Best tub surround for a rental MH

Mike shows using melamine (what I call tile-board, available at Lowes and HD), but I am leary of it swelling if the board gets wet behind the vinyled surface, particularly at the caulked bottom edge that sits on the tub . . . I have been usingthe cheapo $45 Lowe’s 5 piece plastic surround. I have an U-G-L-Y surround that I am considering replacing with FRP (the bubbly textured Fiberglas Reinforced Plastic panels that you see in gas station pi$$ers) or something else. The downside is that there are not shelves in the corners like there are with the 5-piece, but the FRP is nearly bulletproof.

Keeping iin mind, this is for a rental MH that i own, not for a LD that needs to look nice and turn over - I need a long-lasting, low maintenance, landlord-friendly economical fix

What are your favorites, Tony, lando, shawn, joe–ga, Clinton, and all . . .?

(I’m expecting Clinton to chime in and say something like used tires)

Steve, I have tried just about everything but FRP and that may well be something I try before too long.

The “tileboard” has held up rather well in a couple of units I have that already had it installed when I got them and I am planning on using it in a doublewide that I have coming up for section 8 annual inspection in the next 6 months.

Like Mike’s video says, if it does fail for some reason it is not hard to replace or just lay a new section over the old (have not tried that yet).

I have tried ceramic tile which looks the best but I have not had these projects long enough to detail how they held up.

I have done 5 piece but prefer teh one piece tub surrounds except their price is much higher. No seams and ease of install were the selling points when I did those projects. They have held up for many years.

I look forward the comments from others.

Tony

I use the 1 piece surround

that i buy from Mh parts distributor. They are crazy expensive for just a piece of plastic-about $150. The 5 piece units have all of the lines that are calked when assembled, and the mildew and soap scum gets real bad -real quick. So much so that their appearance is soon unacceptable, and I wind up replacing them as the gunk can’t be cleaned from the caulk lines.The 1 piece units get dirty too but cleaning is effective for 10 years or so- Then some tub paint makes them shiny.

Also, when replacing tubs…buy a fiberglass unit, not ABS.

Tub surrounds

I use FRP over 3/8" plywood. I just evicted a tenant from the unit I first installed this in 6 years ago. Lots of scrubbing and re-caulking the tub joint and it looks like the day we installed it. Tile board=Masonite=useless.
Clinton

The plywood seems like a good idea to stand up to the wear and tear. I have not tried FRP but may consider trying it next. I have a few that will need new tub surrounds in the coming year. Something to consider.

Tony

[QUOTE=Clinton;881605]I use FRP over 3/8" plywood. I just evicted a tenant from the unit I first installed this in 6 years ago. Lots of scrubbing and re-caulking the tub joint and it looks like the day we installed it. Tile board=Masonite=useless.
Clinton[/QUOTE]

I’ve used Marlite and had good results and it tends to hold up well, so I recommend it even if you are holding on to the home for a long time.

It’s really economical and looks great when it’s done. With the foam trim and caulking there’s not much trouble with water or swelling. Generally water only get to it if if you scratch it, and most people don’t take their keys or anything else into the shower so this isn’t normally a problem. Also, even if you happen to have a problem years down the line, it is an easy replacement.

There are many ways out there to do the same repair. This is just the way that has worked well for me.

-Mike

turns out, there was melamine (tile board) on the two short walls, and horizontally mounted plastic sheet on the big wall. I FRP’d over the big wall; left the melamine. Good 'nuf for now, without having to do the whole thing. At tenant turnover, it will be re-done.

The best price I found online for a one-piece surround was $178, and them shipping on top of that. Locally, same thing for $220. Rivets and glue, but it just looked too cheesy and flimsy. The $50 surround at Lowe’s would be just as good, except for the caulking that shawn talked about. The one sheet of FRP cost $33 - I had some glue. Tile board was $12/sheet, but I just think that for a MH I am holding for rent, the bulletproof FRP is the way to go - I’ll spend the little extra. LL-friendly and all that.

I should look for some kind of soap dish I can attach . . .