Bandit signs *part 2* - Posted by vladimir (IL)

Posted by Jim FL on July 29, 2001 at 15:21:38:

Tim,
I’m not sick at all, just sneaky…:slight_smile:
Anyway, I’m not sure of you can get voicemail on them or not, but you should be able to call forward the calls to another line which does?
I know that Cingular has those types of “pre-paid” services, and they have voicemail on their regular billed phones, so they may be able to do it.

Take care,
Jim FL

P.S. Florida is GREAT, I’m on my way to jump in my pool now, just got back from placing more signs out there.

Bandit signs part 2 - Posted by vladimir (IL)

Posted by vladimir (IL) on July 27, 2001 at 07:04:48:

I have my cellular phone listed on my sign. I thik that I made it too easy for the officers, by giving them my full name, etc. If I were to ignore their message, what would they have to do to find whom does my cell phone belong to? Would they need a court order and how are court orders normally obtained?

Thanks to all in advance.

Vladimir (IL)

ps-It amazes me that tennants can trash the house and leave loosing only a security deposit, while posting a few bandit signs results in stiff fines, ranging from $50-500.

Re: Bandit signs part 2 - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on July 27, 2001 at 20:12:36:

Valdimir,
All an officer needs to do in order to obtain the information your service provider has regarding your cell phone account is talk to a judge or assistant states attny and explain that they have an “ongoing investigation”.
The investigator is then issued a subpeona to pull any and all records the service provider has on record for that number.
Since you are in Chicagoland, there is an alternative.
You could go out and buy one of those “pre-paid” phones, and buy some minutes for it.
There will be a number issued to you when you buy the first little plastic card to activate the phone.
After this, BEFORE your minutes run out, buy more, and the number remains the same.
IF you fail to get more minutes programmed into the phone BEFORE the inital set run out, a new number for the phone is issued, so you’ll need a phone that allows you to keep track of your air time.

HTH,
Jim FL

It’s easy to get your information. - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on July 27, 2001 at 09:38:17:

It’s very simple for law enforcement to get whatever information your service provider has about you. All they do is get a subpoena. When I worked in the telecommunications industry, we used to get them periodically. First, we’d get a phone call from the investigating officer who would then fax over a copy of the subpoena requesting that we fax back whatever information we had regarding our customer. The officers wouldn’t divulge much about their investigation, but it quickly became apparent that the majority of the cases involved suspicion of drug dealing.

Of course we would cooperate fully but the only data we could give the investigator was whatever we had on file. If our customer had given us any bogus information we would have simply passed that on to the investigator.

I don’t know how easy or difficult it is for the investigator to get the subpoena, nor would I care to speculate as to how aggressively law enforcement (code enforcement) might pursue the perpetrators of such a heinous crime as placing unauthorized signs.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Re: Bandit signs part 2 - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on July 29, 2001 at 12:28:10:

Jim,

Sick minds must think alike. :slight_smile: I thought about using the pre-paid phone too! Question though, do these phones come with voicemail? The reason I ask is what do you do if you can not get to the phone?

Hope you are enjoying Florida!

Tim