Anybody see the new homeless on - Posted by Dan-Fl

Posted by Lyal on July 07, 2003 at 19:02:55:

maybe even pretentious but not self assured enough to be supercilious…

Anybody see the new homeless on - Posted by Dan-Fl

Posted by Dan-Fl on July 05, 2003 at 08:02:56:

primetime live lastnight.It was about four people who have lost there job and home.

The first guy would not change his old way of work and was 18 months behind on his $3500 a month house.If it was me,I would down size,get a smaller house and cut out a lot of the fat.I think him and his wife were trying to keep up with the rich look.

The next guy had his family living in a motor home in a church parking lot,because on his 35k salary he could not find housing in the market where he lived and worked ( average two bedroom house is 450K ) Why bang your head over and over again on the same wall,your not a tree,pick up and move to a cheaper area.

The other two people were trying to get on gov housing after they lost there apt or jobs.

It was said on the program that we are now having the highest F/C since the great depression.

I love stories like that - Posted by Potash

Posted by Potash on July 06, 2003 at 21:23:23:

Some people develop self images that are way out of wack with reality. At one point in their lives they managed to be in the right place at the right time and scored a job that payed them way more than they were worth. Or maybe they got a sweet job because of a relative. A slight economic slowdown and the egomanics are collecting unemployment. But their inflated egos wouldn’t let them modify their standard of living until they have lost everthing. I see it all the time in the foreclosure business. I love my work!!
I want to keep an eye out for the rerun, what network is primetime live on?

What we encountered - Posted by Kristy-AZ

Posted by Kristy-AZ on July 06, 2003 at 12:36:35:

We had tenants, the husband is supposed to be an engineer. He lost his job, but didn’t tell us, only said he was on vacation.

When rent was due the following month, he called us on the DUE DATE and said, “I have some good news and some bad news. First, I lost my job and can not pay the rent this month, the good news is I start a new job next month, so I won’t make this months payment, but will start making payments again next month.” WRONG!

He and my husband went rounds verbally. Then my husband said, “Why don’t you just talk a minimum wage job to get you by till you find the job you’re looking for?” The tenants response…“I won’t demean myself to take a lower paying job!”

My husband said “OH, so is it less demeaning to be Homeless?”

Needless to say, they came up with a partial payment, and made up the missed payment and have been on time ever since.

I don’t understand people. Years ago, when I lost my job and started to fall behind, I got 2 jobs, worked day and night, got my bills paid and even saved a few bucks for a rainy day. PLUS, those were the days when I was partying pretty heavy (early 20’s) with out a care in the world.
Kristy-AZ

Re: Anybody see the new homeless on - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on July 05, 2003 at 21:01:55:

My heart is bleeding for these people. BooHoo, they can’t afford a 450K house or a $3500 house payment. Well that’s over 3 times what I pay, and somehow I can afford to support my wife and 2 kids and pay my bills on time, even in a bad economy.

I say let them sleep in their car and eat some Spam sandwiches for a few months. It might bring them back to the reality that the rest of us live every day.

Re: Anybody see the new homeless on - Posted by Fred

Posted by Fred on July 05, 2003 at 10:59:04:

Dan,
The homeless have always been among us unfortunately. But have you ever noticed how the liberally biased media always report on these stories whenever the Republicans are in power. I know how hard it can be for someone who has had a career taken away from them by a bad economy, downsizing, etc. I have been there several times in my life. The key is to realize that life goes on and you can wallow in self pity or do something positive to change your situation - relocate, retrain, take any job to put food on the table, etc. Some of the folks on that show need a serious attitude adjustment and have to realize no one owes them anything and sometimes you have to bite the bullet and make hard choices when life throws you a curveball. That may be harsh but its reality today.

Re: I love stories like that - Posted by Tom-FL

Posted by Tom-FL on July 07, 2003 at 07:24:14:

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, you won’t be finding any reruns. They don’t call it Primetime Live for nothing. Just as there are no reruns of 60 minutes. They are topical shows about current events. I didn’t see it either, so I’ll be heading over to the web site and trying to read the story if it’s available. Cheerio :slight_smile:

Re: Anybody see the new homeless on - Posted by Phillip

Posted by Phillip on July 05, 2003 at 18:51:00:

The owner of the vitamin store told me she saw on the news that high school kids can’t even find jobs during the summer. Of course the media didn’t mention the kids won’t work for less than $10. an hour. Very few even work when they do find a job. My neice graduated a few years ago believing her parents(D) were supposed to support their children until they get married. When I say support I mean NEW car (can’t be seen in a hoopty), insurance, extasy drugs, gas, go out to eat money, etc. Right now she is living off of her friends and has no job. It’s to hard to get up after partying all night. $8. an hour isn’t worth getting up for any way, especially when you are underpaid and their is nothing to do at work, except talk on the phone. Yeah…I know she is a lazy idiot.

Re: Anybody see the new homeless on - Posted by Dan-Fl

Posted by Dan-Fl on July 05, 2003 at 11:04:43:

I agree 100%

Re: I love stories like that - Posted by Jeanne

Posted by Jeanne on July 07, 2003 at 12:33:04:

They often revisit previous segments, but the hosts are live.

Re: I love stories like that - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on July 07, 2003 at 10:47:00:

Tom–(FL)-------------

I guess you don’t watch 60 minutes, because they do do repeats of former shows. They usually mix together segments from several different previous shows and they frequently have a sentence or a few sentences updating the stories.

Good InvestingRon Starr*

Re: I love stories like that - Posted by Potash

Posted by Potash on July 07, 2003 at 09:16:37:

Unless they have changed the policy very recently, “Episodes” of 60 minutes are frequently rerun. And, though I have never seen Primetime Live, I highly doubt that the topical segments on Primetime Live are actually ‘Live’ as your second sentence implies.
p.s.: I find people that say cheerio to be supercilious.

true experience with my teen age daughter - Posted by HTG

Posted by HTG on July 08, 2003 at 08:13:47:

My daughter began working at age 16 as a server in a pizza place. After several months, good old dad co-signs a car for her. Not new, not even close! but dependable and low payments that she could make. After a year doing pizza she quit. Laid around and “couldn’t find a job”. I told her one day " you will go out tomorrow morning and hit every place that might hire a 17 y/o and you will not be allowed to come home until you find a job" She started out at 9AM, and called me at 2:30pm thrilled that on her 13th stop, she was given a job on the spot. Yes it was fast food but she is still there, still making her own car and insurance payments. Sometimes it only takes a little motivation.

Re: Anybody see the new homeless on - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on July 06, 2003 at 12:30:11:

When a parent brings a child into our not so nice world, you bring that child into the world without the child’s prior consent, so the least you can give that child is a rose garden.

However if a parent does his parental duty and educates his child from age 9-15, employing the benefits of our Free enterprise, and capitalistic system, by age 15-18 the child will be sophistacated, self-sufficient, and ready to wheel and deal in the business world,as a financially independent citizen.