Am I being unreasonable with a new MH tenant? - Posted by RobertR CO

Posted by RobertR CO on June 22, 2000 at 18:00:09:

nt

Am I being unreasonable with a new MH tenant? - Posted by RobertR CO

Posted by RobertR CO on June 21, 2000 at 19:02:28:

Roy, the tenant, bought a new mobile home and the dealer put it on our mobile home lot. As part of the transaction, presumably so Roy could qualify with the lender, the new home dealer paid $205 out of $250/mo rent in advance for 12 months. That gives you us and idea of how much room they have on the mark up. Roy has only to pay $45/mo for the first 12 months.

Prior to Roy closing on his new home, Roy requested and received a sample lease which says no pets are allowed. Roy later signed the lease which says no pets. Roy now let me know he has a Blue Heeler; their coat actually has a blue hue to it in case you have not seen one. He said the dealer said a dog was allowed. The dealer said they refer all such inquiries to us and did not give such permission.

My solution: Raise Roy’s rent $15/mo and obtain an extra $150 security deposit in exchange for him keeping the dog on our lot.

What do you folks think is reasonable?

Cordially,

Robert

Re: Am I being unreasonable with a new MH tenant? - Posted by Jack-NY

Posted by Jack-NY on June 21, 2000 at 20:09:59:

Is this home setup in a park? or is it setup on it’s own lot? When Roy received the sample lease he was well aware of the “no pet policy” Roy then signed the lease so Roy is obligated to honor this lease.

It appears that Roy assumed that the dealer said that pets were allowed, when we assume, we make an ass out of you and me. I guess this would depend on the rules/regs of the park, if the home is located in a park.

If the park rules/regs state that there are no pets allowed, then I would no give in to Roy, because if you allow one tenant to have their way, you are now obligated to allow all tenants to do the same. I believe in treating all tenants fair, I do not give into anyone, I follow all rules/regs, with no exceptions.

However if this home is located on a lot that you own, this would change the whole tune. If Roy appears to be a good tenant you may go along with your suggestion of the $15.00 increase and the $150.00 sd.

Good Luck…

Jack-NY

We own the lot and… - Posted by RobertR CO

Posted by RobertR CO on June 22, 2000 at 17:58:06:

Jack,

This lot is one of many in a large park. All lots are individually owned; some call it a “condo” situation.

The rules and regulations of the area do not prohibit pets. I, the landlord, do. I have infrequently allowed them in the past but not anymore. In this case, I really have no intention of forcing him to move his new home over the dog. Besides, there may have been a misunderstanding started by the dealer, as Dirk Roach points out below. The alternative to eviction is having Roy pay extra.

Thanks for you response to my situation.
Cordially,

Robert

Just a side note - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on June 21, 2000 at 20:13:19:

You know I would not be at all suprised if this dealer said whatever it took to get the deal done.
However it sounds like Rob has a good solution.
Dirk