BAD TENANT - Posted by GREEKVESTOR

Posted by Mike (KCMO) on January 15, 1999 at 18:02:23:

Several others have warned me about that before. I have recently added to my contracts that if the entire rent is not paid by the 15th of the month the lease is “materially and incurably breached and terminated.” Thank goodness I’ve never had to test it, but it may be a good thing to consider.

Mike

BAD TENANT - Posted by GREEKVESTOR

Posted by GREEKVESTOR on January 14, 1999 at 19:16:49:

I have a 2FAM investment property, and the Tenant did not pay Dec 98 and Jan 99 rent, a total of $2500.
What’s the quickest and most efficient way to throw him out?
What’s the best way to collect?

Re: BAD TENANT - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on January 16, 1999 at 01:36:57:

Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. In most states eviction laws say there must be some type of demand if payment is late. After some number of days(3 in Texas) you can proceed. Here we have to post a notice to vacate and wait another 3 days before filing in a JP court to regain possession. If you have not done it before seek competent advice.

You can always pay them to leave and it some cases it is cheaper. Collection is a whole book. First you have to get the judgement against them(usually same as eviction proceeding) then record it in the county records.

The biggest failing of most landlords is not taking prompt action when rent is late.

Re: BAD TENANT - Posted by Reif

Posted by Reif on January 15, 1999 at 01:32:23:

Don’t forget to decline any rent that your tenant might offer you at this point (unless he’s handing you cash from the window of his u-haul). If you accept it, he gets to stay another month.

Reif

Re: BAD TENANT - Posted by PBoone

Posted by PBoone on January 14, 1999 at 20:57:27:

Valuable yet terrible lesson going on here, Find out what the eviction process is in your state then pursue immediately. After the eviction in our state we have 1 year to file small claims for back payemnts. The when judgement is awarded we have 10 years to retrieve
Pat

Re: BAD TENANT - Posted by alex

Posted by alex on January 16, 1999 at 11:30:49:

True, I have a tenant now that is on their last leg. I did have an earlier problem but tenant came across. The hardest thing at that time was he just came out of heart surgery. But they went to his employer and got the money. Now they are in the rear of one month. So its time to move. Not looking forward to it but needs to be done.

Alex