any way around an agent? - Posted by Gib Hanley

Posted by joe on December 22, 2000 at 13:33:30:

As long as the agent isnot the precuring cause of the sale,I would let the listing expire and then buy the home.I f you contacted the agent and he has your name ,If you buy the home within 90 days of the sale, the seller may still have to pay a commission, but most agents willnot pursue this over small amounts of money.

any way around an agent? - Posted by Gib Hanley

Posted by Gib Hanley on December 21, 2000 at 16:34:03:

I have found a mobile home and lot in my area with a motivated seller. The problem is he has it listed with a real estate company. I talked to the owner and he is very disasitisfied with them, but they have the listing until March. Any way to get them out of the deal?

Re: any way around an agent? - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on December 22, 2000 at 05:31:28:

In cases such as this, I simply hand them my card and let them know that I do pay all cash for used mobile homes.

Let the problem remain that of the seller. They will either call you when the contract with the agent expires, or find a way out of the contract. I would not worry about this. It will only help to strengthen your negotiating position by increasing his level of motivation. In the meantime, keep looking for other deals.

You will find that quite often these deals take time to age properly. You have laid great ground work a future deal.

Tony-VA

Re: any way around an agent? - Posted by george

Posted by george on December 22, 2000 at 02:32:39:

If he has an exclusive right to sell agreement with the agent the seller can ask the agent to cancel the agreement for valid reasons, if the agent won’t agree then speak to his broker if he has one, any cancellation would have to be approved by the agent’s broker, then you are home free, if its only a right to sell then the seller may not be obligated to the agent if he procures his own buyer. Check out the agreement. A lot of agents take listings and then do nothing to market them, all they do is lockup the seller for a period of time.

Re: any way around an agent? - Posted by Gib

Posted by Gib on December 22, 2000 at 11:17:55:

The owner got locked into a 1 year listing, don’t know why he agreed to that, but he did. The RE company has done very little to try and sell it, list price is 25k which is actually what it is worth. With out the RE agent involved, I can get the owner to take 17K for it. It would be hard to flip because of the problems financing older mobile homes, but would produce $160 a month positive cash flow as a rental. Once paid off I’d have a profit of 22k on the lot alone. I don’t really want to be a landlord, but I also have another mobile and lot that will be paid off in 2 months that will probably end up as a rental. At least it’s a start :slight_smile: