Best Books/Courses to Start With - Posted by Bill

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on April 19, 1999 at 16:05:00:

There are many “niches” to real estate (LO, rehab, multis, mobiles, paper etc). I would read the posts on here to get a general idea of what each one is about and then pick a course that deals with that. If the topic excites then you are a lot more likely to use the info.

Mark

Best Books/Courses to Start With - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on April 19, 1999 at 15:33:41:

I’ve decided to join the “conspiracy” and become a REI.
Since I can’t affort all the excellent books and courses available from this site. Would you please tell me which books or courses would be the most valuable for a beginner?
Thanks!!

Re: Best Books/Courses to Start With - Posted by G. LUCADAMO

Posted by G. LUCADAMO on April 20, 1999 at 22:02:19:

Invest in Debt by Jimmy Napier and anything else by him

“The #1 RE Investment no one talks about” by Sanford Hornwood

Some suggestions - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on April 20, 1999 at 15:57:49:

Bill,

These are some real good, basic texts on rei:

1. Investing in Real Estate, 2nd Ed. by Mclean and Elread, about $15, (my favorite) covers most of the basic information about the business, but doesn’t give you a system.

2. Creating Wealth by Robert Allen ($15).

3. Keep your hard earned money by Fellman ($15; A MUST!!!)

4. Buy it, fix it, sell it, profit! by Kevin Myers ($15). Rehabbing, and good overview for so little money.

5. Read all the articles and posts on this and related sites. You may want to spend some time and learn the basics and get a broad overview. Then, specialize! I have bought many of the courses here, and have not been disappointed by one.

Happy reading!

HR

Re: Best Books/Courses to Start With - Posted by Zeus

Posted by Zeus on April 20, 1999 at 24:53:18:

I agree with Mark. I too am a beginner in this new life and way of thinking, and I found this site about a week ago! It helps greatly!!! I found it while researching info on Carlton Sheets. Found out on this board that he is probably not the best, but hey, every bit of info I get helps in one way or another. And right now I could afford the $180 to get it.

Anyway keep reading this board and it won’t take long to figure out who the “Wise Ones” are! There are numerous how-to’s and information articles in the other sections of this site. Join the “Insiders Club” now while it is free. Get the books that are recommended here and browse thru others at a good book store or web site. Maybe even the library will have some books on REI, probably old but good techniques never die.

The books I’ve decided to get first , because of reading this board are : Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki / Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins / Fast Cash With Quick Turn Real Estate by Ron LeGrand. And whatever I come across in my searching that might help me.

I learned a new term today also that might help you also. It’s called “analysis paralysis”. Don’t get it by overwhelming yourself with info. Always be looking for a good deal because they really are all around, you just need to be ready to act on them. Go to the “How To” section right now and read “Learn How To Generate Cash First” by Scott Britton along with all of the other articles that are there. Remember that this is a business of ideas and action. Go out and make a low offer on a piece of property. Try to get it for 50% of its fair market value. Set the closing in 3 months. If they say no at least you started. If they say “yes”, you never know till you try, post it for sale saying something like, “25% below market value”. Watch them come running (but rememeber to always have a way out unless you can’t sell it by then).

Sorry for rambling on. I’m just a little excited about my new part-time career. Hopefully it will turn into full-time soon!Good Luck and never say die!

Re: Best Books/Courses to Start With - Posted by DanM(OR)

Posted by DanM(OR) on April 19, 1999 at 18:09:47:

Bill,

I read his book, which was very good by the way. It gave me some ideas that were great. However, he subscribes to the buy and hold strategy mainly, which I do not. That’s not where I want to be ultimately. I’d rather be collecting cashflows from notes or have low maintenace Lease/Option deals set up.

Bottom Line: The book was worth the ~$15 or so. He also seems to have other overpriced seminars and programs. You would be better off buying something here.

Go for the hype but leave your wallet at home. At the very least it will serve to get you excited about RE.

Best of luck!

Dan Matejsek