Another Reason To Go Down To The Courthouse - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by Rob FL on April 09, 2000 at 20:07:59:

I posted one of my tenants onto his bad tenant report last week. After the 3rd late pay in a row, and promising me to pay by the 7th and not getting it, and then driving 20 miles out of my way to pick it up, I figured his uncaring attitude deserved a checkup. He was not a happy camper, but he now knows that this trend does have consequences (not to mention the late fees).

He mentioned when he first moved in that he was thinking about buying a house within the next year, so I definitely got his attention by reporting him.

Oh what fun we landlords have.

Another Reason To Go Down To The Courthouse - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on April 09, 2000 at 09:04:57:

Here’s away to kill two birds with one stone. I go down to my local courthouse to look for evictions and then contact the landlords in search for a landlord who might be motivated to sell his property to me. Right out of Joe Kaiser’s tired landlord Lease/Option course.

While I’m down to the court house doing this, I capture every tenant that is being evicted. I am building a data base of deadbeat tenants that I can reference in the future as another screening tool when renting my rentals.

Re: Another Reason To Go Down To The Courthouse - Posted by Zee

Posted by Zee on April 12, 2000 at 04:44:15:

This sounds a bit time consuming…Is it?

Exactly what public record(s) do you look up for this information? Sounds like you get both the landlord and tenant names from the same record, right?

a precautionary point - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on April 10, 2000 at 11:58:56:

A good idea. Just dont get the idea that you can sell this list or let anyone else use it. I once asked a tennat screening company if they had such a list . They explained that such a list was illegal (you might be able to argue that public records can be published without recourse, but I wouldnt want to have defend myself in court over the matter), “black listing” is the term. here is a link Cornerstone Electronic Services

Genius… (and text) - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on April 10, 2000 at 11:10:53:

Here is one specific reason why this is genius. I own a property and the entire block had a problem with one set of drug dealers. They would get evicted from one building and just move down the street and rent from another building/owner. Your technique would prevent this.

Thanks for sharing,

Mark

Does unpaid rent appear on a credit report? - Posted by Robert M. Campbell

Posted by Robert M. Campbell on April 10, 2000 at 09:50:14:

When a tenant is evicted for non-payment of rent, is that reported to the credit bureaus . . . and show up on a credit report?

Robert M. Campbell

Are You Buying As Keepers? - Posted by Jack-NY

Posted by Jack-NY on April 09, 2000 at 16:15:47:

Phil are you buying these type of properties for your own inventory or to resell/flip?
You also have a great idea.

Jack

Re: Another Reason To Go Down To The Courthouse - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on April 09, 2000 at 15:18:15:

Hi Phil-

Good thinking. Mrlandlord.com has a listing service you may want to report to that allows landlords to report bad tenants as well as good ones so that future landlords have this as an additional screening tool.

-Chris

Re: Another Reason To Go Down To The Courthouse - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on April 12, 2000 at 06:20:01:

Zee,

Actually it’s not time consuming at all. I can quickly go through a single file in about two minutes capturing the names of both the landlord and tenant, property address, monthly rent, how much the tenant owes and usually the address of the landlord.

Then its on to the next file. I might look at ten files in about twenty minutes, then I’m out of there.

The actual files I am looking for are called ejectments. These ejectment files are at the superior court.

Re: a precautionary point - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on April 10, 2000 at 12:44:37:

Now JD who’s talking about selling this list to anyone. I go down to the courthouse and do the research myself. No one gets to see this list nor do I sell this list.

You misread my post.

Yes, two “easy” ways… - Posted by David

Posted by David on April 12, 2000 at 15:18:06:

Here, in Pa. after winning an eviction you MAY file the judgement at the prothonotary’s office at the county courthouse. The credit bureau will pick up this from the public records. Its a good idea to use a person’s full given legal name including middle initial to avoid confusion with somebody else.
The second way is as a member of the credit bureau, which I would recommend to anyone serious about being a landlord/lady, you can call up or write to the credit bureau and file information. Obviously this must be accurate, true and factual information.
hth
David

Re: Does unpaid rent appear on a credit report? - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on April 12, 2000 at 11:45:53:

i have a friend in pa who has had problems with tenants. He says he first takes them to court, and when he wins, he then files what he calls “proponderance” (sp)form which places the default or amount owned on the tenants credit report. Anyone else???

chris

Re: Does unpaid rent appear on a credit report? - Posted by Gary (Texas)

Posted by Gary (Texas) on April 10, 2000 at 20:31:29:

Here in Lubbock I use a system called Tenant Tracker. The only way it will show up then is a member evicted them and reported it. It also does criminal reports to.

Re: Does unpaid rent appear on a credit report? - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on April 10, 2000 at 12:47:15:

Robert,

I have never seen an eviction on someone’s credit report. Can you put it on a credit report. I dunno. Anyone else?

Re: Are You Buying As Keepers? - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on April 09, 2000 at 16:37:23:

Hi Jack,

Some I keep as rentals and others I do flip. I’m more into keeping them as rentals. I don’t like to pay Capital gains tax. Hope to die with the properties so uncle sam doesn’t get his cut.

I understand that the exemption on estate taxes will be $1,000,000 by 2006 so if I can only hold on till then.

Re: Another Reason To Go Down To The Courthouse - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on April 09, 2000 at 16:38:58:

You’re right Chris, Mr. Landlord does have that service. Thanks for the additional heads up.