Anyone marketing with their own web-site? - Posted by RS

Posted by Matthew Chan on May 11, 1999 at 16:27:31:

I don’t think I am allowed to post it publicly because it might be construed as advertisement. As such, I sent you a direct reply by email.

Anyone marketing with their own web-site? - Posted by RS

Posted by RS on May 11, 1999 at 24:23:45:

Just wondering if anyone is attracting sellers/buyers with the aid of a web site.I’d be very interested in some general observations regarding effectiveness from anyone who’s tried this.Thanks in advance!
RS

Re: Anyone marketing with their own web-site? - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on May 11, 1999 at 11:47:48:

The Internet can only grow in popularity. Also, the web is ripe for the “pretty houses” audience that Legrand talks about. I intend to include the web address in all my marketing materials. My web site has already generated a couple of calls without me advertising it. :slight_smile: I haven’t advertised it mainly because it isn’t quite done yet although it is functional.

Re: Anyone marketing with their own web-site? - Posted by Jara in LA

Posted by Jara in LA on May 11, 1999 at 10:12:22:

We set up a web site just after the convention in Dallas. So far we are only advertising one rental property. It’s a student rental in a college town. We registered the web site with all the search engines, thinking that college students would be a likely group to look for a place online. So far, we’ve only attracted one person to email us for more info. But, we think that if we were to expand the website and advertise it more, we would get better response. If you want to look, it is www.prettyhouses.com. Nothing fancy yet, but a start.

Re: Anyone marketing with their own web-site? - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on May 11, 1999 at 01:55:07:

I’ve definately got plans to build a web page, and have checked into it enough to know how to do it. Now days programs like MS Front Page make it extremely simple…pretty much drag and drop. And with the advent of the digital camera, updating it with current properties for sale is a snap. It’s nothing I would depend on for the majority of my business, but I think having a presence on the web will help boost sales to a fairly significant degree. I’m guessing about a 10 to 20 percent increase in activity, but this is not based on anything but my gut feel for how the web is starting to be used. Of course, we must advertise the page address to have maximum effect. I envision my web address on my business cards, newspaper ads, mailers, etc. But, this is a longer term goal for me…within a year or two.

I think one of the most attractive things about it is how cheap it is, with a presence all over the world. I imagine sending a few hundred flyers to out of state owners, and directing them to sit down at their computers and view my page wherever they are. I’ve also thought it would be best to have a site address for buying versus selling. I rarely like to let my buyers or sellers know much about what I do on the other side of the deal.

I think there’s a “Success Story” that mentions that it’s a must…in the author’s opinion. Who knows…it’s cheap so I can’t see a down-side, especially if you write and maintain it yourself.

I’m interested in feedback as well.

Stacy

What’s the address? (nt) - Posted by Jim Kennedy

Posted by Jim Kennedy on May 11, 1999 at 12:34:46:

Re: Anyone marketing with their own web-site? - Posted by Bobbie

Posted by Bobbie on May 11, 1999 at 06:27:05:

There will be several keys to success, and you’ll be looking at a good/better/best situation. (I am not yet doing this–still too new–but my “expertise” is advertising/direct marketing),

Getting a site up and running is easy. Administration and updating is time intensive, but doable. Promotion and marketing will be very critical. If you build it they will only come if they know about it and its top of mind.
Advertising on your cards and fliers is a great start. Down the road you might want to consider links and reciprocal agreements, maybe with one of the many FSBO sites springing up, Home Depot online/rehabber sites, family online sites etc. Maybe even see who advertises in the local paper, negociate a link with them. And there are always banners. According to research, banners are less and less responsive. But I think that targeting and location are everything, and they’re working for someone.
Another possibility is to use your site to generate your database, gather info on propects, ask visitors to recommend friends, either as prospective buyers, sellers or investors.
The possibilities are endless, exciting, and real time. The recipe for success is being written as we go along.