Any advice for this kind of situation?..... - Posted by E

Posted by Irwin on March 23, 1999 at 18:29:56:

This is basically correct. You file a quiet title suit after a tax sale to obtain a Court judgment that the sale was done correctly, according to law, and that it passed clear title to the tax sale purchaser. Title companies generally won’t insure the title of a tax sale buyer without one.

Any advice for this kind of situation?.. - Posted by E

Posted by E on March 22, 1999 at 08:11:29:

Goodmorning Investors

I’m located in chicago and I’m representing an out of state owner on a property in Gary,IN. This is only 30min or less from me. Here’s the Story The property sold for a tax lien at auction, the owner sold the deed to the out of state investor( the one i’m working for). He’s never seen the property.
When I went to Gary to see the place it was a great chance for a quick flip. Although,I find out later someone has been working on the house. They installed a steel security door and did some roof work. The owner has no Ideal whose doing the work.
We have now found out that the tax lien buyers period of redemption for request of deed has expired. I have a copy of the deed myself. I have found a potential buyer who lives in that area. He informed me yesterday that someone has torn down my for sale sign and request for whomever is working on this house to please call me, due to the fact we hold ownership. I’m stuck now, How do I get this problem fixed. Should I get the sheriff?, the Locksmith?, or request an attorney through the out of state owner? Will I need limited power of attorney to handle this?, or walk away from this situation.

Any advice, comments, will be appericated
Thanks
E

Re: advice for this situation?.. - Posted by Irwin

Posted by Irwin on March 22, 1999 at 21:14:51:

It’s apparent that someone doesn’t think much of your client’s title, deed or whatever he has. In Indiana, the owner has one year from the date of the tax sale to redeem. If he doesn’t redeem in 1 year, the tax sale buyer can apply for issuance of a deed. Then he will have to quiet title against the former owner, lienholders, etc… If the tax sale buyer doesn’t apply for his deed within 2 years(I think it’s 2) then he can lose his right to the deed.
You can contact the Lake County Auditor’s office in Merrillville. They conduct tax sales and can tell you about the various dates, redemption rights, etc…Beyond that, since someone is obviously challenging your client’s title, he’s going to need a good real estate lawyer in Lake County to protect his interest. Tax sales here are governed by a Statute that gets amended every year and which few people, including the lawyers who practice in that area, fully understand. Contact me for a reference, if you don’t know anyone there.

Re: advice for this situation?.. - Posted by Gary

Posted by Gary on March 23, 1999 at 08:11:58:

Can you explain ‘quiet title’ in more detail?

Quiet title - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on March 23, 1999 at 10:35:28:

A quiet title action is a lawsuit to have the judge decide according to the law who has what interest in the title.