AIG Workshop - Posted by Corinne

Posted by Al on March 17, 2001 at 06:55:40:

Connie. Take Rob’s advice. If you are really interested in R.E. investing, the Creonline Covention will probably be the best one thing you can do. Be carefull of Infomercial Pitchmen, they have chosen to play to the masses through the media. Your local Real Estate Investment Association (REIA) is a must and an excellent source of reasonable and free advise, just like this site and their reasonably priced courses.

AIG Workshop - Posted by Corinne

Posted by Corinne on March 17, 2001 at 01:09:30:

My husband and I attended an American Investors Group workshop tonight. We learned of the workshop via an infomertial (sp?). We are wondering if anyone knows anything about their system. It is a rather hefty investment financially ($5,950) plus we would need to pay travel expenses to attend the course. It sounded very hands on–other investors, “unique financing companies”, “mentors and coaches” would be at this four day class.

We would appreciate any info. about AIG. Thank you.

Corinne and Clif

Re: AIG Workshop - Posted by EB

Posted by EB on March 18, 2001 at 02:48:17:

I took a seminar from these guys in Vegas about 2.5 years ago. I still keep in contact with Kevin Shortle (kevin was the guy on TV), Fred Horwin, Elisa Stabile, etc… Believe me, if you go to their seminar for around $6,000 you will spend the next week listening to them tell you why you need to purchase more of their stuff… about another $2 to $10,000 worth. Believe me, you don’t really need all of this to begin. AIG will try to make you believe that buying home courses wont help you. Well, it is my experience that some of the home courses out there today are extremelely helpful and much, much cheaper. However, if you feel you need to have you hand held by a “coach”
and to drive you around and show you houses… not to mention have enough money to spend, then by all means go to the AIG seminar.

Believe me there are cheaper and just as effective of ways to learn real estate investing. Ron LeGrand has three home courses that are hands down the best out there today. They each sell for $600 and are sometimes all three on ebay for around $800 for all three. The courses come with 3 manuals and CD sets (the CDs are recordings from his seminars).

It is my experience that you should educate yourself as cheaply as possible at first, make some money from real estate, then spend the big bucks to attend very in depth seminars. Don’t spend around $6000 to learn beginner stuff. It is really not necessary.

Now understand, I am not trying to sell or promote ones or the others materials… I am just trying to tell you how I would do it if I had it to do all over again. Like I said, I have been AIG’s seminars, and have LeGrands materials… in my opinion, LeGrand’s stuff is better and cheaper. Then when you make some money, you can spend around $6000 and attend his specific seminars which will take the knowledge and expertise that you already have, refine it, and turn you into a real pro.

Again, if you are a beginner, don’t spend that kind of money to learn the basics… I know those guys at AIG and they are VERY GOOD at motivation and they will get you to spend all kinds of money before you have even made one penny.

Re: AIG Workshop-PS - Posted by Al

Posted by Al on March 17, 2001 at 07:00:10:

P.S. If you think the almost $6,000.00 for the AIG workshop is hefty and it is in fact outrageous, and you take it, wait till you see the ad ons they have for you at the workshop.

Re: AIG Workshop - Posted by Rob

Posted by Rob on March 17, 2001 at 04:26:54:

Where is this workshop at?

For that price is a little steep. You and your spouse could go to the CRE convention at Atlanta for 595 + 395 + 990. Includes hotel (if not sold out) one dinner, and three breakfast included + all the knowledge of other investors. Check the banner on top.

There will be many beginners, novices, and experience investors there. People that have, and are going real deals. Check out the posting on the recent, and past convention. Also, their posting too.

Good Luck!
Rob

P.s. Recommendation: Ask John Bittel, NJ

Re: AIG Workshop - Posted by Corinne

Posted by Corinne on March 18, 2001 at 14:18:49:

Dear EB, Al and Rob,

Thank you so much for your response to my post. I really appreciate the time and information you passed along. You confirmed our intuition in not signing up, on the spot for the AIG class. It was interesting to watch the speaker use motivational techniques to try to convince us that the $5,950 was the best money we could have ever spent on our education.

We had hoped to find a way to get to the CRE Convention but could not find a babysitter for our son. We are in California–I’m hoping that there may be a seminar or something on the West Coast.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Corinne

Re: AIG Workshop-PS - Posted by Rob

Posted by Rob on March 17, 2001 at 09:59:35:

Depends on what you are trying to do? Most likely you’re trying to fast track. If you don’t know much, it will cost you 6K to know only the basis. You might be all, or little confused for 6K. I would rather be confused for 1K, but that won’t happen in the CRE. The mix investors whom have the same goals as you and me will be there. They been there! Done that! Also, if you decide you can always buy the material, if you like.

Seminar people are out to make money like every seminar, but some sell only that. There is big money behind that. You have to find a seminar with people who are doing it and teaching it. They want to give back. How can you argue with someone who brought 1000 houses and can proof it. What do you know about the seminar folks? They talk, and sound good, right?
Every seminar I have been to talk and sound good. The’re professional speakers hired to talk and sound good. Sometime they make get some like Robin Leech.

Rob

Re: AIG Workshop - Posted by clif

Posted by clif on March 17, 2001 at 10:38:12:

Rob
The workshop is in Reno nv, and the four day seminar is in Vegas the end of april.
Thanks for the responses!
Clif and Corinne
PS,We have been talking about the convention, one problem we are having is care for our 7 year old.