aggravation - Posted by robert

Posted by Tom (WA) on February 07, 2002 at 13:49:33:

David,

Many of us have more than one business and business cards are cheap. Give the PM the one that deals with financing or make it somewhat nebulous like “Ohio Capital.” Sounds pretty legitimant to me. Good luck, Tom

aggravation - Posted by robert

Posted by robert on February 06, 2002 at 14:20:01:

after reading this site and obtaining lonnies books i went to a park 906 spaces southwest chicago suburb and immediatley found about a dozen old mobile homes for sale that would be perfect for lonnie deals. after talking to several of these motivated sellers i went to speak with the park managers. after explaining what i wanted to do i was flatly refused by the woman in the office who stated that they don’t allow rentals. after explaining to her again that these would not be rentals she then said that there was no such thing as private financing. because this was new to her and required independent thinking she was more dtermined than ever not to talk to me. we agreed that i would return in a week for her to call corporate. no way. aflac !!! w

MISCOMMUNICATIONS - Posted by ScottS(NC)

Posted by ScottS(NC) on February 06, 2002 at 17:33:35:

robert,

Hi, This issue with pm’S is one of the key issues in this business. You Must learn to speak like you do this all the time. The reason I say this is she DIDN’T understand you! Now whether it is your fault or her fault is totaly irrelevent. You must go in to the PM’s office Prepared. Dont just walk up after work one day and announce your intentions. This will put people on the defensive immediatly. Help them to say yes to you, first ask them if they have ANY financed homes in the park. The answer will definetly be yes. At that point say to them ok I work for a company that finances mobile home purchases. NEVER tell them you are doing private financing. This sounds like a AMATEUR and that is not the way to come across. Next tell the pm you are wondering what your BUYER will need to do to be approved to lease lot no#47. The whole premise of this concept is you never ask! When you ask people questions that they don’t feel comfortable or fimiliar with the answer is ALWAYS NO! When you ask a no-brainer like do you allow financed homes in your park its an easy yes. Then your in because you are a finance company! You have now been accepted in the park. If the PM still is hesitant I like to have a few more reasurrances like guaranteed lot rent for the entire duration of my note(If needed only). Also any other parks you have built relationships with ask them and use them for refrences. Randy I can’t stress enough the importance of a professional appearance, going in with a scripted game plan, and looking like you have done this a million times. Have business cards, dress neat, be profesional, listen and relate to what they are saying. I have used these concepts and now deal in and have permission to deal in 17 diffrent parks and have never been told no. I have had some PM’s that were skeptical and some tell me probably no, but after using all the above methods they always say yes in the end. I am a park owner so I do understand, and they do have legit worries. Don’t let no be the final word they want what you have to offer, you just have to show them why! HTH Take Care ScottS(NC)

Re: aggravation - Posted by Randy

Posted by Randy on February 06, 2002 at 16:14:12:

Robert how have you found this business to be in the Chicago area, other than this one park? I may have to relocate to the chicago area soon… I worked in the LaGrange area last year and go there twice a month now…

That’s just plain ignorant… (nt) - Posted by Chuck (AZ)

Posted by Chuck (AZ) on February 06, 2002 at 15:07:15:

nt

What do your business cards say? - Posted by David (OH)

Posted by David (OH) on February 07, 2002 at 07:49:14:

Do your cards say you Buy, Sell, & Finance Used MH’s or do they just refer to the financing only. I know I have mentioned this before, but I am concerned about saying you are a finance company and the PM coming to realize that you are a really an investor, buying low and selling high. Don’t get me wrong, I think this approach is as good or better than the “young couple” approach, just trying to identify pitfalls and possible solutions.

David

Re: What do your business cards say? - Posted by ScottS(NC)

Posted by ScottS(NC) on February 07, 2002 at 15:52:15:

David,

Yes, my cards do say I buy sell and finance. I have never had a pm question me on this but if I did I would simply tell them the truth. I do occasionally buy and fix-up and sell but mainly I finance. HTH Take Care ScottS(NC)