An Issue that is not very cool! - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Craig on March 15, 1999 at 10:23:03:

So the next time I buy a book in the amazon and someone wants to borrow it from me I should say no way, because they will probably copy it, just like we all copy video tapes and any thing else we enjoy. And I’m a very self righteous and pompous man. Just saw Schindler’s List last night and I taped it. I wonder if I loan it to a friend to tape, if I will be thrown into jail or even worse the bottomless pit. It’s not about sharing it with other people, it’s about profiting by selling someone elses ideas as your own, or profiting by selling someone elses ideas at all without their permission. You people are taking your lives way way too seriously and it would probably be no fun to do business with any of you. I’m in this business for the fun of it and the profit is a bonus. Now we’ve decided to call sharing; stealing, and profiting. I’m glad he’s coming soon and we shan’t have to worry about the petty things that make up our petty existence here, any longer.

An Issue that is not very cool! - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on March 12, 1999 at 19:37:13:

Hi everyone,
First let me say that is was great meeting everyone at the convention. It was great. I might have to get a new Rolodex from all the contacts and new friends I made.
Now onto the point of this post. As everyone pretty much knows, I’m conected to this site through my engagement to Jeanne (JP and Terry’s daughter), but I have nothing to do with it other than that. Besides of course being able to use it just like all of you. Really the operations of this site is too much work for me. ;-).
Anyhow someone approached me this week from the site. Now I’m not going to mention any names. But what happened was this. I was approached and asked if I could copy and trade a course which I have for a copied course which this person has. NOW THIS IS NOT COOL! The martial which one buys from this site (whether it is in printed, taped, VCR taped, etc.) is COPYWRITED. And it is a CRIME to do what this person wanted.
I told this person that and that was that. However it got me thinking. What happens a month down the road when this individual brings a deal to my plate. Now if this person was willing to break a copyright law, where does he/she draw their line? What they have done, at least to me, is show a pattern of behavior. They have a track record, and since there are the number of deals out there, which there are, I would pass. But it is an interesting hypothetical.
Also it got me thinking. Theft will hurt you and me. What happens is that when the writers and everyone starts losing business, two things will happen: First, they will be forced to raise their prices, then the prices skyrocket up and out of everyone’s league then the site falls apart, and I LOSE ACCESS to all these resources and contacts. AND SO DO YOU.
You know bottom line folks; the course that this person wanted to get for free was a measly 200 bucks. Now really 200 bucks isn’t much. If 200 bucks are holding you back from running your business, then you know what, you really need to be doing something else.
And in addition being 200 dollars cheap, you just blew your stance with me. What did that cost you?
Thanks friends for reading this it’s just something which came up, and I felt that I had to say something.
Dirk Roach

Re: An Issue that is not very cool! - Posted by Steve Heller

Posted by Steve Heller on March 14, 1999 at 07:34:32:

I used to lend tape programs and courses to friends. But no more. When they ask I just say ‘I have a policy of not doing it. I have lost too many good tapes and programs that way. Its not that I don’t trust you but just made it a policy not to lend anymore’. If they can’t handle that then its just too bad.

Steve Heller

Right on the Money! - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on March 13, 1999 at 14:06:45:

Dirk,
Thank you for bringing this topic to light.
Since returning from Dallas, all I think about is REI. Most of my friends are supportive, and have commented on how “Fired up” I am.
Many who said before that I was crazy to pursue this business are now asking more about it.
The problem is that they all want to “Barrow” my courses and books so that they too can “learn it”.
My response has been that the courses and books are invaluable assets and that they need to be kept for reference and guidance.
Therefore I will keep them, and they need to go buy thier own.
The way I see it is that IF they are seriously wanting to try and become REI’s they will spend the money on education, and not try to go the cheap route.
After purchasing all the courses and actually doing deals, I and all of you know that the cost was actually an investment and relatively cheap, when you see the return.
so, for those of you out there who want to “Barrow” or copy a course from the rest of us, NOPE!
Quit being cheap, and invest in yourself.
We did, and now you must “catch up” if you want to run with the BIG DOGS!
Happy investing to all,
Jim IL

Re: An Issue that is not very cool! - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on March 13, 1999 at 06:46:31:

Hi Dirk,

Excellent post. What we have here at CREONLINE is something special. I support this site through buying courses and participating in the chatroom and on the newsgroup.

The Vaughn’s provide alot of great money making
articles for free here through the how to articles and money making secrets. The courses and I’ve bought 5 of them are all worth the money.

Let’s keep a good thing going. When I first started investing over 20 years ago there was no resource like this.

Support this site and buy courses from it.

You mean there realy is a right and wrong! - Posted by Charles - DFW

Posted by Charles - DFW on March 12, 1999 at 22:55:25:

I can honestly say I am doing my part to keep prices down and keep this site together. I just purchased Terry’s “Paper into Gold” course.

I agree with what you are saying. The problem is they don’t recognize (actually admit) that what they are doing is wrong. Some of the guys at work copy (pirate) software. They rationalize it saying “Bill Gates has enough money”

At least one good thing has come from your post. I have seen and read articles by Terry Vaughn and J.P. Vaughn and was wondering what if any their relationship was (besides the same last name). Now I know!

Thanks,

Charles

Sure is - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on March 12, 1999 at 22:25:10:

It’s even more fun when they copy it and then ask for a refund. We had one recently - from this site - that sent a course back after copying it. There were obvious high speed copier marks on the side of the books. You better believe I nor J.P. will do any future business with them.

But let me add - I find 99.9% of the people at this site to be extremely high caliber individuals that I’m thrilled to know.

I had an employee one time that admitted to ripping off an “honor box” of candy they put in our building. I hadn’t yet learned my lesson. He should have been fired immediately - he later cost me many hundreds of thousands. You better believe I watch for the little things now.

Re: An Issue that is not very cool! - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on March 12, 1999 at 20:18:37:

I agree totally with you.

Some people say that you can act dishonest in one situation but in all other parts of your life you can be straight as an arrow. Well from what I have found that is not true.

A tenant that has had credit problems or evictions in the past has a very good chance of repeating history with me. I would be very skeptical unless they can prove to me that their situation has drastically changed (like getting married or something else).

A person with a criminal history is much more prone to commit another crime than someone who has never committed one.

And a President who has lied to his family and his country about his personal life is prone to lie about other things as well.

I once heard it said, “How many times do you have to catch your spouse in bed with another person to stop trusting them in all that they say and do?”

Just my opinions based on my own observations.

Re: An Issue that is not very cool! - Posted by Bassman

Posted by Bassman on March 12, 1999 at 20:01:13:

I agree with you wholeheartedly , Dirk.
It only takes a few bad ones to mess it up for the rest of us. I want to start my business on the level , like it should . Once a person gets started down the wrong path , it only leads to distruction. Maybe that person should rethink whether they want to continue as a business owner . Be sure , that it may seem great at first to get away with dishonesty , but it will eventually kick your butt. Ask Mr Mckorkle how it feels to be crooked.
May your deals be prosperous and plentiful.
God Bless.