Anyone have Experience with a "Mound Septic System" ? - Posted by Michael Morrongiello

Posted by Mark-NC on March 24, 2000 at 15:15:59:

Michael,
Yes, I have had experiance with them. In fact I built a home back in 1989 that had to have one. It was my own residence.

I don’t know if they have changed much and I am not sure if the specs are the same in all states. But the one I had to put in was a Joke. Funny thing is, the county told us that this is what we would have to put in by their codes in order to have septic system. But the catch was they wouldn’t Garuantee the system to work. Well quess what? It didn’t!

If it’s anything like the one I had, it takes a lot of room to put one in. It went to the septic tank then a specially designed pit with gravel and layers of pipe that leached into a holding tank with a clorine tablet that was supposed to clean the water Then from there it went to a leach area where the drain pipes were laid on undisturbed soil then coverd with a mound of dirt that theoreticly, the water was supposed to evaporate from that mound. Well mine never evaporated it was allways a big wet hump in the yard. I was really proud of it the grass was allways green.

I am sure other people have had better experiances but that was mine.

Good luck.
Mark

Anyone have Experience with a “Mound Septic System” ? - Posted by Michael Morrongiello

Posted by Michael Morrongiello on March 24, 2000 at 14:43:55:

I have a “flipper” home under contract that needs a TON of work, however the potential upside is VERY strong upon resale.

In addition to the home needing a new well drilled it will also need to have its 40 year old wood box & leech field septic system either repaired or replaced. We are leaning away from simply repairing the existing system since the leech lines may not be adequate. Upgrading the system allow us to possible increase the # of bedroom units that would be allowed on the property as well.

From the research we have done it appears that an “engineered mound septic system” will run $20,000 -$25,000 !! - it involves excavation, permits, soil samples, and enviormental study, etc.

If someone has had experience in this type of septic system and can explain the way it operates, some of the potential pitfalls and where can we shave some costs it would be helpful

Michael Morrongiello

Re: Anyone have Experience with a “Mound Septic System” ? - Posted by Mark-NC

Posted by Mark-NC on March 24, 2000 at 15:17:33:

Michael,
Yes, I have had experiance with them. In fact I built a home back in 1989 that had to have one. It was my own residence.

I don’t know if they have changed much and I am not sure if the specs are the same in all states. But the one I had to put in was a Joke. Funny thing is, the county told us that this is what we would have to put in by their codes in order to have septic system. But the catch was they wouldn’t Garuantee the system to work. Well quess what? It didn’t!

If it’s anything like the one I had, it takes a lot of room to put one in. It went to the septic tank then a specially designed pit with gravel and layers of pipe that leached into a holding tank with a clorine tablet that was supposed to clean the water Then from there it went to a leach area where the drain pipes were laid on undisturbed soil then coverd with a mound of dirt that theoreticly, the water was supposed to evaporate from that mound. Well mine never evaporated it was allways a big wet hump in the yard. I was really proud of it the grass was allways green.

I am sure other people have had better experiances but that was mine.

Good luck.
Mark