asbestos siding - Posted by keith

Posted by PC42 on June 05, 2007 at 07:05:49:

There’s definitely a stigma attached to the word, so some people are afraid of it. But that alone wouldn’t be enough to change it out. Like anything, don’t change it out unless it really needs it.

Asbestos abatement is one of the biggest legal shakedowns going. People worked in factories and breathed in asbestos dust for 20, 30 or 40 years and got cancer. The government overeacted and set up ridiculous guidelines for dealing with asbestos in homes and companies can now gouge homeowners to put on their little white space suits and remove it. Well, I’ve removed it myself with nothing but a ventilator and guess what, no cancer! You have to do it on the down low, but it’s well worth it. I took it out to a friend’s farm and buried it, end of asbestos problem.

asbestos siding - Posted by keith

Posted by keith on June 04, 2007 at 21:34:48:

what is the general rule about asbestos siding? I have deals that are good, but not sure about the siding issue. Is it ok if you don’t do anything except paint, or do you cover it?
Keith

Re: asbestos siding - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on June 05, 2007 at 13:10:19:

I’ve bought several houses with asbestos siding, never been an issue. If its in bad shame, I just put new vinyl siding over it.

The worst thing you can do with Asbestos is muck with it. Leave it alone.

Re: asbestos siding - Posted by GS

Posted by GS on June 05, 2007 at 12:52:52:

The only time it becomes an issue is if the buyer is going FHA. From
what I have heard from others is, the FHA inspector may flag broken
tiles. Meaning that you must replace them.

Same goes for Section 8.

If someone is that concerned and the deal is that good, reside it then
sell it.

Re: asbestos siding - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on June 05, 2007 at 10:10:50:

I was told that I, the homeowner, can remove my asbestos siding without going through the hoops but if I contracted it out then the contract company would have to abide by the regulations.

Not sure if thats the case all over but it seems to be it here.

Tim - VA

Re: asbestos siding - Posted by dannj

Posted by dannj on June 05, 2007 at 04:30:24:

It’s OK to leave it, paint over it, or side over it. Only when you remove and dispose of it do you have to follow hazmat regulations.

Re: asbestos siding - Posted by keith

Posted by keith on June 05, 2007 at 05:27:22:

so, it doesn’t seem to affect the sale, pepole are not afraid of it? I would assume the buyer, if any questions exist from them could be settled by saying simply don’t mess with it.

Keith