, and the abyss. Remember, sellers don’t call us first - they call us LAST. That means we are their final, and often their only option. We are helping people, who are often in trouble, or about to be in trouble, to get out of trouble, and to be “ok”. Offering help to a neighbor in need of aid - what could be more Christian than that?