anyone here have a construction co??? - Posted by Izzy (NY)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on July 26, 2003 at 11:46:06:

I forwarded your message to Gina. BTW, if you want to enjoy the game Tuesday night ($5 bucks), we can visit for a while and you can see Gina get her award. We have all the family showing up from around 2 counties. :slight_smile:

And of course, I don’t think we have met your wife yet?

anyone here have a construction co??? - Posted by Izzy (NY)

Posted by Izzy (NY) on July 25, 2003 at 18:05:11:

I have buildings in NY, and would like to get a MCI increase (major capital improvements), which is basically the only way to raise a tenant over the Regulated rent.

I’d like to open a construction corporation to do the work for me, does anyone know if i need to be 'licensed", and if so, how to become a 'licensed contractor"??

If not, is there anything i do need to do?? get insurance (workers comp for the handyman??)

Re: anyone here have a construction co??? - Posted by Jason_Ga

Posted by Jason_Ga on July 25, 2003 at 22:40:34:

It is state specific.Here in Ga. , you do not have to be licensed. However, in florida you do need a license…

I sleep with my contractor… :slight_smile: - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on July 25, 2003 at 21:20:45:

It may also be a state specific requirement for what is needed to be a licensed contractor. Here, in WA, you can pay the fee and have a bond, and poof, you are a general contractor. No test needed, no certification, no skills have to be demonstrated. My wife’s friend got her license without knowing how to do anything, my neighbor got his license and doesn’t use it.

So check the state to see what the requirements are.

My wife has been in a 2 year carpenter’s course; finished her 1st year yesterday, and will be all set to tackle any project that comes her way. She will get her license at that point, but more importantly; will have the skill sets to actually perform the duties. She just got notified last night that she is being awarded a scholarship from the local Master Builder’s Association. They will be presenting the scholarship to her on Tuesday night in front of home plate at the local minor league baseball game. I am very proud of my little woman.

One thing you may want to consider is go ahead and start the contracting business, then hire competent people in the roles to do the work. You may not have to be licensed to ‘own’ a construction company, but your workers may have to be licensed by your state and maybe even have a ‘general’ on site. Locally, there was something going around that insurance companies were looking into making it mandatory for a ‘general’ to be on site for construction jobs. Don’t know the end result.

Re: anyone here have a construction co??? - Posted by Arthur

Posted by Arthur on July 25, 2003 at 20:21:33:

I can only tell you what i was told by someone else, but according to what i was told (which makes sense to me), is that you need to be qualified to do so, i.e. pass certain industry tests. This is not an easy task. This was for AZ btw, but i am sure it would be the same for the whole country.

Kudos to Gina! - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on July 26, 2003 at 11:01:17:

Congratulations, Gina, on achieving this milestone. I met you and Tim right when you had started school, and though infrequently, I have seen you enough over this last year+ and spoken with you to somewhat track your progress. I’m sure it’s a great feeling to look at what you know and can do now, and especially with the renewed vigor that a scholarship will bring, what is in you future!

And I’m proud to soon put you on my rehab buyer’s list!

Congratulations to you.

Tim, please forward appropriately. You’re a good guy too. :wink:

Re: anyone here have a construction co??? - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on July 30, 2003 at 13:43:50:

I got a contractor’s license in Chicago in the early 1980’s because I thought I needed it to get a discount from the supply houses. There was no cost to apply. The guy at the office told me not to bother because most general contractors were unlicensed. The subs sign-off and major jobs are bonded.

Although I ignored his advice and got a number, he was 100% correct. I don’t think anyone ever required the number, not ever. I know little about construction trades and I knew much, much less then. It wasn?t completely useless. I couple of years ago I tried to use the repair angle as a back-door approach to meet prospective sellers. I proudly boasted of being in the construction and repair business for over 20 years.

Re: anyone here have a construction co??? - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on July 25, 2003 at 23:53:39:

Not correct; in DC you can get a home improvement contractor’s license without showing ANY proof that you know ANYTHING about home improvements. If you have proof of insurance and a $5,000 surety bond, and can fill out a form, bingo, you’re in business!

NT