Answer me this? - Posted by Senator

Posted by Bob Taylor on December 17, 1999 at 15:56:24:

Senator:

Moody. About 30 miles east of the Steel city.

Bob

Answer me this? - Posted by Senator

Posted by Senator on December 16, 1999 at 21:49:26:

I bought my first property 8 months ago using one of Sheets’ no-money-down tecniques. (very exciting experience, by the way).

My questions are this: My old renters are moving out. What are some ideas to get the place rented out quickly again? Should I get all the utilities put back in my name? Do any of you recommend going through a property management company?

Re: Answer me this? - Posted by Mike (Stl)

Posted by Mike (Stl) on December 17, 1999 at 03:00:58:

I would recommend managing your own properties until you have more than you can handle. At some point in time, property management makes sense. I really enjoyed last year when i was in Lake Tahoe skiing and during the evening i called back home to check in. I found out that our property manager had filled two of our vacancies. I told them, Great JOB, send me a check, i am going skiing.

I think it is a good idea to manage some so that you have an idea of what the property managers are going through. Personally, I manage about 10% of my property. This 10% just happens to be Single Families with good long term tenants. Late fees, following all the goofy rules, showing properties, collecting rents … not worth my time.

Just my opinion and I am well aware, that most investors dont like property managers.

keep growing,
mike

Re: Answer me this? - Posted by Bob Taylor

Posted by Bob Taylor on December 16, 1999 at 22:12:33:

When one of renters moves out, as quickly as I find out they are moving, I place an ad in the Sunday paper to run for 4 sundays. I ususally have them rented after 2 weeks.
I use leases, so, I usually know when they are moving. When the lease is 30 days to 45 days from expiration, I send a new one to the tenant with the new rent and lease dates (One year terms) for their approval. If they sign, they are good for another year. If they don’t sign, I immediately start the ad. Usually works.

Good luck.
Bob Taylor…Alabama

Re: Answer me this? - Posted by danny

Posted by danny on December 20, 1999 at 15:00:49:

What do property managers charge in your area?

Re: Answer me this? - Posted by Senator

Posted by Senator on December 16, 1999 at 22:27:07:

Mr. Taylor,
Thanks for your comments…what part of Alabama are you from? I’m in Montgomery (AUM student)