Analyzing Properties - Posted by mark

Posted by phil fernandez on January 19, 2001 at 17:25:28:

Hi Mark,

Some great books pertaining to real estate investing that I recommend would be Robert Allen’s “Nothing Down”. He has a newer version titled “Nothing Down In The 90’s”.

Great books and ideas that still work today.

Also the " Mr. Landlord" newsletter
published by Jeffrey Taylor. He also has a website mrlandlord.com that you might want to look at.

Analyzing Properties - Posted by mark

Posted by mark on January 19, 2001 at 10:29:57:

does anyone know of a investment property analysis book that they would recommend?

what i’m looking for is a book that will have formulas and such regarding what numbers to look at in evaluating an investment property.

hopefully the book will contain some comprehensive examples of what numbers to crunch.

thanks to all those who help.

Re: Analyzing Properties - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on January 19, 2001 at 12:02:13:

Mark,

No need for a book or program to analysis properties to purchase. It’s not all that complicated.It’s really just simple math.

Rents

• Vacancy Factor ( expressed as a % )
  • Operating Expenses ( taxes,ins., maitenance etc )

NET OPERATING INCOME

• mortgage payments

CASH FLOW

To the cashflow you could apply a cap rate that you are looking for, say 12%, to see what you would be willing to pay for an income producing property.

Re: Analyzing Properties - Posted by mark

Posted by mark on January 19, 2001 at 17:02:52:

thanks for the input Phil.

i should have asked if anyone knows of a well rounded book of investment properties.

as you could tell, im a novice RE investor.

im just looking for a fairly in depth book covering the process from start to finish.

im also interested in figuring out irrs and tax information and such.

things along those lines.

thanks again.